Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> putting away all the gear.

Message Subject: putting away all the gear.
muskihntr
Posted 12/5/2005 9:43 PM (#167707)
Subject: putting away all the gear.

how many of you guys leave your gear (rods, reels, baits, etc.) in unheated storage for the winter. like a garage or storage shed, or left in the boat that is in cold storage?? good? bad? ok? not ok?, gimmie some input. or expereinces you have had. got some remodeling goin on in the house this year and was contenplating leaving it all in the boat in the garage.
thanks
muskynightmare
Posted 12/5/2005 9:57 PM (#167709 - in reply to #167707)
Subject: RE: putting away all the gear.

my boat stays unheated, but I pull the batteries. Batteries and every thing else is in the basement for the winter. Keep your batteries charged and on some wood in the basement.
muskyboy
Posted 12/5/2005 10:04 PM (#167713 - in reply to #167707)

My stuff stays in the garage all winter. I am still fishing someplace depending on where I can find open water. Probably Shelbyville later this month, but I hope IN warms up for one more try!
theedz155
Posted 12/6/2005 5:10 AM (#167732 - in reply to #167707)

I pull almost everything including rods/reels/tackle boxes etc....
That gives me the chance to clean rods and reels or sharpen hooks and check components whenever I get bored over the winter.

Scott
mikie
Posted 12/6/2005 5:44 AM (#167735 - in reply to #167707)

Remember to loosen the drag and brake on your reels. Good time to reverse the braid line on the reel for next year, too.
m
stephendawg
Posted 12/6/2005 7:18 AM (#167743 - in reply to #167707)

I empty the boat completely. It gives me a chance to account for all my gear and to service everything in the winter. Batteries stay on a 1.5 amp trickle charger all winter off the floor. When the boat comes out in late winter/spring it's ready to do any modifications if I'm inclined because it's already empty. Loading up to ready for the first trip is a breeze.
BALDY
Posted 12/6/2005 7:32 AM (#167744 - in reply to #167707)

baits and reels in the basement...rods in the garage
MACK
Posted 12/6/2005 8:12 AM (#167749 - in reply to #167707)

In the past, I've had all my rods and reels and some, but not all, of my tackle in the house. Rods and reels are in their to maintain such as what others have said. And the baits/tackle that comes in is to sharpen those hooks on snowy days as I sit and watch TV or movies.

In this particular house that I'm in....I have this one last year to bring stuff in from outside. Why? My daughter will be walking and getting into things next year. We don't have a basement, so there's no place to stick that stuff so that she can't get in to it. For her safety...I'll keep things outside in my garage next winter. My garage is fully insolated. Not heated...but it's fully insolated.

Yes...keep any/all batteries on a block of wood if you need to set them on the floor. Never set a battery directly on the cement. I don't know why exactly or what the physics are of it...but the cement will pull all of the charge out of the batteries. Again..not sure how or why...I just know it does. Always set your batteries on a block of wood that's sitting on the floor between the floor and your batteries...to help insolate the battery from the cement.

The cold of a garage will not hurt anything. It won't hurt anything anymore out there in a cold garage where the gear is dry than it would be if you were out in the cold using the gear on the lakes this time of year.

Keep tackle box lids open to let them air out and dry out from any moisture that may have been trapped inside while putting away wet lures. The dryness (low humidity in the air) of the winter months will help dry things out to prevent rust on hooks.

Loosen drags on the reels and just stick everything out of harms way to prevent anyone from knocking rods/reels over and stepping on them breaking them.
EA unplugged
Posted 12/6/2005 10:44 AM (#167767 - in reply to #167707)

LMAO, well....

My rods and my net are all hanging from the basement ceiling.

But there are lures EVERYWHERE. I honestly don't know if there's a room in the house that doesn't have something musky in plain sight. Lures on the kitchen table, lures on the bar, tackle boxes on the file cabinet, lures on the dresser, stowaways on the floor...

