Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> knots or crimps?

Message Subject: knots or crimps?
mskyhntr
Posted 6/3/2005 6:06 AM (#149527)
Subject: knots or crimps?

For you guys using flouro. are you using knots to connect your swivels or are you using crimps? If you are using knots what kind are you tying and if you are using crimps how are you crimping them? Is there a special crimp tool? and where do you get the crimps? Also for you guys that are using crimps have you ever had one come undone or pull out? thanks

Edited by mskyhntr 6/3/2005 6:08 AM
C_Nelson
Posted 6/3/2005 7:31 AM (#149537 - in reply to #149527)
Subject: RE: knots or crimps?

Knots and knots only. I DO NOT trust ANY leader with a crimp. As far as I am concerned, any leader made with a crimp is garbage. You never know if the wire, or in this case the flouro, is pinched or cut. When tying the flouro, or mono for that matter, I use what I believe is called and improved clinch. It is my standard knot when tying lighter mono or flouro. The only difference with tying the heavy stuff is that I use KY Jelly on it before I cinche it down. This keeps it from burning itself and weakening the line. As it is a water based lubricant, there is nothing in it that will react with the mono or flouro and break it down. It is also really easy to clean up.

Yes, I have seen wire, flouro, mono and titanium leaders with crimps all blow apart at one point or another. All of these leaders that blew apart were all commercially made, so they should have been good stuff. Like I said, I trust NO leader with a crimp.

Just my honest opinion. Disagree if you want.

Chuck
setme31
Posted 6/3/2005 8:27 AM (#149547 - in reply to #149527)

I'm the same way. I don't trust crimps.

I use the same knot as above. Although I don't use KY Jelly. At least not for my knots. I have had problems getting the knot tight, maybe I should give it a try.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/3/2005 9:50 AM (#149558 - in reply to #149547)

No crimps for me! I've been using/tying + 80lb flouro for ~ 2 1/2 years- (Thanks to Ranger - Rick Fox) He introduced me to flourocarbon on a "Yooper" Lake X muskie expedition.

I personnally prefer 80lb flourocarbon. I tie all ZaltNAD "No-See-Um" Flourocarbon Leaders with a grip knot using a "Tie-fast" Saltwater Knot Tyer. Then I finish them with a drop of superglue.

You also need some type of tying jig to help tie & tighten your knots on your leaders. I've tied up to 140lb flouro without any lubricant. If there's enough friction to damage/deform the flourocarbon you are not tightening/forming the knot correctly.

Have fun.

Al
ChadG
Posted 6/3/2005 10:17 AM (#149561 - in reply to #149527)

Doing a trial period with flouro right now. Using 180 lb Seagur and crimping it. Being the doubting type, I took a 6/0 Siwash hook and put it over a nail on the rafters and proceded to straighten the hook out. Good crimps will hold. Using the double barrel crimps and crimping with a $5 pair of electric crimpers. Sidenote: the #4 Stayloc stayed hooked too.

Edited by ChadG 6/3/2005 10:18 AM
happy hooker
Posted 6/3/2005 11:16 AM (#149564 - in reply to #149527)

instead of those expensive spools of fluro...you guys might want to try hard mono,,,Rollie & Hellens sells 30ft lengths of climax hard mono in 80 and 100lb test for $2.69,,thats enough for many leaders,,You still get the flexibility like fluro. One of the best fishermen in the midwest Lance Christiansen of berkley uses it for everything jerkbaits,bucktails,topwaters he uses the "perfection loop" for attaching snaps,swivels ,,,I tried some of this stuff last year and crimped it I used one leader all year on my bucktail,prop topwater rod and it never nicked or failed including a 51 1/2 incher,,its already tied on for season two
esoxangler44
Posted 6/3/2005 12:43 PM (#149583 - in reply to #149527)

I tie a Nail Knot, and finish it off with a drop of krazy glue, I'm using 80# test floro.
esoxlady
Posted 6/3/2005 4:36 PM (#149617 - in reply to #149527)

Hey Chuck-

KY Jelly on your floro?

I can hear the boys now after they spy THAT in my tackle box!!!

LMAO

lobi
Posted 6/3/2005 7:16 PM (#149629 - in reply to #149527)

I knot it. A drop of super glue will ease your mind if you are afraid of your knots.

