Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> beer at NW Angle

Message Subject: beer at NW Angle
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/1/2006 3:06 PM (#203191)
Subject: beer at NW Angle

Headed to the angle friday, and was wondering about the beer situation. Last time there, we stopped at a tavern just inside the border, where they popped us for over 40 bones per case. I prefer the Canadien Labbatts, and was wondering if I could pick it up at the little duty free right inside the border there, and keep it in. I will not be bringing any beer from home, and would only buy the allotted case for bringing in. Has anyone done this there(warroad)? Anywhere else to get it nearby where I might not pay such an exorbitant price? Nice going up the east side, as there are lots of places to stop and pick up our favorite Canadien suds, for a decent price, but are not going to be over there this year...
rldourlain
Posted 8/1/2006 3:19 PM (#203194 - in reply to #203191)
Subject: RE: beer at NW Angle

Canada subsidises their health care with liquor and tobacco taxes. The Liquor Control board sets the price and it is the same all over Ontario. If you are going to bring in the legal limit of one case per person, then stop at the Duty Free in the US and buy it there. DO NOT try to get away with anything, as the duty will be almost equal what you already paid even if it is Canadian.

Bob
Muskie Treats
Posted 8/1/2006 3:41 PM (#203200 - in reply to #203191)

When we went up last year we declared we had more then the duty free limit and they just waived us through w/o paying the surcharge. Even if you pay the duty you're still usually cheaper to bring it up.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/1/2006 4:31 PM (#203205 - in reply to #203191)

Bob, you must have missed where I pointed out that I would not be taking anything in with me, eliminating the possibility of getting away with anything.... After several years and trips to Ontario, the rules are obvious.

I would just rather buy Canadien beer, hence my post. We just would rather not pay over $40 american for a case at the tavern I mentioned. Last year, we picked up 28 packs for about $22 American in Kenora(a bit more than we pay here for beer but as you said, the tax is a bit higher). I don't have a huge issue paying the $40 for one case, but I have a few friends going up at times that the stores will not be open, who want me to pick up their case as well, and it could get downright spendy at that rate. I was wondering if anyone had ever picked up beer at the duty free in Warroad when going into Canada, as the duty free there seems a bit different than some of the other border cities, as it does not have a U.S. side office or store to stop at before going in. I do realize that it is cheaper to bring our own in, but some of enjoy a cool Canadien beverage after a double shift of casting. I might just wait and get a few cans from Frank when we get up there, and skip the whole hassle.

Edited by Reef Hawg 8/1/2006 4:34 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 8/1/2006 4:57 PM (#203207 - in reply to #203191)

Go fish and save your drinking till you get home.
Ball Cap
Posted 8/1/2006 7:05 PM (#203216 - in reply to #203191)

Reef hawg:

I just went up to the NW Angle last week. I believe the only place to stop for booze is that little grocery/liquor store on the right hand side. I bought a bottle of Bacardi. The guy told us if we wanted Canadian beer, we would have to go to the tavern across the street.

I'm assuming it's the same tavern you are referring to. So unfortunately, it looks like you only have one choice.

I have heard from many people this year to expect to pay almost $2/can for beer in Canada. So your $40/case isn't too far off.

Midge
Posted 8/1/2006 7:14 PM (#203218 - in reply to #203191)

why don't you just sit in a bar somewhere instead.....jeez....
Sut'sgold
Posted 8/1/2006 8:31 PM (#203228 - in reply to #203191)

Beer when bought at "the beer store" turned out to be 32 dollars for a case of 28 labatts. That was two weeks ago. Good luck on your trip
dougj
Posted 8/1/2006 9:45 PM (#203244 - in reply to #203191)

There isn't any place to get Canadian beer from Warroad to the NW Angle except for the Sprague Hotel, at the going rate.

However, you can get all the beer you want at Jerry's at Young's Bay. They probably even have the US version of Molson or Labatts. It's a lot cheaper than the Canadfian version, and does the same thing!

Doug Johnson

Tiger
Posted 8/1/2006 11:23 PM (#203257 - in reply to #203191)

REEF HAWG,
last month we went to the upper french river... $40 a case is exactly what we paid for beer, HOWEVER,,, i wish we could have got labatts blue, we ended up buying,drinking,peeing,buying two types of beer ,,,1)-carlinger 2)-lake of the woods, all they had where we were.
we ran out of two cases of bud light the first night there. too bad your only aloud to take 1 case per person across the boarder but we was not taking any chances...
the two types of beer we bought was not that bad after the first 8 or 9.....
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/2/2006 7:30 AM (#203279 - in reply to #203191)

Thanks guys. I'll check the place at Youngs. Looking forward to a cool can of Labbatts is one of the fine points of my trip(not that it is the best beer in the world, just the nastalgia of it all each year). After nearly 17 hours of casting, it is well worth the wait!!
Serpant
Posted 8/2/2006 8:47 AM (#203288 - in reply to #203191)

See you up there. A group of us will be at Youngs Bay Friday morning until Monday/Tuesday. So pumped. Good luck to the guys heading over to Sab this weekend.

We'll be in a 617, 619 and 620.

Chris
CommonSense Guy
Posted 8/2/2006 8:51 AM (#203289 - in reply to #203191)

How about $10.50 for a pack of smokes.
Derrys
Posted 8/2/2006 9:03 AM (#203293 - in reply to #203191)

Our group always makes sure everyone has either a bottle, or the case of Beer each is allowed to bring over. I don't drink, but I take a case for the guys with me. Beer is expensive up there. I'd always take the case they allow you. You could sell it to your buddies for a profit. Ha ha.
MuskyTime
Posted 8/2/2006 9:43 AM (#203301 - in reply to #203288)

Hey Chris,

Will you be casting the "Thriller" Suick? LOL Good luck!

Ed Spoerl "fightingesox"
Serpant
Posted 8/2/2006 1:26 PM (#203340 - in reply to #203191)

Ha....you know it Ed, not to mention a custom colored mojo lure Luke put togethor for us. But I no longer can call that Suick "Cullpepper", nothing to do with purple anymore.

Hope all is well and I'll let you know how we do, hopefully with some good pics.

Chris
Posted 8/3/2006 5:35 AM (#203453 - in reply to #203191)

You might consider green beer to match the color of the water and the bloom that has come on in the last few day. Looks like the Chicago River dyed for Saint Patricks Day.
MUSKYJ
Posted 8/3/2006 9:31 PM (#203607 - in reply to #203191)

reef hawg.. check out Laker lager, Lucky lager or lakeport honey lager all for about 26 bucks a case canadian...
well worth the price...
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/16/2006 9:30 PM (#205357 - in reply to #203191)

Thanks for the recs. ended up getting the stuff at Sprague hotel for 32 a case. Stopped at Kitts duty free on way back and got it for 17 a case to bring home, and had to pay 1.30 a case duty at American customs..still worth it to see my wifes eyes light up when she got her surprise case of Blue Light. She could not make the trip this year, and could not have a beer last year when she was pregnant with Emma. Had a great trip to the Angle seeing and catching some big muskies. Thanks!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)