Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "When they turned on, they turned on" Al Linder
- (Added by: tomyv)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Bringing Back an Proven Big Fish Bait

Message Subject: Bringing Back an Proven Big Fish Bait
GMan
Posted 1/10/2006 10:06 AM (#171608)
Subject: Bringing Back an Proven Big Fish Bait

Several years ago I corresponded with another basement bait maker about our hobby and craft. We swapped tips and baits, etc. I believe he was from Ohio and his name was Wolfgang, but I've forgotten his last name. Unfortunately, he died unexpectedly. and that was the last of his unique baits. I have been using a couple lures he traded me over the past few years, and they work great! I was thinking about making some of these lures myself and have spent some serious time figuring them out and how to make the unique shape. I am interested in whether anyone else has ever seen these, remembers Wolfgang, or has any thoughts or comments. Here is a picture of one of the baits.

Sorry, I'll have to shrink the size of the picture to fit tonight and post later.

Edited by GMan 1/10/2006 10:11 AM
RiverMan
Posted 1/10/2006 10:48 AM (#171612 - in reply to #171608)
Subject: RE: Bringing Back an Proven Big Fish Bait

Nope, but I would love to see them. With a name like "wolfgang" I wouldn't expect him to be from the US. Best of luck in your search.

Jed V.

GMan
Posted 1/10/2006 7:22 PM (#171701 - in reply to #171608)

Okay here's the pix...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Wolf.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Wolf.jpg (14KB - 76 downloads)
RiverMan
Posted 1/10/2006 9:39 PM (#171721 - in reply to #171608)

Well, he used through wire but you wouldn't have to. I would use basswood to build the bait. That bill is really cool, itt must have a huge wobble to it. Oh, I know how you can do that bill. Cut the shape out of a piece of lexan. Now take the lexan and hold it over your toaster oven with pliers for about 15 seconds then grab it with pliers and bend to the desired shape. It will be quite time consuming to build this bait. If you haven't built musky lures before I wouldn't start with this one...it's gonna be a challenge to get the bill correct. The person I would have build it for me is Lunge...he could do it for you.

jed v.

Edited by RiverMan 1/10/2006 9:44 PM
GMan
Posted 1/11/2006 8:42 AM (#171755 - in reply to #171608)

Jed,
I've been building baits for several years and can build this lure with the thru wire, etc. That's not that complicated although the bait is drilled, not routed for the wire. Getting the overall bait shape right is a little more difficult as it's tappers are extra work. With the thru wire, double bend lips, tappered shape, etc. it will be more work than usual, but I think it will be worth it, and I want to try to stay with the original design. I expect to have some finished later this spring. Just wondering if anyone remembers Wolfy...I think his last name might have been something like Bunkmeyer. Thought I might drop his widow a line and make sure she's okay with this, too.
RiverMan
Posted 1/11/2006 4:19 PM (#171839 - in reply to #171608)

Good for you! Best of luck on this project.

jed v.
RUMBLEFISH
Posted 1/13/2006 6:13 PM (#172111 - in reply to #171608)

How do you make that bill? Looks like a 90 degree angle like the Super Shad Raps? Can you order them made like that?
RiverMan
Posted 1/13/2006 8:47 PM (#172121 - in reply to #171608)

That type of bill is real popular with European Pike-Lure builders.

RM
GMan
Posted 1/16/2006 9:01 AM (#172334 - in reply to #171608)

If you very lightly score the flat lip on your band saw or with a hack saw where you want the bends and then apply some heat, you can bend them by hand and get those shapes. Again, its more work than putting on a straight lip, and I've never found where you could buy them in that size pre-bent (except in steel), but I think it may be worth it.
PK
Posted 1/23/2006 7:22 PM (#173499 - in reply to #171608)

Build them Gary...and let me know when they're done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)