Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Waterproof Hikingboots/shoes

Message Subject: Waterproof Hikingboots/shoes
R Findlan
Posted 6/5/2011 8:35 PM (#501423)
Subject: Waterproof Hikingboots/shoes

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a pair of waterproof hiking boots/shoes. I'm more interested in a low cut pair to wear from June through September with my raingear when in the boat. I have been looking in Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. I currently have a pair of Cabelas lace up rubber soled boots that are nice for early fall but too hot for the summer. I would really appreciate it if you guys could give some recommendations for some brands that are light weight and very waterproof in heavy downpours and will stay dry during 10 hour days in the rain.

Thanks for your help,

Reed Findlan

Fiedler
Posted 6/5/2011 8:46 PM (#501424 - in reply to #501423)
Subject: Re: Waterproof Hikingboots/shoes

these might work for you
http://www.muckboots.com/cfs.htm
shaley
Posted 6/5/2011 8:47 PM (#501425 - in reply to #501423)
Subject: RE: Waterproof Hikingboots/shoes

Just got myself a pair of Merril Moab waterproof low cut hikers, so far one of the best hikers I have ever worn.
musty-muskie
Posted 6/5/2011 8:56 PM (#501426 - in reply to #501423)

Check out bass pro shops. There is a bill dance series ankel boot and low cut waterproof shoes i believe. They have a slight round sole, as compared to an aggressive tread sole of a hiker or your typical gor-tex boot
PEteacher44
Posted 6/5/2011 8:58 PM (#501427 - in reply to #501423)

ecco RXP Trail Series. Gore-tex. Really comfy. I liked mine, but I wore them out...
esoxfly
Posted 6/5/2011 10:09 PM (#501439 - in reply to #501423)

If you're wanting something for summer time use, you'll want to avoid anything rubber, neoprene or leather. You'll need to go the Gore Tex route. I wear Asolo for my summerweight GTX boots. They've got alot of GTX hiking boots that are very wearable in hot temps.
Pal
Posted 6/6/2011 7:39 AM (#501459 - in reply to #501439)

Red Wing Soft paws might be worth a look, mine are very comfortable.

Pal
millsie
Posted 6/6/2011 1:28 PM (#501531 - in reply to #501423)

Look in LL Bean. They have a great selection. Sell Merrels uinder their name and you save big bucks.
PSYS
Posted 6/6/2011 4:57 PM (#501566 - in reply to #501425)

shaley - 6/5/2011 8:47 PM Just got myself a pair of Merril Moab waterproof low cut hikers, so far one of the best hikers I have ever worn.

Yes, to this.  I have the exact same ones. 

My fiancee and I actually do quite a bit of hiking in the Summer and Fall.  I've done short 3/4 mile circles and day trip treks as long as 9.7 miles.  I'm actually so happy with my Merrell's that I bought a back-up wear in case they end up discontinuing this model.  I've crossed small streams with these low cut hikers and my feet remained bone dry.  They're 100% GoreTex waterproof.  The traction is also amazing and they're comfortable as heck.  If I do anything outside, chances are... I'm wearing my Merrell's.

I've even worn them in the boat because they're so comfortable if you're standing up all day chuckin' musky lures. 

I got them at our local Gander Mountain...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=403217&pdesc=Merrell_Moab_Gore_Tex_XCR_Multi_Sport_Shoes&aID=502E&merchID=4006

619musky
Posted 6/6/2011 5:14 PM (#501568 - in reply to #501423)

This is a flyfishing company and they make great apparel. These are dry and breathable and are gore-tex.
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/Pursuit_Gore-Tex_Shoe_Mid.html
curleytail
Posted 6/6/2011 10:20 PM (#501595 - in reply to #501423)

I bought a pair of the Merrell Moabs that a few guys here mentioned. Bought them last year and have been happy with them. I can't remember if I have been in a day long, soaking rain with them, but my feet have always been dry and comfortable at the end of the day wearing them.

For the most part, I use them the most in the boat only, and they still look brand new.

Tucker
hawkeye9
Posted 6/7/2011 12:02 PM (#501650 - in reply to #501595)

I wear the Moabs as well. I too like them alot. In fact, I've got a pair of the low cut and the three-quarters. My wife and I do alot of hiking and as far as staying dry through a creek crossing they're no problem. In the boat through a rain shower you'll be dry. An all day soaker and you're going to have wet feet.

The only thing I know that will keep your feet dry through the all day soaker is rubber. And, as was stated, you probably don't want rubber on your feet all day through the hot summer. Buy a pair of cheap 3/4 rubbers made to slip over dress shoes and the like and put them with your rain gear in the boat if you really want to stay perfectly dry. During the summer when the rain comes in, I just put on the rain gear and lose my shoes if at all possible. If its cold, then the rubbers come in handy.
stdevos
Posted 6/7/2011 4:08 PM (#501715 - in reply to #501423)

If your looking for footwear in the rain June through September, try on a pair of Keen's. They are a shoe/sandal hybrid and I wear them all summer long nearly everywhere I go regardless of what I'm doing. Super comfortable wet or dry. You get a pretty sweet tan line on your feet too. I had a pair of pricey gortex northface hiking shoes that only stayed waterproof for one summer.
BNelson
Posted 6/7/2011 4:15 PM (#501717 - in reply to #501423)

Merrel Moab goretex here too....I added a dr scholls gel insert and they have been good to me for a couple seasons...feet stay dry, not overly heavy and are comfortable..
Al Swearingen
Posted 6/7/2011 4:56 PM (#501731 - in reply to #501423)

I'm 10 yrs into a pair of Danner gore tex hikers. Full leather and without a doubt, the best boots I've ever owned. Better even than the Filson Chukkas my dog ate.
brmusky
Posted 6/8/2011 9:57 AM (#501825 - in reply to #501423)

I blew out a pair of Merrell's a couple years ago after wearing them for about 2-3 years. I loved those shoes but thought I would try the Danner GXT radical (or something like that). They aren't even comparable to the merrell's. I have a couple pairs of Danner hunting boots that I love and thought the hikers would be awesome as well, I was wrong. I wear these shoes all summer for work and they are just ok - they aren't waterproof after about 2 months of wearing them. I have since bought another pair of Merrell's and love them. My feet stay dry, they are much lighter, and more comfortable.
I would recomend the Merrell's over the Danners but if you really want to stay dry all day long, as has been said already, you need rubber. Rain will run down your bibs and into 3/4 length boots eventually. You need something that comes up higher inside your bibs. Muck boots are nice - you can roll them down to about the same height as a 3/4 hiking boot if you want too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)