Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Autumn Approaches, Foul Weather Gear?

Message Subject: Autumn Approaches, Foul Weather Gear?
sworrall
Posted 9/8/2005 10:26 PM (#158981)
Subject: Autumn Approaches, Foul Weather Gear?

I saw a long line of Sand Hill Cranes headed south tonight signalling the coming cooler weather. The yard is full of Grackels headed south, and the bucks are velvet free. My favorite time of the year is here! I looked over my soft plastics and tuned up my creature outfits and glider reels, so I'm near ready to offer whatever presentation the muskies want in near any condition up to the big deep freeze.

Foul weather gear came to mind. I have my gortex summer outfit, but still haven't purchased a good set of warm duds for the wet and cold of Fall and Winter. What outfit do you recommend? Is there anything out there that is really new and standout effective? Anyone tried the Gerbings heated clothing yet? That product is pretty interesting.

What's the best?
MuskieMike
Posted 9/8/2005 11:48 PM (#158987 - in reply to #158981)
Subject: RE: Autumn Approaches, Foul Weather Gear?

Gonna be close to 90 way down here in Chicagoland next couple of days. Hard to start thinkin' about the parka! But it is time to start goin through all the cold weather gear, and getting it in order. I think all I really need is wool socks, and a set of thermals. And some good gloves. Stayed relatively toasty, and very dry last year with the Cabela's duck hunting Parka, and bibs. Lots of layers underneath too. B#$& Pro Shop waterproof , insulated, hunting boots to keep the feet dry and warm. Learned how to cast with the neoprene decoy gloves on real fast!

Edited by MuskieMike 9/9/2005 3:16 AM
muskyboy
Posted 9/8/2005 11:56 PM (#158989 - in reply to #158981)

I use Mossy Oak hunting gear which you can see in my avatar picture. It works great if you waterproof it and when it gets below freezing, just add layers underneath for more warmth. The chemical hand warmers help on the really nasty days.

Survival suits are also great for cutting the wind and cold if you want to ultimate in safety (I am sure Sue wants to make sure you are safe)
theedz155
Posted 9/9/2005 4:50 AM (#158990 - in reply to #158981)

I've got the uninsulated my Cabela's Guidewear. On year 3 or 4 now and no problems. I use it all summer and layer up underneath when it starts to get cold. Last year before C#$&, I bought fleece clothing with the Windshear lining. That works great underneath. If you want to keep the wind from going down your back a hooded sweat/fleece of some type is irreplacable. I use several different types of boots and have gloves that are neoprene with a lining to keep your hands drier. I think they're Glacier Gloves but not sure. A good hat keeps a lot of heet in as well.

I do use chemical packs when the need arises but not very often. In fact I only the the Glacier Gloves occasionally.

Last, if what I have doesn't fit the bill, I'll pull out my insulated Carhartt's. Jacket and Bibs.

Layering is the most important thing to remember. With the new undergarments (I love my UnderArmor) it's real easy to stay warm.

Mark H.
Posted 9/9/2005 6:30 AM (#158992 - in reply to #158981)

Steve....

That would be FOWL weather around the corner... Quack, quack, cackle, tick, quack... Fold'em...

Ah yes, the pleasures of sharing the dawning of a new day with my favorite blonde...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Mande1001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mande1001.jpg (77KB - 90 downloads)
Red Man
Posted 9/9/2005 7:14 AM (#158993 - in reply to #158981)

I don't own any, but Chad Cain swears by Gamehide. I think you can buy directly from Gamehide or castandblastoutffiters.com carries Gamehide.
Beaver
Posted 9/9/2005 8:04 AM (#159000 - in reply to #158981)

Goretex is a must for the outer layer for me. After that, give me lots of Thinsulate.
I stumbled onto a sale on Columia rain gear a few years ago, and it's still like new.
I have an uninsulated set that I use to bow hunt and to fish before cold sets in, but for cold weather, it's insulated bibs and an insulated parka. I love the overlap right in the low back portion for added protection from the wind and cold.
And I won't leave home without my Therma Care heat wraps.
Beav

Edited by Beaver 9/9/2005 8:07 AM
Crash_McGolden
Posted 9/9/2005 9:03 AM (#159007 - in reply to #158981)

Hey Beav,

Where do you put those heat wraps to be most effective? I tried them last year, and they didn't really do much except make my skin red in that area.

Crash McG
John23
Posted 9/9/2005 9:20 AM (#159013 - in reply to #158981)

I do a lot of open-water river fishing in the winter in Minnesota. Fishing open water at night in February is something else. I have worn guidewear, snowmobile suits, hunting gear, etc. and NOTHING compares to a Mustang Survival Suit. You'll always have a life jacket on, which is especially important when the water is cold ... but the thing is so warm, wind resistant, waterproof, and extremely comfortable/easy to move in that I'd wear it anyway. Model MS2175.

Layers in order: Silk long underwear top and bottom, thermal turtleneck, fleece polar-weight long underwear top, thinsulate jeans, and a mid-weight sweat shirt underneath the suit allows me to fish comfortably down to about 20 degrees, so long as I can keep my reel/line from freezing up. And I bet I could stay comfortable in colder temps if I could keep my equipment from freezing! Check ebay and you should be able to get one for <$300. I wouldn't recommend anything else for fishing in <40 degree air temps.

