Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> On- board chargers

Reply New post
Message Subject: On- board chargers
Matt Collins
Posted 2/26/2007 12:26 PM (#241595)
Subject: On- board chargers

Will 5 amps per bank give you enough to charge a 27 or 31 series battery overnight if the battery is more than half drained?
Thanks
Raider150
Posted 2/26/2007 12:47 PM (#241597 - in reply to #241595)
Subject: RE: On- board chargers

no
Shep
Posted 2/26/2007 3:05 PM (#241643 - in reply to #241597)

Nope. Use a 10 amp for those deepcycles to get them charged up right quicker.
bn
Posted 2/26/2007 3:11 PM (#241644 - in reply to #241595)

I don't agree...it depends on the charger...I have a Pro Tournament 150 by Pro Mariner...it has 5 amps per bank...but what it does is it puts the amps where they are needed..so say your starting battery is topped off after an hour..those 5 amps are then split to the other 2 banks..I have NO problem charging 31 series AGM's overnite from 50%
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 2/26/2007 5:04 PM (#241670 - in reply to #241595)

It depends how late you stayed out the day prior, how much wind you were working, thus how dead the batteries were before you attempt to charge them AND how long you have before you plan to return to the lake with fully charged batteries. If you worked them hard and hope to get to the lake within 6 hours of repeating, I would say NFW! You get what you pay for. CSI makes a 15amp charger by 3 or 4 banks. That will ensure you don't miss a beat on a long night before a windy day on the water.
Raider150
Posted 2/27/2007 9:28 AM (#241789 - in reply to #241670)

" MORE POWER " as Tim Allen would say.
ghoti
Posted 2/27/2007 10:00 AM (#241800 - in reply to #241595)

Pretty simple math.
5 amps per hour times the # of hours charged.
If you used 70 amps in a days use, charged for 10 hours, you would leave the dock with less than a full charge.
Shep
Posted 2/27/2007 11:32 AM (#241812 - in reply to #241644)

bn - 2/26/2007 3:11 PM

I don't agree...it depends on the charger...I have a Pro Tournament 150 by Pro Mariner...it has 5 amps per bank...but what it does is it puts the amps where they are needed..so say your starting battery is topped off after an hour..those 5 amps are then split to the other 2 banks..I have NO problem charging 31 series AGM's overnite from 50%

He said 5 amps per bank. He also said more than half drained. He also didn't mention the type of battery. Sure, you can add the 2 1/2 amps from the starting battery, IF it's charged beofre the TM batterys. I might be wrong, but the starting battery on my last boats always seemd to require more time to charge than my TM's on an average day.

Also, it is better for the battery to charge at the highest rate possible, up to a point. It's better to charge at 10 Amps than at 5 Amps. It's better to charge at 20 Amps, than it is at 10 Amps, AS LONG as the battery will accept that charge rate. If it doesn't, you will create heat at the terminals, and that will mean the rate is too high. Could happen with a 20 amp charger. Rare that it would happen with a 10 Amp charger.

I'll have the Guest 2631 10/10/5 chaarger on my boat this year.
jonnysled
Posted 2/27/2007 11:47 AM (#241816 - in reply to #241595)
Subject: Re: On- board chargers

i assume that's 10 and 10 to the 24-volt t.m.'s and the 5 feeds the cranker? i'm also going to go to a 3-bank with a 24-volt t.m. setup this year and am wondering the best route to go. my thoughts are to have all aux. stuff on the cranker and leave the t.m.'s alone to themselves. is this the smartest way to go? ... my aux. stuff will be 2 25c units and more than likely would like both of them on while fishing .... any advice is appreciated.

oh, and i'm upgrading to the trojan gels for all 3 batteries. i'm one who has had battery performance issues especially during big, rough water days and don't want that happening again. shouldn't i be able to do this with a 24-volt t.m. on a 20' ranger?

thanks guys ... chemistry? ... yes .... electronics? .... i'm the village idiot
Matt
Posted 2/27/2007 12:03 PM (#241821 - in reply to #241595)

The 3-bank charger in question is one of the new minn-kota chargers. The boat came with it. I put Dekka AGM batteries in it. They are the 31 series batteries. I was concerned about the low amp rating of the charger, but the marine mechanic swears by the lower amp rated chargers, and that they will extend the battery life. I've had onboard chargers in my other boats, but always had 10 amps per bank. I always had a full charge on my batteries with about 6 hours of charging. I wander if they will exchange the new 15 total amp charger for the 30 amp charger?
bn
Posted 2/27/2007 1:12 PM (#241846 - in reply to #241595)

I could be wrong..but shouldn't your starting battery almost always be at a full charge if you are running around during the day as the alternator or stators should keep the starter topped off???

at least that is what I had always thought..my starter charges in no time at the end of the day and then the other 5 amps are converted over to the other 2 trolling motor batteries.

