Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> WORLD RECORD MUSKY ISSUE

Message Subject: WORLD RECORD MUSKY ISSUE
JESSE
Posted 9/14/2005 1:51 PM (#159504)
Subject: WORLD RECORD MUSKY ISSUE

WELL ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT THIS ISSUE IS LET IT GO. WHATS WRONG WITH LOUI SPRAYS WORLD RECORD. IT WAS CAUGHT IN THE HEART OF MUSKY COUNTRY WITH A SUCKER. OH I GET IT! THEY CAN'T MARKET A FISH THAT WAS CAUGHT BACK IN THE DAY. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW, WE NEED A MORE CURRENT WORLD RECORD TO ADVERTISE WHAT EQUIPMENT THEY USED TO CATCH THE FISH. LOUI SPRAY HAD WITNESSES AND PICTURES TO PROVE HIS WORLD RECORD AND TO TRY AND CHANGE THAT NOW IS JUST PLAIN STUPID. YOU CAN NIT PICK ALL YOU WANT AND SAY THIS AND SAY THAT BUT IT WAS CLAIMED A WORLD RECORD AND NOTHING CAN TAKE THAT AWAY. I THINK ITS MORE OF A CHALLENGE TO CATCH A BIGGER FISH. I THINK IT'S SAD TO THINK THAT A GUY WHO FISHED 19 CONSECUTIVE DAYS TO CATCH THIS FISH IS BEING DISCRIMINATED 56 YRS LATER. IN TODAY'S WORLD OF CATCH AND RELEASE WE WILL DEFINETELY SEE A WORLD RECORD IN THE NEAR FUTURE. INSTEAD OF WASTING ALL YOUR OUR TIME WONDERING WHO HOLDS A WORLD RECORD, WHY DON'T WE SPEND IT ON THE WATER?
B420
Posted 9/14/2005 2:00 PM (#159505 - in reply to #159504)
Subject: RE: WORLD RECORD MUSKY ISSUE

COOL,
JESSE, there is a sweet button called "caps lock" trying hitting once
Posted 9/14/2005 2:06 PM (#159507 - in reply to #159504)

I agree with you on this subject. It is a little too late to second guess what happened that long ago. Leave it alone and worry about catching the next record, not dispute a great record.
sworrall
Posted 9/14/2005 2:11 PM (#159508 - in reply to #159507)

I don't. I think the World Record should BE a World Record and if proven otherwise, should be out. Yes, muskie angling history is all about story and legend, but if one record is questioned and pitched out then so should the next quesionable record be, especially if 'question' is warranted. It does no good to rail against the question any more than it will to rail against whatever conclusions are reached.

Why bring this issue here, is there a specific item bothering you?
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 9/14/2005 2:21 PM (#159509 - in reply to #159504)

Jesse - There will not be another world record until Louis lochness monster is removed from the books.
esoxlazer
Posted 9/14/2005 2:27 PM (#159512 - in reply to #159504)

Is it winter already?
Jesse
Posted 9/14/2005 2:28 PM (#159513 - in reply to #159504)

I was bothered by Pete Maina on Wisconsins Waters and Woods last Sun. He had a replica of Louis Spray's pole made to show people how you couldn't possibly catch a fish of 69 lb 11 ounces with the gear back then. Talk about being alittle hardcore!
Herb_b
Posted 9/14/2005 2:42 PM (#159514 - in reply to #159504)

So, did Mania prove it or didn't he? Was it possible or not?

Seems you just opened a can of worms here.....

It'll be nice when the next world record gets caught because then this discussion will be over once and for all.
mikie
Posted 9/14/2005 2:47 PM (#159517 - in reply to #159504)

Hey, Herb! Great to see you over here!

