Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trolling Set-up Questions

Message Subject: Trolling Set-up Questions
Spallgard
Posted 4/23/2006 6:05 PM (#188523)
Subject: Trolling Set-up Questions

I want to get a pair of trolling rod/reels. Am looking for recommendations for the following:

Linecounter reels

Trolling Rods

Line/leaders

Rod Holders

In-line Planer boards

What are you using?

Thanks
nxtcast
Posted 4/24/2006 6:04 PM (#188673 - in reply to #188523)
Subject: RE: Trolling Set-up Questions

I have 2 St Croix Trolling rods for sale on this site. I also have 2 SG27LC that are NEW!

[email protected]

Line I use 40lb big game

I use Big boards

Offshore clips

Reels Shiomano Tekota 500LC

Rod St. Croix CC80H

Leaders Seagar 60LB Florocarbon

Edited by nxtcast 4/25/2006 1:18 PM
THE FERD
Posted 4/25/2006 10:40 AM (#188776 - in reply to #188523)

Linecounter reels ............... okuma linecounters 39.95

Trolling Rods ....................... Bass Pro 7'6 catt max rods

Line/leaders .........................25 lb big game

Rod Holders .......................... down east salties

In-line Planer boards .............. don't use them for muskies

THE FERD
Shep
Posted 4/25/2006 11:34 AM (#188786 - in reply to #188776)

Linecounter reels. I have and use several. Shakespeare Tidewater LC's. OK LC, inexpensive.I've used them for about 5 years now, and have had no problems. Diawa Accudepth 47. Good reel, also inexpensive, good drag. Used these for about 3 years now, and they have held up well. Diawa Sealine 47. Best LC out there. $80. Nuff said.

Trolling Rods I use several, depending on where on the boat. Down Rods, Gander 7 1/2 foot Planer Board rods. Boat rods, Gander 8 1/2' Downrigger rods. Board Rods, Gander 9 1/2' Dipsey Diver rods. I also use 8' Classic Cats for my boat rods when the weather gets colder.

Line/leaders 25# Berkley Big Game 50 or 80lb Flourocarbon leaders.

Rod Holders Have used Scotty's the past 4 years. Will go with a new holder this year. Folbe out of Washington. Looks to be a better holder than Scotty's as far as the popping out goes. Salty's are good too, if you get them mounted decently.

In-line Planer boards Off-Shore.
tuffy1
Posted 4/25/2006 11:48 AM (#188789 - in reply to #188523)

I'm right there with Shep for the most part.

Reels: I have been using the Shakespeare Tidewaters as well with no problems at all, and they have gotten used quite a bit. Great price as well.

Rods: Shimano TDRs have held up as well. I don't remember the model #s, but they are 8 and 9 or 9.5 footers. Make sure to vary the size of the rods as Shep shows above to give your spread a nice layout and you don't run your baits too tight together.

Rod holders: Down East Saltys. I have the rail mount holders now, but used the clamp ons as well, and you won't find an easier, more durable holder out there.

Boards: Off Shore boards for me as well. Make sure to up the releases to the OR 18s if you are using superlines.

Lines: I run P-Line in 20lb test, Big Game in 25, and Power Pro in 80.
Spallgard
Posted 4/25/2006 7:47 PM (#188879 - in reply to #188523)

Thanks for the recommendations. Shep, I was considering the Scottys but have heard that they can pop out under some conditions also. I've looked at the Folbe holders. They look like they operate on the same principle as the Downeasters. I've used these (Downeasters) in the past on my old boat. Gave them away with the boat. They were bullet-proof. I am concerned about the composite holders lasting and taking the punishment of trolling large lures. As for the reel recommendations, I've been looking at pretty much what everyone has mentioned. Tica has a Seaspirit LC with a 5.1:1 ratio that sounds nice. I've reeled a couple of muskies in with an Abu Garcia winch reel. (3.8:1 ratio) Didn't like it at all. Had a hard time keeping up with the fish. Most of the reels you guys are using have 4.0:1 or 4.2:1 ratios. Must work OK. Anyway, with the info you guys have given me I'm sure I'll be alright. I'm going to look at some aluminum holders I saw at Thorne Bros. Didn't see a price on them but they were very solid.

Thanks again for the help!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)