Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Setting the menu

Message Subject: Setting the menu
MuskyHopeful
Posted 3/3/2006 11:21 PM (#180742)
Subject: Setting the menu

I have often seen the term "lure progressions" bandied about on the message boards. I'm assuming there are threads detailing this terminology, but I have not found them. How much does the order baits are presented change depending on the body of water, weather, the season, etc.? For a newbie like myself, is it better to begin fishing with a set progression?

Cranks, jerks/gliders, topwaters, spinners/bucktails, Tubes/creatures/jigs, soft plastics; there's lots of ingredients. How do you guys and gals design a menu to attract the ladies? In what order do you MOST often bring them to the big girl's table?

It's been my experience that a well prepared meal makes a world of difference when trying to impress a lady. A couple nice bottles of wine, a shrimp dish (unless there are allergy issues), and a luscious dessert rarely fail me. A White Russian after dinner is also useful. Of course in my world, the ladies have always had legs instead of fins, and for the last sixteen years I've been cooking for the same pair of legs. I know what she likes. These new girls are a mystery.

Kevin

A plan without fun is a job.

ulbian
Posted 3/4/2006 1:20 AM (#180749 - in reply to #180742)
Subject: RE: Setting the menu

I'm sure you'll get different responses on this...

For me my focus to begin with is on colors. Strangely enough I rarely throw bucktails but stick more to twitch baits, gliders, and jerkbaits. I try to establish a confidence bait on the spot based on water clarity. If it doesn't look good to me or I don't feel comfortable working it I'll quickly switch to something that does until I find it. Postive attitude is a big big thing in my book and if I am struggling to find it in those baits I listed above a pacemaker or creepenstein never fails to please.
Sponge
Posted 3/4/2006 7:06 AM (#180752 - in reply to #180742)

Edited by Sponge 8/23/2006 9:55 AM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/4/2006 10:06 AM (#180768 - in reply to #180742)

Kevin- An excellent question. The Sponge Master gave you some good advice, allthough it probably helps to have been born in the mountains of VA & W. VA to fully comprehend the message.

My answer: The is no logical progression. Always experiement a little- sure your invitaion for a Long Island Ice Tea might get accepted, and you're probably going to have a high probability of scoring. But, she just might go for green tea too. You can also help significantly reduce the learning curve on menu selection via a lot of information threads here on MF. I'd also suggest Dick Pearson's book "Muskies on the Shield" as a must read for anyone just starting.... A lot of what Dick says can be applied to muskies anywhere. Another great source to understand lures, color's, presentations, etc, are a series of articles written by Jason Long (MF member "jlong"). Some of Jason's writings can be found here on Todd Forcier's website -> http://www.forciersguideservice.com/articles.shtml

If you do a search by author - just click the search button at the top of this page, and type in what you are looking for or the specific author. Don't forget to set the search date limit. It's last logon by default-I use all posts if I don't know a specific timeline. There are some good discussion threads with Jason Long in the MF Research Forum -

f. ex. ->http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/search/query.asp action=search&searchforumid=15&keywords=&author=jlong&days=

Do the same for other guy's like Doug Johnson (dougj)

Also for a real technical/scientific read on some of this stuff, ESOX Research Company (ERC) has a great compilation of web links on their website. -> http://www.esoxresearch.com/erc_web/research/index.html

They also have some musings by Dick Pearson -> http://www.esoxresearch.com/erc_web/dick_p/index.html

As you already know each girl is a bit different. Therefore, instead of buying 10 of this ingredient, 10 of that ingredient, select 1 of each from a diverse selection of ingredients i.e., diverse samples to help compose the final menu. Learn how to cook with each ingredient. She may like Chinese, and it could be a serious wrong move to serve her meatloaf. Then learn how the ingredients can be incorporated in specific recipes for sucess, progressions. You've already got a head start, i.e., that the art of sucess is interpreting the right signals to select the main menu item's and the progression of appropriate presentations, i.e., the location, lighting , mood, and atmosphere, etc. Don't give up you will score!

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 3/4/2006 10:07 AM
Sponge
Posted 3/4/2006 10:33 AM (#180771 - in reply to #180742)

Let's rename this "setting the record straight"; twas born in Louisiana...then again, not much diff eh? Anyhoos, you always hear the stories 'bout the BEEG GIRL peeps have seen but never subdued...forgot to mentioned one we named Twirl S. Buck(after the famous writer); tried to take 'er down at a matinee one time...she spun around a few times, kicked 'er legs up and daggone nigh threw me up in the balcony, so there is an element of danger involved...looking forward to when you and Slamr hit the water!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)