Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fall Cold Fronts

Message Subject: Fall Cold Fronts
Phoenix
Posted 10/19/2005 6:24 AM (#162872)
Subject: Fall Cold Fronts

Do you view a low pressure system that pushes a cold front through in the fall the same way you do as during the summer?

For example: In the summer, a cold front is generally associated with tougher fishing. In the fall/late fall do you see it rather as a positive, or negative to fishing?

How does your approcah to fishing change (or does it) when a fall cold front moves through?

Steve
sworrall
Posted 10/19/2005 7:44 AM (#162879 - in reply to #162872)
Subject: RE: Fall Cold Fronts

Up here in Northern Wisconsin we have a variety of water to fish from dark water seepage lakes to flowages to rivers to clear. Any time of the year, it can be helpful to fish current or dark water after the front passes through, but before and during the front's movement through, some of the best fall fishing can occur.

As a front approaches us we usually see a south wind. It can be southwest or southeast depending on the position of the front. Winds will generally shift to west/northwest after the front is through either off the counterclockwise rotation form the back side of the low, or the clockwise rotation from an approcahing high pressure stsyem. I find the best fishing in the fall to be 12 to 18 hours each side of that happening as the front approaches and departs.

If there isn't a strong high pressure system following the low, it seems during the fall that the fishing is good, but not 'hot', anytime after the front. If there is a strong high coming in, the fishing can (stress can) be tough for a day or so. Things pick back up two days after the high sets in and the winds switch back to southerly on the back side of the high.

Last weekend Slamr and I were on a clear water lake on the 12 hour side of a big front. We moved 9 fish and missed three. The next morning was classic center high presure, and the fishing was slow, but there was a 50" fish lost on a sucker by one team, Mike Roberts got one on a sucker and we saw three.

As Steve Van Lieshout says, best time to go is when you can.
newmuskie
Posted 10/19/2005 11:57 PM (#162990 - in reply to #162879)

I read some stuff elsewhere that said the fish concentrate on the breaks in the fall especially on a cold front. I know alot of guys fish suspendos all the way to ice, and quite a few who believe in the shallow water too. If the water temps are close to the same all the way from top to bottom the fish will be where there is food, right? If that's so, then I know a few lakes where the reeds should be hot in the late fall, and read where cold fronts on Cass and Leech and Mille Lacs can be good shallow in the weeds and reeds and on the sand. So I wonder if it isn't more timing second and location first on a cold front in the fall? It wouldn't be the same on all lakes? And if you fish only the breaks, then that's where you will catch what fish you do, because that's where youre fishing, right?

Edited by newmuskie 10/20/2005 12:00 AM
sworrall
Posted 10/20/2005 6:23 PM (#163046 - in reply to #162990)

A dandy cold front is coming through this weekend, with temps here in Northern WI in the 40's with some possible snow showers on Saturday. Sunday and Sunday could be some of the best big fish days of this year!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)