Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> flourocarbon-good or bad?

Message Subject: flourocarbon-good or bad?
mmgrode
Posted 5/7/2006 10:00 PM (#190721)
Subject: flourocarbon-good or bad?

Hey fellas,
what are your opinions on flourocarbon as a leader material? Is it sufficiently durable for musky teeth and gill rakers? Does seven strand or stiff wire spook fish? Thanks and God bless, Grodes
gordo2000
Posted 5/7/2006 11:10 PM (#190726 - in reply to #190721)
Subject: RE: flourocarbon-good or bad?

I've been using flourocarbon now for about three years, and I would say that it has increased the number of fish that I put in the boat significantly. I can rembember a trip up north with a fishing pal very clealry. I saw a lot of action with several follows, one musky in the lower 40's that I hooked and lost, and one in the upper 20's that I boated. My friend didn't see any action from musky at all. He runs the same rod and reel combo that I do with the same braided line along with very similar baits, but he was using a seven strand berkley leader. At first I thought it was just luck that I was getting more action, but on another outing in a southern lake we had very similar results. I boated 2 in the lower 30's and had several other follows. At the end of that day I suggested that the flourocarbon that I was using was the reason for all of the action. The next time we were out on the same lake he switched to flourocarbon. I had 5 follows that day, and he boated one in the lower 30's. I am convinced that it makes a bait look more natural in the water. As far as strength and durability, I caught my largest musky in the fall of 05 fishing from shore. It was 49 inches weighing around thirty pounds. We had to bust away about six feet of ice to get it in the net. There was not even a nick in the leader. GOOD STUFF!!!
sputterbug
Posted 5/8/2006 8:55 AM (#190762 - in reply to #190721)

I'll go out on a limb and say good and bad. See the many discussions on this site.
Schuler
Posted 5/8/2006 3:46 PM (#190836 - in reply to #190762)

Your going to hear people say they've caught hundreds of fish without a biteoff/breakoff and you'll hear people say they lost the fish of their life the first time they used it.
muskihntr
Posted 5/8/2006 4:03 PM (#190840 - in reply to #190721)

i make my own fluoro leaders, heres a writeup on them, feel free to give me a buzz or email me with any questions!!!

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/05.08.2006/1054/Stealth.Ta...
ToddM
Posted 5/8/2006 9:01 PM (#190894 - in reply to #190721)

This is my 6th year of using flouro leaders. I have some of my trolling leaders that have 30 fish on them without a nick yet. Never had a failer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)