Records kill fish. m
Posted 9/14/2005 2:50 PM (#159518 - in reply to #159513)

Jesse - 9/14/2005 2:28 PM

I was bothered by Pete Maina on Wisconsins Waters and Woods last Sun. He had a replica of Louis Spray's pole made to show people how you couldn't possibly catch a fish of 69 lb 11 ounces with the gear back then. Talk about being alittle hardcore!

just like Ken O'Brian couldnt possibly have landed his 65# monster on a shad rap and 10# mono, just like the recent GB giant couldnt possibly been caught with walleye gear, just like 200# Tarpon coudnt possibly be landed on fly tackle. Maina needs to quit whining and catch a record of his own. I do indeed think that 69# will be eclipsed in the near future.
MUSKYJ
Posted 9/14/2005 2:53 PM (#159519 - in reply to #159504)

[img]http://selan.jbcomptech.com:81/files/images/caps-lock.jpg[/img]
Slamr
Posted 9/14/2005 3:03 PM (#159521 - in reply to #159504)

Just allowing everyone to remember how silly fighting on a message board can be.
ShaneW
Posted 9/14/2005 3:04 PM (#159522 - in reply to #159504)

The lesson learned from all of the criticism thrown around the world record fish is that if you catch a big, big fish you better thump it or there will be those like (non name used) that will attempt to discredit you. All of the attention just means that world record will end up on the wall and not released.

Shane
esoxaddict
Posted 9/14/2005 3:21 PM (#159523 - in reply to #159504)

As much as I hate to say it, I want someone to catch the record fish so bad I don't CARE if they whack it.

I couldn't do it myself, but somebody catch it already, and go ahead and whack the #*^@ thing if I never have to hear about the Spray fish again...

Shane, why don't YOU catch her already? You guys live in the same town after all, LOL!
Posted 9/16/2005 9:24 PM (#159876 - in reply to #159504)

All the so called records are no more than men bantering about who the better fisherman is. I mean, Spray predictide he would catch this fish, along with a few other heavies? We all no what a load of crap that is! O'Briens fish likely is the record, or Williamson's, or many others from GB, St.Lawrence or the Ottawa. The real record muskie(s) has most likely been caught (hopefully) released and swim's for one of us to catch.

Now, somebody go out at WHACK the #*^@ thing so we can quir hearing about.
Monster Hunter
Posted 10/14/2005 1:26 PM (#162509 - in reply to #159504)

We have all seen the next world record and nearly peed ourselves. That is exactly why we spend countless hours hunting these giants-- only to relase them so they can grow to become legendary.

The record will be broken...

But not before he straightens another hook and breaks another line. I have personally sighted the world record on 2 different lakes.

The legend lives on...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(getimage[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments getimage[1].jpg (5KB - 132 downloads)
Posted 10/17/2005 4:21 PM (#162723 - in reply to #159504)

Unless you have enough credible evidence to over turn it- Its the record and LIVE WITH IT!!!

A muskie rig shown on TV with a bias/jealous opinion means NOTHING!!!!
sworrall
Posted 10/17/2005 5:33 PM (#162740 - in reply to #162723)

My advice, Guest, is to stand by....you should hear more on this issue by the end of October.
Beaver
Posted 10/17/2005 9:31 PM (#162766 - in reply to #159504)

I have an idea.
Wipe the board clean and start all over as of January 1st 2006.
Pictures, measurements and weights in front of witnesses if possible.
Certified scales at every lake.
I'd let her go anyway, because it wouldn't be worth the trouble.
It's a shame, but we are all being watched by big brother.
I'd catch her, take some pictures, show my closest friends and then publicize the photos at my wake......just to liven things up.
Screw it! Start over.
Beav
Snowcrest 6
Posted 10/17/2005 11:29 PM (#162772 - in reply to #159504)

getting a head-start on the winter doldrums, are we!?!?

I've never posted on this subject, honestly I don't really care who holds the world record.

But, I agree with you, Beav - it almost wouldn't be worth it to keep her. Too much scrutiny for a guy who doesn't like to live his life under a microscope.

I have to say I'd let her go, get a graphite repro for posterity....then retire all the rods, lures, nets, etc., and just be happy, no...overjoyed...with the memory.

B
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)