Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Must have lures For Fall Fishing

Message Subject: Must have lures For Fall Fishing
Jimfish
Posted 9/15/2006 1:29 PM (#209422)
Subject: Must have lures For Fall Fishing

Going up to the Chip 1 st weekend of October and want to make sure I got the right lures with. What would you experts bring with, secret spots would be great too
Jim
fish4musky1
Posted 9/15/2006 1:47 PM (#209424 - in reply to #209422)
Subject: RE: Must have lures For Fall Fishing

you can go to tysennett.com, he fishes the chip alot. he has reports all the time and when it starts getting around the time you head up
check what he's using. i would bring some big game twitch baits in natural colors, big suicks in natural
colors and big bucktails. also quick strike rigs for suckers.
muskymeyer
Posted 9/15/2006 2:55 PM (#209432 - in reply to #209422)

Don't forget the topwaters . . . . . globes, creepers and hawg wobblers . . .toppers too.

Corey Meyer
muskihntr
Posted 9/15/2006 3:00 PM (#209434 - in reply to #209422)

with those cowbells ringin anywhere and everywhere i dont think you can pass up tossin those around thru oct!!! no signs of that bite letting up anywhere yet!
Gotta Have It
Posted 9/15/2006 4:30 PM (#209440 - in reply to #209422)

Check for water conditions first. Turnover-wise. Pre, during or after.
A couple of big Suicks. Can't go wrong anywhere with a Suick in October.
I agree, don't put away the top-waters. I go for Weagle type lures in the cold water and work them slowly and deliberately.
Another one that I like is a single spin spinnerbait. 2 or 3 ounces. Work it high, low and right through the crap.
Phantoms, Perkas, Shakers and more gliders of your choice.
Read the post about deep running gliders in this forum. Good info on how-to working gliders, and not just deep.
Lastly some big twitch/pull baits like Slammers. Some days it's a twitch/rise that gets them, other times it's a longer pull/pause/pull that get's them.
Ranger
Posted 9/15/2006 7:08 PM (#209450 - in reply to #209422)

A sorta new slop bait to consider....

I use the big Johnson Spoons in HEAVY slop move fish big time here locally and they are the most weed-free baits I've ever found. Problem for me is to find the proper tail to make the bait wobble side to side wide and consistent. Like, a 4" Mister Twister Tail on a mediium sized Johnson spoon, with a light (18#) leader, well, that sucker comes back thru the slop clean and wide and loud and man does it boat fish in the fall. But you need more bulk than the 4"ers on the big sized Johnson Spoons and so far I cannot find the right trailer to make it work right. And heavy leaders prevent the medium Jspoons from working right. I just bought a bag of "Ribbit" lilly pad rubbers, twin tails and about 5" long, with bulk in front. We'll see. Honestly, last out when I was struggling to find what worked, I ended up putting two different trailers on the same big Johnson spoon to get the right wobble. It worked, sorta, as I caught a couple really big bass.

Anyway, those Johnson Spoons are killer to bring thru the slop, weed free, and cast again. No downtime and they move fish if the wobble is workling. Someone tell me the right trailer, for the big spoons!!

Edited by Ranger 9/15/2006 7:08 PM
MuskieMike
Posted 9/15/2006 8:10 PM (#209457 - in reply to #209422)

Old 8 inch Shaker .....
MuskieMedic
Posted 9/15/2006 11:12 PM (#209474 - in reply to #209422)

My two favorite early fall baits are a Topraider and a 10" Jake.
Raider150
Posted 9/16/2006 1:36 AM (#209476 - in reply to #209422)

If your going the 6th 7th and8th
be prepared for a lot of company. One of the chapters of muskie inc. is having a tournament that weekend.
it's open to everybody tho .
Donnie3737
Posted 9/16/2006 7:17 AM (#209487 - in reply to #209422)

I'd definitely get ahold of Luke Breyer about his # 10 Colorado bladed bucktails....these have maraboo, tinsel, and flashaboo....they turn some big girls heads. I think that I have been missing the boat as far as bucktails go in the fall. Last year I actually caught a couple of fish LATE, when the water temps were 44 degrees.

http://www.muskiemojo.com

Donnie
h2os2t
Posted 9/16/2006 9:35 AM (#209501 - in reply to #209422)

Ranger - You might have something with that Johnson spoon. I Fellow (not a serious musky fisherman) that works for the same place I do was on Vermilion and his dad caught a 55" Musky on one. Artistic anglers is doing the mount for him for free so they can make a mold to do graphite mounts. I think he will be a hard core musky guy with a little coaching (catch and release is on the list).
fish4musky1
Posted 9/16/2006 12:13 PM (#209508 - in reply to #209422)

as far as slop baits i like to use slopmasters, sluggos and im working on a new weedless tiger tube.
with the slopmaster i will cast it right into the water celery and burn it on the top and right when it
gets off the edge of the celery stuff the blade spins and i get strikes like that. a sluggo rigged weed-
less and go through ANYTHING. sometimes you see a big surfacer up in the really thick stuff and the
best way i have found to work a lure through it is the sluggo. i have yet to catch any muskie on the sluggo but i
think i will sometime, it just looks too good over the thick weeds.
firstsixfeet
Posted 9/17/2006 8:44 PM (#209686 - in reply to #209422)

I am not sure how this thread turned to slop baits, as I don't feel this is a particularly hot pattern in October on the chip. Water is generally low and pretty clear and though I am sure some still relate to slop, I would look at more traditional pull baits, and spinner baits, with surface baits thrown in, than worry about spending a lot of time in slop. It is a good time to get on deeper bars, sharper points that would not be maybe as appealing to fish in summer months and of course the bogs and stump bars. A lot of fish start to show on what might be considered "small" structures at that time of year. I never have the feeling that fish in cold water are looking for a big dinner plate, they are looking for the nicest little tuck they can find and will feed on an opportunistic basis when something comes along.

Generally the water is in a drawdown mode for the fall and it just isn't the type of condition where you find fish up on flats of most any kind. They might adjust a little to falling water, but in most cases I have viewed, it is a negative for flats or bars coming up off flats.

If you find yourself in ANY condition with rising water, go up and go shallow, fish will follow even in cold water.

Edited by firstsixfeet 9/17/2006 8:45 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)