John
GOTONE
Posted 9/9/2005 9:44 AM (#159015 - in reply to #158981)

Another item that I found helpful to keeping your hands dry and can also be used under a thin pair of gloves or by themselves are the rubber gloves that dentists, EMT's, and nurses use. I have a pack that I bring with me in my boat and go through 2 pairs a day, but they are well worth it. They have a little insulation, and keep you dry from everything from the water off of the reel to holding a fish for release.

GotOne
Slamr
Posted 9/9/2005 9:51 AM (#159016 - in reply to #158981)

In the cold, I go with a double layered columbia jacket, and columbia snow pants (see pic one). It keeps me warm ENOUGH when the temps are from 55 degrees to maybe 48. Anything below that, I go to the Mustang Survival suit (as John stated above, see pic 2). Not only does it keep me warm, (fished in total comfort Dec. 19th when it was 20 degrees and watched the Bears get killed with it was 8 degrees out) but I like the floatation built in. When the water is 36 degrees, and the air temp is close to that or lower, I want to FLOAT if I hit the water. I've gone in 2 times in the last two years, and thankfully its been relatively warm each time, but if I do my signature dive into the water in the cold months, I hope that I've got the suit on.
The negative to the Mustang though is that its about as easy to walk around in as it would appear. Easy to stand and cast, but my Ninja-Like agility is reduced to ZERO. And, it makes you look like an Ooompha-Loompha.

Other cold weather essentials:
-gloves: I carry 2-3 pairs of neoprene gloves, and at least one pair of heavy ski gloves. Cold/wet hands really can ruin your day.
-socks: heavy wool socks, with waterproof seal-skinz socks over them. The seal-skinz are expensive, but TOTALLY worth it if you mistep while launching the boat and get a foot full of water. Only thing worse than cold hands for me, is cold feet.
-head gear: though I usally forget to put it on, a balaklava or other total head cover will definitely make your day better when its freezing out. You might look like a mugger, but at 30-60mph with the boat running, you'll appreciate it.

MY QUESTION: BOOTS!!!??? Mine really stink, any suggestion for good warm/waterproof boots for under $80?

(435.jpg)

(untitled54i.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 435.jpg (59KB - 80 downloads)
Attachments untitled54i.JPG (29KB - 83 downloads)
Big Perc
Posted 9/9/2005 10:03 AM (#159018 - in reply to #158981)

Slamr,
Try cabela's...I picked up a pair of 16 gortex boats about 4 years ago and they haven't failed me since...ran me about $90-100 though...it's worth the extra $10-20

Big Perc

Here is a link...they have lots to choose from and relatively priced too...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp...

Edited by Big Perc 9/9/2005 10:06 AM
timbuck
Posted 9/9/2005 10:24 AM (#159021 - in reply to #158981)

When the temp starts to dip below 40, I use neoprene waders. They're warm, lightweight, and snug fitting. You can layer clothes under and/or over, also very buoyant if you get the urge to take an autumn dip
sorenson
Posted 9/9/2005 10:30 AM (#159023 - in reply to #158981)

For me it's a fairly simple solution:
Layers, layers, layers.
First - polyproplyene (spelling?) undergarments; any moisture is taken quickly away from the skin.
Second - fleece, not snug, but loose, keeps air spaces trapped between layers and allows mobility.
Third - water/wind proofing - your choice, there's a lot of good products out there; it's a preferance thing. Gore-tex, Filson, all manner of rain gear all work w/ varying degrees of effectiveness and comfort.
Layers also allow for changing the garment amount to match the current conditions.
Slamr also mentions flotation/hypothermia protection - the Mustang suits will keep you alive in cold water for at least a couple of hours as opposed to a few minutes if you can't gain re-entry into the boat. good idea, but as he notes, you lose your mountain goat-like dexterity

Gloves/boots/headgear.
I guess I have been blessed w/ good circulation to my extremeties (and some say not so good to my brain)
I like ragg wool fingerless gloves (I swap between a few pairs) and an occasional hand in a pocket w/ a thermal heat pack. Sometimes on the hand holding the rod I'll go to something waterproof.
Boots - I usually just wear hiking boots that are 1/2 size too big and wool socks; boots should not be tight. Avoid cotton socks. If I feel more protection for my feet is needed, I go w/ polypro socks under the wool and some felt pacs.
A good cap of some sort is a must, cover the top of head, ears and back of neck adequately. If real cold, face coverage is nice. It doesn't get real cold here.
Sorno
GOTONE
Posted 9/9/2005 11:53 AM (#159032 - in reply to #158981)

For boots try LaCrosse Ice Kings. These are the most comfortable and warm boots I've ever worn. I think they cost around $100, but well worth it. I've also found that buying wearing my pack boots out on the boat that my back lasts a lot longer compared to summer fishing with flip flops, etc.

