Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Muskies + Water + Color + Light = Powerful Confusi

Message Subject: Muskies + Water + Color + Light = Powerful Confusi

Posted 8/3/2002 8:33 AM (#39742)
Subject: Muskies + Water + Color + Light = Powerful Confusi

Sponge- Up north the problem is army worms. But they don't eat the pine needles. Hmmmmm, increased light from army worm infestation. Now I have to mark all my may lake map shorelines w/ vegetation code's and army worm infestation toooooo...... Arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Jason-My brain is full, may I be excused?

Al Warner

www.spongebobismypsychotherapist.com

Posted 8/3/2002 9:30 AM (#39743)

Well put Jason. Save that heavy thinking for those long hours at work.

Posted 8/3/2002 1:10 PM (#39744)

I see "6th sense" is mentioned...what about those poor folks out there who have "no sense"...will there be hope for them? I'm a little worried about THEM......[:0]
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/9/2006 10:38 AM (#181520 - in reply to #39736)
Subject: RE: Muskies + Water + Color + Light = Powerful Confusi

JLong- You know I have always been fascinated by the muskie's yellow cornea and how it affects their vision ( good project for one of you up & coming biologist's out there). I think it's time to resurrect this thread for the newbies, i.e., what's your/ or anyone's latest input on muskie vision & color's? Any new insights?

Obviously Dr. John New has done a bit of research in this arena. -> http://www.trentu.ca/muskie/biology/biol07.html

Here's a recent discovery, and Dr. New's research certainly seems to support a similarity for muskies, i.e., because they don't have the third cone. Perhaps nature had a better solution to aid their survival? That might explain why perch patterns are so good and those perch better be hiding during the twighlight times? ->

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml xml=/news/2005/12/06/ncolour06.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/12/06/ixhome.html

Sponge- yes the boot is still full!

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 3/10/2006 11:22 AM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/9/2006 10:44 AM (#181524 - in reply to #39736)

oops - hit the button twice

Edited by ESOX Maniac 3/9/2006 10:45 AM
Posted 3/10/2006 4:27 AM (#181661 - in reply to #1938)

really cool info, biggest problem i see with it is that when fishing for muskies how does a person prove that the color is what triggered the fish to bite versus vibration, versus speed, yes a little bit can help and i have been in the same boat when two color lures were used on identical rod/reel/line/leader combos were used and one outfished the other 18 follows to 2 4 fish ate to none. its not like we are fishing smallies or walleyes or largemouths where there are most likely multiple fish to play around with. like the previous post stated VERY LARGE POTENTIAL FOR OVER THINKING
Posted 3/10/2006 4:28 AM (#181662 - in reply to #1938)

sorry two identical color lures were used suppose the word identical is important
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/10/2006 12:02 PM (#181713 - in reply to #181662)

Guest, I really don't believe that you could make an absolute argument that color doesn't matter from your example. I don't recall ever saying that color alone will initiate a strike. There is a lot of missing information in your example, could it be the guy in the bow was the one getting all the follows & the fish?

Muskies do often use vision as a principle means of capturing prey. They also have a lateral line and ears. They all play a role in their daily struggle for survival. The fact remains that color & the behavior of light in water are important to understanding a little bit about the world beneath the surface of the water.

As for "VERY LARGE POTENTIAL FOR OVER THINKING". I suppose that could be very true, i.e., if your brain is not capable of not over thinking.

Sponge- I think the boot remains full.

Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 3/10/2006 4:38 PM
Lolleitta
Posted 3/26/2006 9:20 PM (#184339 - in reply to #1938)

Granted, I am new to this(two years). But, I have come to the conclusion that you just don't know what will trigger a strike from a musky. Color, presentation, light, temperature...the list goes on. I have watched many dvds and read plenty of literature. All intriguing, but somewhat irrelevent. Muskies are elusive. As top of the (fish)food chain, they have to be.
What seems to matter the most is time in the boat. If you are lucky enough to fish whenever you want, your musky in the boat ratio is going to be significantly higher. Pretty simple.
I did read Jason's article and found it interesting. Perhaps, I am too new this, but I have not been able to apply the theories to the real world and make them work. But, I will keep trying!!
muskynightmare
Posted 3/26/2006 11:32 PM (#184357 - in reply to #1938)

You would think, that in the two years that I've takien Lolleitta (Lori) fishing, she would have said "just throw something with some orange on it" because that is what i ALWAYS tell her. lol
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)