Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> missing big fish

Message Subject: missing big fish
Ty Sennett
Posted 9/9/2005 7:20 AM (#158995)
Subject: missing big fish

We lost five fish two days ago over 42 or three inches and a few other nice follows so I was not a happy camper that night. A couple were upper forty inch fish so I didn't sleep well. Last night didn't start out any better with me blowing something that sounded really big on a stillwater. Next spot I totally redeamed myself with a 42 and next cast a 43 on Pacemakers. Next spot client has a big fish blow up on a Pacemaker again and pulls the bait away. I taught him well I guess. A few casts later he caught a 40 incher on a Pacemaker and lost another. I hate Chip fish. Head shake way too much! We have been missing quite a few fish lately. I can't figure out what the deal is.

Ok so anyway, what is your worst day as far as how many fish you missed? How many and how big?

Ty

sworrall
Posted 9/9/2005 7:48 AM (#158998 - in reply to #158995)
Subject: RE: missing big fish

Recently, Theedz and I were on Moen and missed/lost 6 that were all from about 36 to mid 40" class. We did get one. It did the head shake too, but ended up Frabillized. The next trip there, Tom V and I missed a couple, one which we both had figured to be in the net. Slamr redeemed us with a 48 that day. The night before, I missed a couple on a small lake we fished for the first time. WHY didn't I hook more of those fish? Hooks are razor sharp. 7.5' rod, pops 'em like a firecracker, and the majority of the fish I had hit earlier this year I caught.

The worst? 5 really spectacular fish in one day were pinned up, then not. All on the Goon, and all 48" or better. A couple were quite a bit better. One was WAY better. I had nightmares about that day for a year. I did boat a 49, but what a day that COULD have been. One starts to blame hookset, lure choice, technique; EVERYTHING, but when it comes right down to it, it's just muskies. Stupid fish.
One thing for sure, there isn't any CPR with out the C...
Beaver
Posted 9/9/2005 7:59 AM (#158999 - in reply to #158995)

I'm beginning to believe that you can't move a lure in a big fish's mouth.
I had two fish eat Castors last week, and the lure came back with easily identifiable tooth marks in the top coat. Small pike always get hooked because they get the lure in their mouth and when you set the hook, you them and the lure and get some or all of the hooks buried inside and outside of their mouth.
I think sometimes the fish set the hooks themselves by hitting the lure and turning with it. Seems when they just chomp down on it, you have to get lucky to get a hook in them somewhere.
I'm sure we all have caught fish that seemed to hook themselves, while others can withstand a gargantuan amount of force and never feel steel.
Beav
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/9/2005 8:07 AM (#159001 - in reply to #158995)

Hooked 5 fish over 40 inches with my buddy Matt Collins.

All 5 fish, we had just a few feet from the boat and..........they ALL 5 CAME UN-PINNED!!!!!!!

It was the best worst day I have ever had.
jonnysled
Posted 9/9/2005 8:18 AM (#159002 - in reply to #158995)

had a bad day on Eagle monday i think ... man, the time flies up there. well, i missed a 50+ .... story of my week was going back to spots and catching the "wrong" fish after seeing a piggy. highlight though was being the netman on a 50" fish for my partner John Bette (muskihntr) on tuesday night.
J.Sloan
Posted 9/9/2005 8:41 AM (#159005 - in reply to #158995)

Missed four fish on planer boards in an hour during the Musky Nut outing on the Sugar Camp earlier this summer. Sled watched us miss one of the fish too. Hooks too sharp maybe? Bad Karma from not calling a certain lady back? Who knows. Bow season is just around the corner.

J.Sloan
BFO
agrimm
Posted 9/9/2005 9:06 AM (#159008 - in reply to #158995)

Same story as others - last weekend I hooked 4 fish and lost all before I could get into the net. The largest fish tore into my Suick like a bandsaw, but no hooks. Another hammered the tail on my BullDawg, but no hooks. The third seemed a bit smaller and smashed a Crane - thought for sure the Crane would hold it. I could feel the head shakes and then bang - no fish. The last blow a Shallow Invader out of the water as it bounced of some shallow rip-rap. Sad to see, but I guess I'm not alone.
theedz155
Posted 9/9/2005 9:13 AM (#159010 - in reply to #158995)

Ty-

Was that with Mark and Kathy???
If it was, they'll have stories to tell.