GotOne
John23
Posted 9/9/2005 11:53 AM (#159033 - in reply to #158981)

A few thoughts:

1) I think waders are a terrible idea. If you fall in the lake, they won't act like a life-jacket -- they'll either fill with water or keep your legs pointed skyward and either way you're in big trouble. It takes about 2 minutes to go hypothermic in cold water and you will drown.
2) I like Sorel pac boots with wool socks (polypro liner sock under the wool) best. My 1000 gram thinsulate/gore-tex hunting boots don't usually cut it.
3) A polarfleece neckwarmer keeps all that blood in your neck warm and prevents warm air from escaping out the top of whatever you're wearing.
4) A warm, wind-proof stocking cap can really help keep you warm.

John
Beaver
Posted 9/9/2005 12:50 PM (#159037 - in reply to #158981)

Crash, I get the ones that you wear like a big belt with the heating discs running along my lower back from hip to hip. If you're getting red marks, put them on over your thin base layer shirt.
Beav
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/9/2005 1:13 PM (#159044 - in reply to #158981)

I actually use my Gander Guide Gore tex 'mid weather' gear that I use during my summer trips. I bought it a bit big and can layer underneath very effectively. The bibs are big enough that I can get my long jons, and fleece pants underneath. I layer the top with Lands End underwear tops, longsleeve wind shirt, fleece vest, and thick fleece pullover(for the really cold days). This is the same setup I use for bowhunting the November rut and it works great. I prefer a system that allows me to alter my layers throughout the day if needed, or simply unzip certain or several layers for the walk in. Someone here suggested I get the guide series a couple years ago, and I have been happy with it, so thanks. Now I just need to find something to patch the sleeve where the large musky thrashed and stuck a large treble in and back out of. Is there anything for repairing gore tex? Would some of the tent tapes work?
Mark H.
Posted 9/9/2005 2:58 PM (#159060 - in reply to #158981)

One thing I have done over the past few years is to always wear my life jacket. I am more than comfortable in the water, former Scuba Instructor, and recovery diver for the Fire dept. But as water temps drop and our clothing increases the recipe for a bad situation becomes a little closer to reality. Take extra care when bending over the gunwhale of your boat when working on or releasing fish.

A few years back I purchased the Sterns life jacket that is an actual jacket with floatation built in. It is very comfortable, warm and somewhat water repellent. I heard from my buddy Todd Forcier that the Sospendo brand of inflatable PFD's are super comfortable, another nice choice for fall fishing or any fishing... I use Gander Mt. Gortex bibs and have a Columbia Omni-teck waterproof jacket that is light and works in warm weather and fits over my cold weather gear. This spring I purchased and insullated Guide-Wear jacket from Cabela's but have yet to use it.
I like a fleece sweatshirt or vest for under-layers.

(Stearns Life jacket.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Stearns Life jacket.JPG (6KB - 82 downloads)
millsie
Posted 9/9/2005 3:13 PM (#159062 - in reply to #158981)

Get you fall Cabela's catalog out. Guidewear now comes with thinsulate insulation, both bibs and parka. They have boots with 1000 gm. thinsulate for $89.95. For hats the fleece lined gore-tex hats that wrap under your chinnie chin chin can't be beat. Water-proof, wind-proof, and won't fly off your head running down the lake.

Wanna guess what I was reading on the can this morning.

Jeff
jacorn
Posted 9/9/2005 11:47 PM (#159086 - in reply to #158981)

wool, wool, and more wool! Wool will keep you warm if, God forbid, you do go over the side of the boat, and it's just plain warm. you can find some good wool very cheap if you go to Fleet Farm and pick up a set of old military pants, and a sweater that I use as a second layer. Reef Hawg has it right with the layering comments. another good place to look for wool is www.sierratradingpost.com. Or buy the best wool ever and get some Filson, the stuff is wove so tight that it is absolutely wind proof and pretty much water proof. Fleece is a great underlayer but usually dosen't act as a wind break. Also heed the advice about a neck wrap of some kind and "bottle" in the heat. As far as a hat get a Stormy Kromer and never have to buy another hat, made out of wool, has a brim, and ear flaps. I sound like a big ad for these companies, but after freezing my tail off for the last 25 yrs. while bowhunting, these are the people I trust to extend my days afield or on the water. Give wool a try and you will not be disapointed.
As far as boots Ice Mans are a good bet
Steve Jonesi
Posted 9/10/2005 12:05 AM (#159087 - in reply to #158981)

Filson......The Best There Is.....
esoxaddict
Posted 9/12/2005 6:40 PM (#159281 - in reply to #158981)

I've been told that any fishing/hunting etc. gear is pretty much crap compared to cold water extreme sailing gear, the kind of stuff made for taking waves over the boat in the North Atlantic in January...

Don't have anything to go on other than that but it makes sense to me.

SACMAN
Posted 9/12/2005 9:10 PM (#159298 - in reply to #158981)

I fish in IL from the second the ice goes out until it comes in and I use Cabelas uninsulated Guidewear. I adjust my clothes to the situation. From shorts and a tank in the summer (rain) to my columbia Quad 4 liner and lots of long underwear when it is 30 degrees. Keeping the wind off so the heat you have stays in works for me. Hands and feet are my problem............
Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)