Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring-open water fishing

Message Subject: Spring-open water fishing
Doonan
Posted 4/4/2006 2:19 PM (#185690)
Subject: Spring-open water fishing

With the upcoming season fast approaching I can’t stop thinking about putting a 50 incher in the boat this year. On my lake here in Iowa there aren’t many 50 inch fish caught each year. I only know of one last year and that was caught by a walleye fishermen in the deepest part of the lake which is 22ft trolling a small shad rap in early June. At this time of the year we were fishing all of the classic spring spots with vegetation being the main ingredient, but we never caught or saw any fish over 44”. We do move out to open water in the fall and do quite well following the walleye fishermen around. I think with this body of water a lot of the really big girls are only in the shallows for a very short time, but I have no scientific evidence to back it up. My question is does any body ever open water troll/cast this time of year and with what kind of success? I plan on doing a lot of open water fishing through out this whole year on this particular body of water and hopefully with any luck I will start to get some sort of pattern going. The lake contains a large number of walleyes, bullheads, and, panfish. So any advice or tactics to get me started would be extremely helpful.
Raider150
Posted 4/4/2006 2:31 PM (#185691 - in reply to #185690)
Subject: RE: Spring-open water fishing

The only thing you can do is try. What does this lake look like a bowl or is there structure? Try the points coming out of spawning bays or first structural element. After that i would try trolling the open water looking for schools of baitfish and or large looking marks on my locator
Blummingflower
Posted 4/4/2006 3:51 PM (#185720 - in reply to #185690)
Subject: RE: Spring-open water fishing

Hi guys you got a PM Blummer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)