Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New York Muskie Fishing

Message Subject: New York Muskie Fishing
GLodden
Posted 3/6/2006 8:03 PM (#181094)
Subject: New York Muskie Fishing

This upcoming summer I will be working an internship in Corning, New York. I was wondering if anybody could give me some info on the area and if there is even good muskie fishing nearby. I am aware of Chautauqua, the St. Lawrence River and the Niagara River. I'm kind of hoping for places a little closer to the area. I am open to any advice or suggestions. Thanks for the responses in advance. Please PM me if you don't want to post. Thanks.

Grant
lambeau
Posted 3/6/2006 9:16 PM (#181109 - in reply to #181094)
Subject: RE: New York Muskie Fishing

i used to live north of there a bit at Ft.Drum...not too far of a drive up to the 1000 Islands and it'd be worth hiring a charter while you're out there.
also, i think Canadarago near Cooperstown has tigers?

http://www.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/fish/nyfish/Esocidae/muskellunge.htm...

some of the NY/PA/NJ crowd will have much better info for you.
mikie
Posted 3/7/2006 8:52 AM (#181166 - in reply to #181094)

Is this anywhere near where you will be? m

http://www.newyorkgameandfish.com/fishing/muskies-pike-fishing/ny_a...
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/7/2006 9:12 AM (#181168 - in reply to #181094)

Grant- You'll probably have to drive a couple of hours for the more well known muskie spots. According to the NY DEC has stocked ~ 50 lakes accross the state with tigers.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishspecs/piketext.ht...
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/press/pressrel/2005/200546.html

Check this out-> http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/foe4clst.html

It looks like the Susquehanna River (tigers)between Emira and Binghamton, the Chemung River (tigers) or Lake Waneta (muskies) may be your best shot's locally. you might check with the local NY DEC office/fisheries biologist.

While you're in Corning- don't miss spending a day at the "Corning Glass Museum"- fascinating place.

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 3/7/2006 9:12 AM
GLodden
Posted 3/7/2006 12:17 PM (#181199 - in reply to #181094)

Thanks for the info guys. Esox, I'll be interning at Corning Inc. so I'm sure I will be touring their museum at some point. I have heard from quite a few people that it is great.

Thanks again guys,
Grant
BenR
Posted 3/7/2006 12:21 PM (#181200 - in reply to #181094)

I am not sure where you are going to be located, but NJ NY border near the hudson valley just outside NYC has numerous lakes with great fishing for muskie...checkout www.mi22.com....should help you a bit...
Ben
snaggletooth
Posted 3/7/2006 2:35 PM (#181220 - in reply to #181094)

Grant,

You're about 30 miles south of the Finger Lakes region. Its very different than the midwest, but beautiful in its own way. Big, long, deep clear lakes, some to over 400 feet, like Seneca Lake.
Keuka Lake, just west of Seneca, has tigers. Lots of winerys and resorts on the lakes where you can rent boats, too.
If you're a NASCAR or road racing fan, you're only 30 some miles away from Watkins Glen, at the southern end of Seneca Lk.
When I was there I wanted to fish in the worst way, but it was all work & then leave.
scott24
Posted 3/7/2006 4:47 PM (#181242 - in reply to #181094)

The Finger Lakes area really is beautiful country. (I've heard a few of those ponds offer up some nice Lakers.) I hope you get to take some time to enjoy it. I've heard great things about Chautauqua but haven't yet fished it. The Larry is..well, THE Larry. The 1000 Islands could be the source of the next Big One. I have fished the Grass and have yet to break the 48" mark. It's hit by local residents; I've seen some 35"-ers on stringers. It's very nice for a few hours in a canoe after work if a little action is all you're after. Sure beats mowin' the lawn! Despite the 3 hour drive to the 1000 Islands, I offer this advice: hit the St. Lawrence, hire a guide for the first outing. Learn about one or two small areas that are known to produce and focus on them for the duration of your stay. Over the course of the summer, you'll find some handsome fish. There is a bait shop right where I-81 meets Rt. 12, creatively called "The Thousand Islands Bait Shop." You can stock up on whatever you need there.
Welcome to New York. We got fresh air and hicks up in these parts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)