50 lb mono is all I'm using for trolling leaders now. Easier to tie, cheaper, more strech than floro, plenty strong. Have not had a bite off yet. Keep a spool on board and re-tie if there is a nick after landing a fish. Feel the leader for nicks after eash hooked fish.

It also is way more flexible than floro so your lure gets more action.
C_Nelson
Posted 6/3/2005 9:10 PM (#149633 - in reply to #149527)

Well Esoxlady, just tell them that if the fishing gets tough you can still enjoy something.

It is otherwise known as "Kentucky Jelly". Heard dat sum a dem dare 'Tucky boyz really dig da stuff!!! Just fooling guys!!!!

I told my father-in-law about it and not knowning any better he asked my mother-in-law to go get some. Well, he then heard about what the real use was for it. I had to tell my wife what I did and she quick called her parents; we all had a good laugh.

Chuck
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/3/2005 11:31 PM (#149636 - in reply to #149527)

Well- I can see this thread heading to the "Slamr Dumpster"!

The most impressive top three attributes of fluorocarbon in my experience are it's low stretch, low refraction index and hardness.

Fluorocarbon has almost the same/identical refractive index( basically it's impedance to light) as water. What this means is that when it is in water, it is virtually undetectable to fish. OK. Thanks Ranger!

ESOX Maniac factoid- You can catch a "ton" of trophy walleyes 22" -> +30" with muskie gear & lures. Big walleye go for bigger lures. A few buddies and I fish in NW Ontario every year. The lake we stay on has trophy walleye and "what I consider trophy pike" (+40"). " (No muskies) We usually have a blast no matter what- However, last trip, I abondoned the normal jig & minnow/leech/night crawler on a spinning rod w 6lb line for a #33 Zam floater attached to a 80lb fluorocarbon leader, attached to 65 PowerPro, attached to a G. Loomis 6'6" MH jerk bait rod via a Shimano Curado Bantam B200.

Try trolling walleyes with a 150HP Johnson on a 1988 17' 6" Skeeter SF150 & a Raker SS prop. Try casting over cabbage beds with the same lure/rod rig as described above. here fishyyy. fishhhyyyy! It's almost barbaric!.............. But, ya gotta go with what works! Ohh ya, there are those +40" pike too! Please pass the fluorocarbon..............

Have fun!
Al

sworrall
Posted 6/4/2005 8:26 PM (#149681 - in reply to #149636)

I have used crimps for over 25 years without a single failure. I make my own leaders, and use a good pair of Linesman's pliers to seal the deal. If the crimp is properly applied, it will not damage the leader material.
2Rodknocker
Posted 6/4/2005 9:39 PM (#149687 - in reply to #149527)

I have been using the leaders from Duane at Bulletproof tackle.
He ties them up with 100 Lb. Flouro with some kind of knot that leaves a doubled over loop for the swivel or snap to swing freely from.
He leaves a tag on the swivel end for weed catching which helps a ton!
We caught a bucnh of fish trolling with the fluoro this spring and haven't had any trouble with it yet!
I think if the fish are really hot, you could use Dog Leash for leader and they would stil hit it but if they are spooky for any reason, having an invisible leader isn't going to hurt our chances a bit!
I'm sold on them, and plan on using it from here on out on all my trolling applications.
Rodney LaCaze
Shep
Posted 6/6/2005 8:12 AM (#149754 - in reply to #149687)

Only crimps I had trouble with was 4 or 5 years ago with the Titanium leadrers. I believe they have since remedied their process.

I use long 3-4' flouro leaders for my trolling setups. I use 50 or 80 lb, and tie a nui-knot. Put the swivel on a nail, lubricate, and pull tight. Have never had a failure in 5 years of doing this way.
IAJustin
Posted 6/6/2005 8:49 PM (#149854 - in reply to #149527)

19 so far this year on crimped floro
muskihntr
Posted 6/6/2005 8:57 PM (#149855 - in reply to #149527)

get a good crimp tool, make sure you use the correct size crimp area on the tool to match the same size crimps you are using, along with a drop of super glue for insrance you should have no trouble.
Schuler
Posted 6/6/2005 9:36 PM (#149860 - in reply to #149527)

I make my leaders and have never had a problem with crimps. I usually use the same leaders all year long too. I don't think I would trust some store bought leaders though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)