I was told by a walleye pro who reps for Pro Mariner that pretty much every walleye guy that is sponsored by Pro Mariner went with the 150 tournament pro as for whatever reason Pro Mariners charging system is better than most and 10 amps per bank is not needed. That being said, I have had my batteries down to 40-50% or so (or so it says on the minn kota) and they have been charged up in a very short nite and back out in the morning...

get the biggest amperage your batteries and budget will allow but my 15 amp Pro Tournament by Pro Mariner is all most fishermen will need....

bn
Posted 2/27/2007 1:14 PM (#241847 - in reply to #241595)

Matt, I personally think your 15 amp charger will do fine..unless you are fishing mille lacs for 16 hours and need to be back out in 4....then go bigger...
Shep
Posted 2/27/2007 2:02 PM (#241859 - in reply to #241847)

Being as that I do as much walleye fishing as I do musky fishing, I am not usually running all over the place. I spend a lot of time on the bowmount, way more than on the big motor, so my cranking battery doesn't get a lot of charge time on the water.

I'm not going to get in any kind of big arguement here. I'm an Electrical Engineer, and I know what I know. What I said above is true. It is better for the batteries to charge at a higher rate. 10 is higher than 5. 20 could be too high as it might create heat at the terminals. I'm sticking with my 10/10/5 Guest. The 10/10/10 Minn Kota is also a good charger. The 5/5/5 Minn Kota may work very well for you. But you may run into a situation where you will be lacking full charge in the morning. And I'm not saying the ProMariner is not a good charger. If it works for you, that's great.

Sled, yes, the 10/10/5/ is the two TM's and the Cranking Battery. I ran my LXC111 and a 334 all day long, plus livewell aeration, and bilge pumps. Never had an issue. I do not advise connecting electronics to the TM battery. Noise could be an issue.
JohnMD
Posted 2/27/2007 3:52 PM (#241884 - in reply to #241859)

I'm with Shep 10/10/5 will do for the majority of folks, Too add what Shep said about not connecting the Electronics to the TM batteries I went a step further and added a 4th Battery just for the electronics, the 4th battery runs all electronics,lights,radio,bilge pump, the signal on my GPS,Depthfinder and FM radio are a clean as can be with no noise whatsoever.

Plus the 4th Battery is a great backup for "Just In Case"

Reef Hawg
Posted 2/28/2007 8:54 AM (#241999 - in reply to #241595)

I run a Dual Pro onboard 10 per bank and wouldn't go with anything less, though I like to fish late into the night, and often am in remote areas using a generator, so I like the security of knowing I'll be charged in the morning no matter what. My system lasts all day long with two dekka marine master batteries, using them as hard as anyone can. I wouldn't think twice about getting those batteries again, as I feel the value cannot be beat, and not enough performance gained by upgrading. I might think differently when I get a bigger boat than 17', but doubt it....

As far as hookups, I used to buy into the starting battery only deal for my electronics. Now I do what works best in my rig. I run my rear lcx 25 to one tm battery, the nmea 2000 to the other, and my front locator and other accessories to the starting battery. I was(even after going through all noise reduction steps) getting more noise from my motor on my lcx 25 than I do on my trolling motor, and it was very irritating. Besides, when I study the 25, I am driving the rig, and when on the trolling motor, I am focussing more on the front unit, which is on the starting battery allowing for the least amount of noise in either when using them as primary.

Edited by Reef Hawg 2/28/2007 9:04 AM
Posted 2/28/2007 9:32 AM (#242010 - in reply to #241595)

I have a question on 'best practice' to wiring a boat. I see some patterns forming here and my boat doesn't match. I have a 17' Targa with a 52lb/12V TM, 2 Eagle 320 graphs (1 bow/ 1 Cons) some other accessories I don't hardly ever run and I have 2 AGM 27's and 1 Interstate Cranking battery and for charging a 3 bank Dual Pro 45A (15/15/15). The previous owner said he wired all the accessories to the TM so that he never has to worry about running the starting battery dead. What would be your suggestions to get the most out of my TM batteries for longer trolling life on the water? Also my front graph gets screwed up once in awhile (doesn't read depth or get right sonar reading) could this be linked to the electrical noise everyone is talking about? Everything on the boat is in pretty much new condition so it seemed weird to me why my graph would get messed up. I rarely run my big motor for long and I run my electric motor a lot.

Any suggestions would be appreicated.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/28/2007 10:03 AM (#242013 - in reply to #241595)

Are you running two graphs at the same time? I know with the Lowrances that if you were running multiple graphs at the same time it can mess with one or even both. But I know Lowrance added a feature to the back of the units I believe it was last year so that would help with less interference and prevent overheating of the units when placed side by side like many guys have on there console. Also, are you taking the trolling motor out of the water and then putting the trolling motor back into the water and that's when your not getting the sonar readings? Because if that's the case, it's a matter or just turning the unit off and turning the unit back on.

