Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Shallow lakes

Message Subject: Shallow lakes
Lil' Red
Posted 3/3/2006 2:24 PM (#180694)
Subject: Shallow lakes

Does anyone out there regularly fish lakes that are less than 20' deep...and "consistently" put fish in the boat?

99% of the articles about musky fishing relate to deeper water, flowages, or stuff that just really doesn't seem to apply to the shallow lakes we have here....20' max depth, sand bottom, zero rocks/gravel/boulders, no "cabbage" weeds (just lots of coontail).

Do the normal strategies apply everywhere or do we need to write our own strategies?

Thanks,

Lil' Red
sworrall
Posted 3/3/2006 3:38 PM (#180703 - in reply to #180694)
Subject: RE: Shallow lakes

Absolutely. Many of the lakes I fish are maximum depth less than 20. The same techniques apply as do elsewhere, just adjusted to depth. I do REALLY well in the 'slop' much of the year. Moving water? Key if there. Wood? Weeds? Coontail, inside and outside edges and pockets. Subtle breaklines of 2' can hold fish.
wave walker
Posted 3/3/2006 3:51 PM (#180707 - in reply to #180694)

it works on little lakes an shallow lakes. things are a lot smaller. think of a 6in dropoff than 25 foot dropoff . very small spots ok .they got 100yds of rocks that drop. that has two breaks 15an 35 feet .we got one rock on a point that one little stone means everything .little change in the weeds or a solf bottom or it might be a stick or something that makes things differnt coontail might be tall or short could be thick or thin. just a little change small things add up
frzbrn61
Posted 3/4/2006 4:08 PM (#180796 - in reply to #180694)

the musky i missed,are they freqent the same area,ur not going to believe the one that miss my shad rap lure,i live in NJ
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)