Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Agree or Disagree?

Message Subject: Agree or Disagree?
Dacron+Dip
Posted 4/29/2005 7:03 PM (#145171 - in reply to #145088)
Subject: RE: Agree or Disagree?

I carry a handful from each category and usually fish 4 to 6 a day. Some days as few as two. No matter what the species, the best fishermen I know use a small handful of stuff (that goes for all their tackle as well as baits) and almost to a man, some of the most horrendous guys I've been on the water with need a Uhaul and are digging in their boxes all day. And 99% of the new baits they're constantly clipping on have never seen a fish. I know lots of guys with $600/$700 rod+reel combos that are terrible fishermen too. That was one of Dick Pearson's best points in that entire book: confidence and familiarity with reliable and proven gear. Surely every veteran lure had to start somewhere, though. If there's a fish on a spot under decent conditions, you'll have a hard time convincing me she won't eat a 10 inch Suick in black, an 8 inch Sledge in pink or a #5 Mepps spinner if you put it down mainstreet. Obviously the spot has a lot to do with the style of bait you can use. Tossing a 16 inch Harbour Master might not get it done on a shallow boulder, but a huge variety of baits could. The point about the aggregate 'time wasted' in changing lures during the course of a day is well taken. 10 minutes of downtime a day is nothing. The hot spot's no place for changing up I think. Timing's pretty important.
rpieske
Posted 4/29/2005 9:34 PM (#145182 - in reply to #145159)

Ditto the Handyman.
lobi
Posted 4/29/2005 10:55 PM (#145187 - in reply to #145125)

DaveG - 4/29/2005 3:16 PM

I bet we all have had experiencies where sticking to a couple of baits all day has paid off...
and days where changing baits to find what the fish want has paid off also.

I agree with Dave
As in life, especially Muskie fishing, There are no rules. You stick to the book (whatever that means) and you will be missing fish somedays. I bring many many lures with me. I usually only end up using 10 or 12 in a day but sometimes you have to use that one you don't know how to work so well yet or the one that works well for other people. You might accidentally catch a fish while goofin' around.
marine_1
Posted 4/29/2005 11:16 PM (#145189 - in reply to #145088)

Agree. What has helped me is the bait tubes around my seat. Having 4-6 baits easily accesssible has cut down on my trips to the back of the boat to look for somethin different.
DaveG
Posted 4/30/2005 2:12 AM (#145196 - in reply to #145088)

I can remember a particular day last year where I struggled for about six hours before clipping on a chartreuse spinnerbait with nickle blades and the fish just kept coming after that, other days when they will eat ANYTHING and days when they want nothing....

Edited by DaveG 4/30/2005 2:24 AM
jmuskieking
Posted 5/1/2005 5:46 AM (#145252 - in reply to #145088)

I don't switch baits I switch rods. I have 4 or 5 rods rigged with my best baits.
sputterbug
Posted 5/1/2005 6:40 PM (#145307 - in reply to #145252)

DaveG got it right.
Netman
Posted 5/1/2005 6:50 PM (#145309 - in reply to #145088)

I get yelled at all the time for switching baits. Sluggo got so mad one time that he wouldn't let me in his boat with my tackle box. He gave me a undertaker and had me throw that the whole time I was with him. (no fish)
But I like to change baits every 20 or so casts, not only does it keep the fatigue down but I have this thing with baits that don't bring fish to the boat. The only time I might keep a bait on for longer is when I troll, then I'll let some baits run for 30 to 40 minutes.

Netman

Edited by Netman 5/1/2005 6:55 PM
muskihntr
Posted 5/1/2005 7:41 PM (#145316 - in reply to #145088)

STRONGLY AGREE!!!!!!!!! i have this argument with my partner all the time who switches more baits than anyone ive ever seen! you can be the smartest fisherman in the world but if you dont have a bait in the water you are not gonna catch any fish!!! pick out some confidence baits and keep on chuckin em!!! dont waste valubale time in the boat tuning lures, changing leaders, making creatures, etc, etc!!!! just fish!!!
Beaver
Posted 5/1/2005 7:47 PM (#145317 - in reply to #145316)

When I am in someone elses boat, I downsize greatly. When I'm in my boat, I load up.
I bought'em and I'm gonna use 'em #*^@it!
Beav
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)