And for your question about getting more life out of your trolling motor batteries, I run all my accessories, and I mean everything. All my console switches, electronics, everything that requires power off my starting battery. Leaving only my two trolling motor batteries for the trolling motor. The best way to make sure you have plenty of power is making sure that your batteries are plugged in after every use and do make sure you check the charger to see if it's actually on.

Edited by Merckid 2/28/2007 10:08 AM
tinley mike
Posted 2/28/2007 10:40 AM (#242018 - in reply to #241595)

I have a question on something I noticed last nite --- the 3 bank charger led lites were all on when I plugged it in for the winter -- now I notice 1 of the 3 are out -- did I lose a bank or do the led lites burn out?

thanks
mike
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/28/2007 11:30 AM (#242029 - in reply to #241595)

Mike,

What I would tell you to do, is plug your batteries in overnight and make sure the lights are on, on the ones that do work and then I would take the battery that is connected to the charger with the no light and go and have it tested to see if it received a full charge. You can have this done at almost any good automotive store. More than likely the charger is having problems and you may have to be thinking a new one or if it's under warranty then you may want to call or send it in. I just did some reading up on this not too long ago because I was wondering the same thing a while back when a friend of mine had the same problem.

Edited by Merckid 2/28/2007 11:32 AM
tinley mike
Posted 2/28/2007 11:45 AM (#242036 - in reply to #241595)

thanks for the response --- its only a couple years old and that would be my luck --- thats merc.

mike
tinley mike
Posted 2/28/2007 11:48 AM (#242039 - in reply to #241595)

sorry it should have been -- thanks merc.
Posted 2/28/2007 12:04 PM (#242046 - in reply to #241595)

Only the graph used by my trolling motor gets screwed and yes I do run both at times. My dad likes to see what's going on even though he's not driving! Anyways, I know what you mean by taking it in and out of the water. I usually do what you say and shut it off and turn it back on to clear the problem. And I think I've tried turning the graph off by the console and it still wouldn't clear. I will have to pay closer attention to that. Eventually after a few minutes of turning it on and off and a few choice words it just starts working again and not always after shutting the power on/off. I thought maybe the transducer was going bad. Anyways, I would love to get a little more life out of my TM and I only run the graphs and the motor. I charge it as soon as I get back to the house. I'll have to move my accessories to the starting battery and see if that will makes a difference. thanks for the input Merc!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/28/2007 12:21 PM (#242051 - in reply to #241595)

Ya, your accessories can sure make a difference throughout a whole day of fishing, especially if your running livewells, recirs, a radio, electronics, or just anything else you have running off your trolling motor batteries. Another suggestion, you may wany to get your batteries "load tested" if I recall right if thats the correct wording. Your batteries may be on there last leg and there not holding a charge as good as they once were.
Posted 2/28/2007 2:34 PM (#242078 - in reply to #241595)

I've thought about doing that also, getting them tested, but I fear having to buy 2 new ones!! Actually I fear the wife! The AGM27's are 'Resolute' brand I believe. Couldn't find them online but sounds right. What would be a good replacement TM battery without breaking the bank? I see some batteries (I think Optima was one) doesn't recommend over a 10A charge rate so I would have to find one that likes the 15A charger system I have. Here's another question to throw out there. Would it be worth the buying the Dual Pro (or another brand system) that would allow my big motor to charge all 3 batteries during operation? Currently it just charges the cranking battery. Once again I appreciate the help Merc!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/28/2007 11:29 PM (#242202 - in reply to #241595)

First off, I would definitely tell you to get the batteries "load tested" first. Why buy new ones if you don't have to? Maybe you are running your batteries down that much with all the stuff running off your trolling motor batteries? But I would definitely switch all your accessories and anything else hooked to your trolling motor batteries to your cranking battery or starter battery. I run everything to my starter battery and I have NEVER, and I mean mark my words have I personally had any problems not being able to start my motor because of all the stuff i have running to it. And the only time I really ever charge my starter battery is in the fall. Just to make sure it's at full charge and more of a peace of mind for me. But otherwise, I personally have not run my starter battery down to where I couldn't start the motor.

As for batteries, the new boat that will hopefully be in my driveway soon will more than likely have Trojans or AC Delco batteries in it. So I would tell you to check out the 31's and see if they will do the job with your charger.

As for your question about buying a Dual Pro and hooking it up to your big motor, I personally think it would be a waste of time and money. Reason being, I fish small waters comparted to say a few of the lakes in MN, or more like the rivers in North and South Dakota where you can run dozens of miles and for multiple hours to get to fish. Because if your spot jumping and your driving for two minutes or ten minutes, that isn't going to charge your batteries anywhere to where you will see a difference. The guys who will hook up a system like that are guys that are on the water all day and making those long runs. For example, the Professional Walleye Championship was held in Bismark, ND, guys were making 100mile runs and spending three plus hours just running to get to a spot. That's where having that system can come into play.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)