Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Battery & charger ?

Message Subject: Battery & charger ?
THE FERD
Posted 4/23/2006 4:05 PM (#188520)
Subject: Battery & charger ?

I am looking into buying a new Battery and possibly a charger for my 12 volt minn kota 55 lb trolling motor . I have a history of killing battries and don't have a clue why and need a little help on the subject Oh and just a heads up I am about as mechanicly inclined as a potato chip so please keep it simple . I'm looking for suggestions on a good battery and possibly a charger that will mantain it properly . Oh and I'm on a "walmart Budget" so don't go to high end on me . Thanks .

THE FERD

AWH
Posted 4/23/2006 6:10 PM (#188524 - in reply to #188520)
Subject: RE: Battery & charger ?

Actually, Wal-Mart does have some decent batteries. I have some Ever Start batteries that I bought at Wal-Mart and they've served me well. Get the biggest battery that you can fit in your boat. They make them in 24, 27 and 31 Series. I went with the 27 Series because the 31 were too big to fit in my battery compartment.

After 4 years of using my batteries very hard, I bought two new batteries this year. Not because the Ever Starts weren't good anymore. I just felt that their life was probably near its end. I opted to get Trojans for my trolling motor this time. That has nothing to do with my experience with the Ever Starts because I have no complaints. I've just heard nothing but great things about the Trojan batteries, so I went that direction this time. Although they are more money.

Chargers...I would recommend a good quality on-board charger. Lots of different quality brands to choose from. I have a Guest and it's been great. Minn Kota has some nice chargers. And there's two other very good brands that I'm totally blanking on at the moment. I would recommend a 2 bank charger. One bank for your deep cylce and one to run to your starter. How many amps to each bank depends on your needs. If you want your battery charged in less than 10 hours, go with a 10 amp output. If you can get by with a 12 hour charge time, 5 or 6 amps will get you by just fine.

You want one that will turn off when it's fully charged. There are some cheap end on-board chargers. I would definitely steer away from those. There's reasons their cheap.

Aaron
Derrys
Posted 4/23/2006 8:03 PM (#188532 - in reply to #188520)

This is somewhat off-topic, but maybe someone reading this thread has some information.

Years back, when people first started using the two-battery 24 volt system, I read an article about batteries. Rick Clunn, famous for Bass fishing, said that rather than the two-battery system, he used THREE golf cart batteries, and could fish even longer between charges. I was just curious to know if anyone out there has ever tried this, and if so, what they thought of it. Thanks.
Beaver
Posted 4/24/2006 3:45 AM (#188556 - in reply to #188520)

I trippled my battery life by running 2 12 volt batteries parallel. I had the room, so I stuck 2 in the compartment, hookd up an on-board charger and never looked back. Now I can fish weekends without worrying about recharging.
Beav
mikie
Posted 4/24/2006 6:37 AM (#188560 - in reply to #188520)

The two most important factors I've found for keeping a battery alive are:
*keep them up to a full charge; after every use charge them fully, then charge them once a week when not in use;
* check the water levels often and keep them full with distilled (not tap) water.

In case your charger does not have a 'all-done' light, they make hydrometers and guages that you can get at auto parts stores. good luck, m
pikemaven
Posted 8/10/2006 9:08 AM (#204435 - in reply to #188520)

Could be you have been overcharging the battery. Get an automatic battery charger.

Could be you have been allowing the fluid level fall below the plates. Check level frequently and add only distilled water.

Get a battery hydrometer and learn how to use it.

Shep
Posted 8/10/2006 9:27 AM (#204441 - in reply to #204435)

All good points and tips.

As Beav mentioned, you can nearly triple your running time by using two batteries in parallel. You don't have to get the most expensive batteries out there, either. For years, I bought my deep cycle batteries at Remy Battery in Milwaukee. Never had them last less than 4 years, and never paid more than $55. Good batteries. Because I moved from Milwaukee, my last batteries I got were Trojans, and they were $90. I don't know how long they will last, as I sold the boat.

As far as charging, don't skimp. I highly recommend Guest. Dual Pro, and MinnKota also have good chargers. 10 amps should be sufficient. You could do a 3 bank, and have a separate bank for each battery, including your starting battery. You'd have to remove the jumper from the two TM Batteries. Regardless, the charger must be FULLY Automatic, so it tops off the battery, and will not over charge. Charge the batteries after every use, and keep them charged. Keep them clean, and the cells topped off. Never let the electolyte get low enough to expose the plates.

You don't have to spend a ton of money for good batteries and charger. Just buy good stuff, and you'll have years of trouble free use.

Edited by Shep 8/10/2006 9:28 AM
Allstate48
Posted 8/10/2006 6:05 PM (#204497 - in reply to #188520)

Shep, just wondering, why do you have to remove the jumper between the two TM batteries? I've got a two bank charger, and have each lead to a battery. 12 volt system. Thanks Doug
Shep
Posted 8/11/2006 7:12 AM (#204568 - in reply to #204497)

When you have two batteries in parallel, there are two ways to charge them. one charger, while keeping them in parallel. or two banks, and removing the jumper, so they are isolated. If you run two banks, and don't isolate them, the chargers will be working against each other. You won't get a full, complete charge.

Marineco makes a switch to make isolation easy. Get it at West Marine, or Boat US if you have one nearby. Or maybe Fleet Farm.

Edited by Shep 8/11/2006 7:14 AM
Schuler
Posted 8/12/2006 4:35 PM (#204741 - in reply to #188520)

I would NOT suggest walmart batteries. I had one brand new that I set down and it started leaking acid really bad, burned my carpet and corroded bolts and ruined my clothes. The 2nd one I got lasted me 6 months. It was a group 27 deep cycle.

Do you have a powerdrive or autopilot by chance? The problem is you use a lot more battery with them since you are using the battery to turn the boat.

Going as large as possible is a smart move. Onboard chargers probobly are as well. I use a regular trickle charger (10 or 15 amp) and have never gotten more than 2 years out of a trolling motor battery. But I can run the motor all day (at a low speed) and never have it die with a group 31 battery.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)