Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Top Raider repair

Message Subject: Top Raider repair
Bytor
Posted 7/5/2006 12:24 PM (#199347)
Subject: Top Raider repair

I think this has been discussed before....but I cannot find it with the search engine....
So how do you repair a loose weight in a Top Raider. I casted my favorite TR into a rock reef on Eagle last week, this bait has had some serious mojo for me and I would like to repair it. HOW?????
esox50
Posted 7/5/2006 12:35 PM (#199350 - in reply to #199347)
Subject: RE: Top Raider repair

Here you go! Good luck!

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18...
Shep
Posted 7/5/2006 12:52 PM (#199352 - in reply to #199347)

Here's one.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18...

I do mine a bit differently. I think I got the basic procedure from Mr. Sluggo. Drill a 3/16 hole in the top of the bait. rattle the weight into position. When it's in position, drop SuperGlue onto the weight. Let set. Fill the bait with Great Stuff, or another Brand of expanding foam. Use just enough that it just comes back out the hole. let set, and trim off the excess. Good to go. I usuallu smooth a thin layer of epoxy over it to seal, although I don't believe it's necessary.

I also like the way it runs a tad lower in the water, and seems to give a better, firmer plop-plop-plop, too. I only got about 7 more to fix. Maybe this winter!

Edited by Shep 7/5/2006 12:52 PM
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/5/2006 4:11 PM (#199386 - in reply to #199347)

We have another method(not that the other way doesn't work great), and my firend Erik helped alot with it. We now take a yellow handled file and use the side to file a square out of the top of the lure. then put the weight right where it belongs, and epoxy with the Devcon plastic weld(awesome stuff). Ace hardware plastic weld is nice too. Then apply some of the weld to the bottom of the piece of topraider you cut out, and replace it like a cap, and put a bit more weld over the top. Sand to perfect, and you'll never realize you cut into it. Fixing a couple tonight this way. One trick with new ones, is to drill a hole in the top right when you buy it, and drop some of the plastic weld to the weight below. This will eliminate ever having to get inside of it again, and reduce the cringing when your buddy keeps tossing it onto the rocks for you.
Bukes
Posted 7/5/2006 6:43 PM (#199405 - in reply to #199347)

RH, any chance of posting some photos of this fix?
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/6/2006 7:05 AM (#199449 - in reply to #199347)

Just did one last nigth but didn't take any pics. I'll rmember to do so on the next one. One thing I forgot to mention, is to make the beginning of the cuts with the file, then finish with the exacto knife(make sure you wear gloves). Being sure the weight is in the right place brfore gluing is the most important thing though. The weight is shaped to lay in the belly of the lure and it can only go one way(flat end of weight towards the back of bait against hook hanger). Will try to get pics of the next fix....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)