No, it doesn't stay that way all winter, it just takes a LOOONNNG time to clean it all up

happy hooker
Posted 12/6/2005 11:08 AM (#167769 - in reply to #167707)

Ive had the electronics pros tell me dont leave your liquid crystal graphs out in the cold
Beaver
Posted 12/6/2005 11:29 AM (#167770 - in reply to #167707)

That was on my to do list.
Now that the boat is covered with snow and it's about 5 degrees, I think that I'll wait until this weekend when it's supposed to be a balmy 35 and pull all my tackle and rods and reels out.
I've got an on board battery charger, so I just keep it plugged in a few days of every week or I'll leave it plugged in during long cold stretches. Been doing that for the last 5 years with no problems. Used to pull all 3 batteries, now I have the two deep cycles in series and leave them like that and run the second connection to the cranking motor. I'll leave as much stuff as I can in the garage, because between all the fishing and hunting stuff in the basement, I barely have room to walk around the way it is.
Beav
firstsixfeet
Posted 12/6/2005 2:33 PM (#167809 - in reply to #167707)

I am currently cleaning my room and I have waay too much stuff and keep planning to sell my excess baits and odds and ends but don't have a way to post pictures and they just don't sell as well. My wife has managed to take me from a state of high computer technology to almost none with her 4 internet changes and second computer. If anybody comes down this way, bring money and stop by. I have at least 10 gottztahaves that I have been keeping for 1-20 years for you. Come down soon. I just went a month with no place to sit in there. No telling how bad it will be when I start accumulating striper fishing stuff...
ulbian
Posted 12/6/2005 2:46 PM (#167813 - in reply to #167707)

Everything comes inside. When the christmas tree goes up, the baits are hung on it as ornaments. All those hooks on that thing make you think twice about dancing with the tree when you are drunk.
ToothyCritter
Posted 12/6/2005 4:06 PM (#167820 - in reply to #167769)

happy hooker - 12/6/2005 11:08 AM

Ive had the electronics pros tell me dont leave your liquid crystal graphs out in the cold

OOPS!!

Everything is still in the boat that's kept in an unheated garage. I have an on-board charger and it's plugged in. The plan is to buy a timer for that and set it to charge for 2hrs a day. Totally spaced the depth finder and I hope it's alright. I'll pull that off tonight and work on pulling everything else out this weekend. So far the only thing I've done is open all the compartments to let it dry out some and plug er in. Winter sure came in like a Lion! Hopefull we'll be launching again in March.
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2005 11:16 AM (#167925 - in reply to #167820)

Mines all stored on the porch, except for the lures. Those are in boxes in the boats, wn't need them anytime soon, I guess.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 12/7/2005 11:28 AM (#167928 - in reply to #167707)

This reminds me...I have to winterize the rig yet...I got crap all over the place in my boat. The last time I've seen it, the boat had 3" of snow in it.

Normally, All rods and gear are brought in, batteries taken out, trolling motors taken off....man, I got some work to do this weekend.
EsoxRookie
Posted 12/7/2005 9:23 PM (#168027 - in reply to #167707)

The battery on the concrete floor thing is a myth when it comes to modern batteries. The problems come from dirt on the case, which allows the battery to self-discharge across the terminals. And when left in the discharged state, that's what kills them. That can happen in any environment - concrete floor or not. Proper maintenance is the key.

I'll likely leave my batts in the boat after cleaning the cases. Then I'll set up a trickle charge system and they'll be ready to go come opener. All the other stuff will likely remain in the boat too.
MuskieMedic
Posted 12/7/2005 10:31 PM (#168036 - in reply to #167707)

I pull everything out of the boat so I can check everything over, it's amazing how much crap I pack in there and don't ever use. During my recovery I've already stripped down all my reels, cleaned them and lubed them up for next season. Sharpening hooks is next on my agenda.
The Yeti
Posted 12/7/2005 11:59 PM (#168041 - in reply to #167707)

my rods are all hung in the basement.
after the internal struggle of where to build my lure rack, i've settled on the basement rather than the garage. just hope they'll all fit.........arrrggggh i still dont know though.

i havnt plugged my batteries in yet to charge. they're still in the boat, in the driveway. is it safe to plug them in when its this cold out to keep a charge on there?? or is it too late.

most of my lures and the lures iv'e accumulated are already sharp and maintained, so i got a good jump on it. goin to take a break from ALL musky stuff here soon, even the net.....wet the whistle a bit....
who am i kidding, i just bought all that stuff at the kly auction, which, will probably be here as soon as i call breaktime.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)