Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Anyone fish Lake Superior Bay?

Message Subject: Anyone fish Lake Superior Bay?
JKahler
Posted 12/2/2005 3:36 AM (#167263)
Subject: Anyone fish Lake Superior Bay?

I mostly fish off shore (superior wi) and have seen a few nice muskies (one was a tiger) and pike in the bay. Have yet to hook one monster yet, although I did have a huge one eat a 13 1/2 walleye I was reeling in a few years ago while trolling. Just curious if anyone else is in the same general area as me.

Edited by JKahler 12/2/2005 5:46 PM
happy hooker
Posted 12/2/2005 5:35 AM (#167266 - in reply to #167263)
Subject: RE: Anyone fish Lake Superior Bay or the St Louis River?

Ive fished the river like 4 times its cool in that the shoreline is not that developed,,however fish per acre you might be better other places,,vermillion is just an hour away,,everytime weve fished it weve hit floating debris logs etc while running the dangerous part is this stuff dosent float ON the surface but just below because its waterlogged so you cant see it alot of times in advance to avoid it.,,weve tried the bay once but theres so much bait out there on the graph,,
snaggletooth
Posted 12/2/2005 10:26 AM (#167315 - in reply to #167263)

My cousin lives in Duluth. She sent me a newspaper article about the musky fishing in the river. If I remember right, the channels & the flats near the channels in the harbor area were spots that had produced big fish. Also, along the wooden pilings at the shorelines.
I haven't fished there yet, because I don't live nearby. But, its on my "to do" list.
My uncle, long since deceased, who lived in Duluth in the 1930's, once told me about a time back then when a neighbor brought home a big musky he caught in the harbor. He said that fish fed 2 families and it was the biggest esox he had ever seen.
I wonder what it would have been like to fish that area before the white man appeared there ?
Lundbob
Posted 12/2/2005 1:07 PM (#167339 - in reply to #167263)

I live in Duluth 2 minutes from the river. Lots of muskies caught last year during the spring walleye tournaments mostly caught on jigs i even caught a small one trolling a rapala. The biggest last year that i heard of was a 53"er. As mentioned the channel edges are the ticket. The river consists of a 20 to 25 ft channel about 100 to 300 feet wide depending on where you are and as soon as you get off the channel the water is 3 to 5 feet deep. Weeds will grow all the way up to the channel edges and the muskies will cruise this edge waiting in certain spots for a meal to drift by. Trolling these edges can be very effective. There are also several shallow bays to try...all of them can and do hold fish. Also several areas have old pilings that have been there for 80 years...very good areas also. The harbor area itself from the Bong bridge out to Lake Superior will have pods of baitfish...i've seen pike over 25lbs caught just trolling in the harbor area...i'm sure muskies are also caught there. I know people have tried trolling out from the Superior entry for muskies but i have not heard if people have had success but something like that would probably be kept very quiet. Make no mistake there are some monster fish out there and ALOT of baitfish. 11,000 acres so it's alot of water to cover and a tough nut to crack. And the smallmouth fishing is fantastic if you get bored chasing muskies.
JKahler
Posted 12/2/2005 5:45 PM (#167369 - in reply to #167263)

Yeah I've actually caught a few smallmouths on bucktails in the bay. I've only landed one musky in 13 years of fishing it so they're pretty spotty IMO. Mostly I'm just fishing for pike there and anything else is a bonus.
FYGR8
Posted 12/2/2005 9:16 PM (#167397 - in reply to #167263)
Subject: RE: Anyone fish Lake Superior Bay?

I have fished it a few times. There is potential for some real big fish! I have mainly focused on Spirit lake upstream to the hwy. 23 bridge. Tough body of water that could pay big dividends. Sometimes water clarity makes it tough after heavy rains. Lots of clay that turns the water to" chocolate milk".
MuskieMedic
Posted 12/2/2005 9:54 PM (#167403 - in reply to #167263)
Subject: RE: Anyone fish Lake Superior Bay?

I've fished it for smallies a few times and it was some of the best smallmouth fishing I have ever had. I'm sure there are some sows hanging around there, it has a massive food base.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)