Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Heavy Fast vs. Heavy Medium

Message Subject: Heavy Fast vs. Heavy Medium
mm12463
Posted 6/17/2006 2:16 AM (#196685)
Subject: Heavy Fast vs. Heavy Medium

Okay this maybe a stupid question but what the heck.

If you have a heavy fast and a heavy medium rod what is the real difference. Obviously the fast is more sensative then the medium. Does it really make a difference? Let's say you have a 6'9" rod that you plan to use for jerkbaits and gliders. How will these to rods compare or differ. Just curious. I think I want to know because some makers make heavy/fast rods and others make heavy/medium. Seems like if they offer one, they don't offer the other so I am curious why they do that.

Thanks.
theedz155
Posted 6/17/2006 4:38 AM (#196689 - in reply to #196685)
Subject: RE: Heavy Fast vs. Heavy Medium

They are both Heavy powered rods.
The Fast/Medium referers to the action.
The faster action you get the more the action (bend) is going to be towards the tip.
I think the actions are slow, medium, mediumfast, fast and extra fast in that order.
I'm not a rod builder if that's not right, someone correct me.
Now, the problem comes in comparing one company to the next. I don't believe that there's an industry standard to rate a rod with. I think it's more of a company thing. Company A's mediumfast might compare to Company B's fast.
Hope that helps.

Scott
Posted 6/21/2006 6:34 AM (#197314 - in reply to #196685)

The last post was correct. It's refered to action or taper on some models. It gives an indication of where the bend will occur in the rod. Faster actio or taper means the bend in the rod is closer to the tip. Slow action (or slow taper) rods will appear to have almost the same diameter rod from handle to tip. So for your example if you were to compare the HF to HM, the HF will have a smaller diameter tip and the bend will appear about 80% up the rod where the HM will have a little fatter tip and the action or bend will be around 50% to 75% up the rod. Also the HF may be a little thicker diameter at the handle than the HM in order to achieve the fast action.
mm12463
Posted 6/21/2006 11:56 AM (#197356 - in reply to #196685)

I guess what I want to know is how does it effect your lures? Besides the need to have the right rod for the right weight of the lure.

For example you toss out a jackpot. HF vs. HM. How is that going to impact things? Maybe you toss a Phantom Glider, how will a HF vs. HM go? Guess I am just curious. Or am I thinking to dang hard? Or maybe a 10" jake or 10" grandma. What would you rather use or why.

Not a big deal just thinking is all. I need to pick up a jerkbait rod for gliders and jerks,etc and curious will a HF of HM make much of a difference or is it someting more personal and how one uses it. I really don't like talking about how to use my rod in public, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!

And you are right about the universal system for rating rods. Same thing with IM6,7,8, etc. All marketing and can't really compare it. So that probably explains my first part of the original question.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Edited by mm12463 6/21/2006 11:56 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 6/21/2006 12:26 PM (#197363 - in reply to #196685)

Well, Mike

I think it's largely a case of personal preference. I'd say for trolling you'd not want a fast action rod -- easier to break the tip.

I don't like fast action rods for casting heavier baits -- I like a little flex further down the blank, because it just seems to load up better. But for working certain lures, the right amount of flex in the tip of the rod makes all the difference in the world to me -- Weagles and phantoms are a perfect example -- I prefer the 7'6" MH fast action rod for WORKING those baits, but not necessarily for casting them..

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)