Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> International Falls or Kenora Emergency Rooms?

Message Subject: International Falls or Kenora Emergency Rooms?
Musky Alan
Posted 8/29/2006 11:47 AM (#207094)
Subject: International Falls or Kenora Emergency Rooms?

Having just experienced both emergency rooms in one week, I would now tell everyone to go to International Falls!!!!!!!!! Even if you are closer to Kenora, unless you are in dire straights. I spent three hours in Kenora's with a Marv's Spinnerbait burried in my right wrist and only 50 mins. at International Falls. Plus if you are an American as soon as you walk through the door in Kenora it is $165.00. I could not believe there was no medical center at Souix Narrows, that would take me I was fishing WhiteFish bay.
CommonSense Guy
Posted 8/29/2006 11:55 AM (#207099 - in reply to #207094)
Subject: RE: International Falls or Kenora Emergency Rooms?

The ER outside of town would not take you?
MuskieMedic
Posted 8/29/2006 1:13 PM (#207121 - in reply to #207094)

Unfortunately, it's worst come worst served first in our line of business. Three hours is nothing to wait for something like that, you can expect to wait 6-8 hours in most large cities for a non life threatning injury. The average ER visit is over $1000.
Shep
Posted 8/29/2006 1:32 PM (#207128 - in reply to #207121)

Wife broke both tib/fib above her ankle several years ago on a bad launch just north of Kenora. I took her to Kenora Hospital on a Saturday, the day we got to Canada. Bad break, like the Tim Krumerie thing at the Super Bowl. Anyway, the Doc on call was a Dr. Diamond. Little wisp of a girl, she looked to be about 16. It was quite clear when I saw her gasp when she looked at the X-Rays, it was the worst break she had seen, by far. She wanted to call in a general practitioner to operate, and put in a plate and screws. I had called our insurance on-call Dr., and her hubby was an Orthopedic surgeon. I talked with him, and he said under no circumstance should I let a general practitioner operate! He then instructed her, Dr. Diamond, on how to stabilize the leg with an open cast, and instructed me to get Beth home to him, or to a hospital with an Ortopedic surgeon. Found out she had an Uncle in Winnepeg, so the next day, we put her in the back of the truck, and took her to Winnepeg. The first Doc We ran into was a bit put off when I told him I would only talk with an Orthopedic type. But he got one, and they set the leg. No surgery, but she was over 7 months before that leg healed! I've never seen an X-Ray like that. The bones shattered!

Overall, the care at the Winnepeg Hospital was pretty good, and her insurance covered her up there. Evidently, her company had a plant in Ontario somewhere. Total cost to me was about $300, and most of that was in Kenora for the hospice room she stayed in Saturday night. I'm not sure I'd like to have to go to the Kenora Hospital again.

Edited by Shep 8/29/2006 1:33 PM
kap n jim
Posted 8/29/2006 1:32 PM (#207129 - in reply to #207094)

I sat three hours with my kid in a small town (U.S.) ER room, I got tired of waiting and took the kid home and "fixed" him myself.....LOL
rpieske
Posted 8/29/2006 8:05 PM (#207175 - in reply to #207128)

An interesting anecdote about the Kenora Hospital. Some years ago the famous skier, Peeaboo Street's father was in the Kenora area fishing when he had a heart attack. They took him to the Kenora Hospital and he was treated in the emergency room and then placed in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). He was treated very well and recovered nicely.

Peekaboo Street was so pleased at the life saving treatment her father received that she donated $500,000 for a new Intensive Care Unit. The hospital named it after her and it is called the Peekaboo ICU.
cnnemusky
Posted 8/30/2006 5:10 AM (#207208 - in reply to #207094)

Last week I was presented the opportunity to visit the emergency room in International Falls. Sun down, new moon, hitting our best reef. Topwater blast, surely a musky. It was a northern, so I went for the quick release. This resulted in a hook in the right index finger in the joint. After quick action with the bolt cutter, we seperated me from the fish. The location of the hook prompted us to go to the ER. We went back to camp, as we were camping on the rocks, and tore down camp. At about 10:00, we took off in the black of the night, and do I mean black. I drove via the GPS bread trail I had created, while my partner stood in the back with the spotlight looking for deadheads. 20 miles back to the mainland and another 1.5 hours to IF adn we were in the ER. 30 minutes later we were on the road. They did a great job and were very friendly. A half hour after we left, we took out a deer. Missed the car, but hit the boat, thankfully only minor damage.

It was nice to have the GPS bread trail and the spotlight. I guess you need to be prepared for everything.
rpieske
Posted 9/1/2006 11:30 AM (#207538 - in reply to #207094)

Nobody liked my corny Peekaboo ICU joke?
cnnemusky
Posted 9/1/2006 11:46 AM (#207540 - in reply to #207094)

Ha, sorry, a little dense these days!!! Very good!
Sab
Posted 9/1/2006 12:03 PM (#207542 - in reply to #207538)

I'd heard it before,but I think everyone took you seriously.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)