Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "BEAUTIMATASTIC!"
- (Added by: MuskyTaleMike)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Primer???

Message Subject: Primer???
Cast-n-Blast
Posted 4/12/2006 9:15 AM (#187048)
Subject: Primer???

Question for all basement bait makers of the board. What is your absolute favorite type and name brand of primer to set the base for your paint jobs??? I have used water based, oil-based, and also Gesso which is what oil painters use for protecting the canvas from the oil paint and gives a nice solid white ground. So far, I have found the Gesso to be the best in both sealing the wood, and also not allowing the wood to discolor lighter color paint jobs like white and silver. Just wanted to find out what your experiences have been with priming the wood and what you feel is the best to seal the wood up good. I know pine and cedar can have a tendency to leach out resin causing a discoloration that can yellow the paint. What do you feel is best to prevent this??? Thanks
Decoy
Posted 4/12/2006 1:11 PM (#187091 - in reply to #187048)
Subject: RE: Primer???

For several years I've been using e-tex as a sealer. I know it's overkill but as a base for the primer it works great. Now, if I were producing large runs of lures I'd probably go to a oil based polyureathane or a water based poly as the sealer. E-tex also has the benefit of waterproofing the wood body and making it a little harder. On the sanded e-tex I use aa Valspar flat white primer, which seems to work well for me.
Beaver
Posted 4/12/2006 3:07 PM (#187122 - in reply to #187048)

For smaller jobs and for plastics, I use House of Kolor Ko-Seal Sealer/Primer. It's a 2 part mix that you can thain and airbrush,
Toughest basecoat that I've ever seen.
For other applications, I use polystyrene. Fast drying, and seals well. 2 coats is better than 1 on wood.

It's not cheap, but what is nowdays?
Beav
Cast-n-Blast
Posted 4/20/2006 12:11 PM (#188142 - in reply to #187048)

Beav, is that polystyrene stuff white in color??? I'm still looking for a primer that will seal up small openings so that it will also water proof to some degree. Is there such a beast???
Beaver
Posted 4/20/2006 6:27 PM (#188198 - in reply to #187048)

It's white, but it won't seal up little openings, unless you maybe dip it 3 times.
Expensive stuff.....$50 gallon.
Beav
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)