Scott
Grass
Posted 9/9/2005 10:24 AM (#159022 - in reply to #158995)

I normally don't have a beer until after the fishing is done and the boat is on the trailer, but earlier this summer I had a day when the fish were very active and I couldn't get one in the boat.
I lost a real nice tiger on jump about 10 ft from the boat, I could see the tiger stripes when the fish jumped. Then I had about 5-6 charged up follows with no strike. Then I had one hit about 10 ft from the boat and again no hooks.
After the last hit, I was really getting agitated with all the action and no fish to show for it. I sat down in the boat, cracked open a beer and just sat there for about 10 minutes thinking "If I don't boat a fish today I'm going to lose my mind" After half a beer I started fishing again and I popped a nice 38" about 10 mins later.
I think the beer relaxed me a little bit and now I've got a picture that would make a perfect beer commercial. Me with a nice musky, beautiful shoreline and water, and a can of Miller lite sitting on the console of my boat.

Grass,
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/9/2005 11:45 AM (#159031 - in reply to #158995)

Hooked and lost 6 fish two weeks ago with the smallest about 41" and the largest being my PB by a long shot. Eavery one I lost(and I missed a few that day that I am not counting here) was hooked and had jumped, made a run, or head shook at least three or four times to let me know they were on. I did not have a very good nights sleep that night, and I am sure my wife was sick of my complaining. The next morning I proceed to lose a 48-49" fish that ate a bulldawg on the end of a cast, and fought like a 29" pike to the boat(I did not keep a tight line) and then decided to go........and let go. The last two nights I have been missing some nicer fish to 46 or so fish on topwater, only hooking up with the smaller ones. This time of year I get alot of those wierd blowups that sound like appliances hitting the water, and then no good hooks. Then we'll go to a spot(as we did Sat) and stick a couple nice fish.....who knows. Talked to my buddy Chuck Schauer and he echoed the same, that he misses alot of nice ones right now too for some reason and it usually lasts for about a week. He and I are having our misses/hits/losses/catches in shallower water right now, and we wonder if they are fish that might not have been relating to this structure for awhile and are either wary, near sighted, or just not totally ready. Nice to get action from the nice fish, but the misses/losses suck!
Trophymuskie
Posted 9/9/2005 3:09 PM (#159061 - in reply to #158995)

I had clients and a friend blow 3 fish easilly over 52 the same week. First client lost one casting a bulldawg just after I raised the 54 incher. Few days later fishing a Muskies Canada outing, my partner had one on trolling a spinnerbait and the fish came off half way to the boat, he was shaking for an hour afterwards he knew this was a special fish. The next client had one on trolling a spinnerbait and he got her all the way to the boat, and she pulled lose before I could net her. ( she was much bigger then the 51.5 he caught the next day).

Man after the second monster was lost I felt like chit but when the third one made it to the boat and then got off I thought I would never boat another big fish. I was obsesed by it, thank god I got rid of the jinx the day after the third lost fish, the second day after we got a 49 and have not lost another big one since.
Keith Eldrup
Posted 9/9/2005 5:53 PM (#159071 - in reply to #158995)

Ty
are you venting or looking for worse stories to make your self feel better.
0 for 13 on quick strike suckers then my nephew (danny little bear) set the hook on one "Bail open" and he caught it i Suck
Trolling shelbyville we caught over 20 fish without loosing any then one day went 0 for 8 same everything SUCK!!
hooks sets are over rated.
Keith
Big Perc
Posted 9/9/2005 6:09 PM (#159072 - in reply to #158995)

I had the biggest fish of my life up to the back of the boat this summer just out of net range just laying there...it death roled and set my lure flying back past mine and my buddies head...I am broke my rod...easy 47-48...would have made my summer easily...funny thing was only 2 hours earlier I was being all cocky to my buddy telling him how I had never lost a fish...and what happens...I loose the biggest one of my life...boy did I feel stupid...

Big Perc
Karen DiPietro
Posted 9/11/2005 3:22 AM (#159116 - in reply to #158995)

You make it over to the spot I told ya about???
Have you seen her??
Dying to know...

Karen
Muskydr
Posted 9/11/2005 10:53 AM (#159128 - in reply to #158995)

Ya catch some, you lose some that is the name of the game!! Had many days with multiple fish lost, lost some giants too, thats why I fish for these critters!!! Just keep on casting!!
Casey Johnson
Posted 9/11/2005 10:49 PM (#159178 - in reply to #158995)

Lost two big fish one night, one was upper forties and the other was big. Fishing over in the Detroit Lakes area during the summer and I lost two big fish on magnum dawgs. Shoulda, coulda, woulda; can't catch them all. It always seems like the big girls find some way to shake the hooks, to much power.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)