Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What digital camera are you using for fish pictures?

Message Subject: What digital camera are you using for fish pictures?
MuskieE
Posted 4/24/2005 1:17 PM (#144301)
Subject: What digital camera are you using for fish pictures?

looking for a digital camera,what are you guys using.pro's con's.
muskihntr
Posted 4/24/2005 1:37 PM (#144302 - in reply to #144301)
Subject: RE: What digital camera are you using for fish pictures?

olypus stylus 400 im very happy with it. when i fish alone it has a timer and also a remote so either way im covered and it takes great pics! it has a rechargable battery which lasts a long time and i have found alot nicer than constantly having to buy and change aa batteries!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(web36[2].JPG)

(johngare34[1].5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments web36[2].JPG (24KB - 100 downloads)
Attachments johngare34[1].5.JPG (49KB - 89 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 4/24/2005 1:47 PM (#144305 - in reply to #144302)

I have three. I use a Nikon 995 or Nikon 5000 at the outings and tournaments, and a Fuji Fine Pix 2800 for other simpler OutdoorsFIRST picture needs. We carry a Samsung in the boat, too, but most pics I'll take this year on the water will be with the Fuji, it has a very high quality lens and was an inexpensive camera at under $200.
muskie! nut
Posted 4/24/2005 2:11 PM (#144307 - in reply to #144301)

I use the olympus stylus 410, same as the 400, muskihntr is using but a newer version. One thing that muskihntr forgot to mention about that camera is that is it water resistance. I don't think you want to dunk it, but if some drops get on it, it won't kill it. I have had mine about a year and have been very happy with it.

Now all I need to do is catch some fish to take picture with it. But I sure would shoot a picutre of Gare with it like muskihntr as I am surprized that the camera didn't explode. But I think if is able to handle my ugly mug, might be durable enough for you clowns out there.
lambeau
Posted 4/24/2005 2:12 PM (#144308 - in reply to #144301)

check out these previous threads on this with lots of very good info!
look for optical zoom. a good lens is worth is weight in gold in picture quality...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18...
muskihntr
Posted 4/24/2005 2:57 PM (#144311 - in reply to #144301)

thanks for putting that up about the water resistance muskie nut! well the whole point behind posting the gare pic just shows what a great camera it is, most cameras would break for sure!!!
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 4/24/2005 5:43 PM (#144316 - in reply to #144311)

Here's two great sources for information about digital cameras:

http://www.cnet.com

http://www.dpreview.com/
kap n jim
Posted 4/24/2005 8:37 PM (#144332 - in reply to #144301)

Water resistant is important. My camera (which I was given) is not water resistant. If I was to buy one, that would be the FIRST thing I would look for. - jim
Jomusky
Posted 4/24/2005 9:35 PM (#144349 - in reply to #144332)

My Kodak is not even water resistant. It is hard to find one that is. I think the only one offered is a Olympus.

I went to Gander and bought a Lexan Waterproof case from their camping section. Then lined it with some grey foam. Works great, no worries, not even in the worst seas. It helps for ice fishing too, when brought in the house I just leave it in the case until it warms up so it doen't get full of condensation.
Big Perc
Posted 4/24/2005 9:43 PM (#144352 - in reply to #144301)

I use a Cannon Powershot A75 3.2 mega pixel...I got it for christmas this year and so far have liked everything about it...I have a 256 MegaByte memory card that will hold 250 photos and 12 minutes worth of video so if you feel the need to make a home made muskie video, this will do it...I used it to video some of my turkey hunt this past weekend...it ran me about $160 and came with a 32 MegaByte card...I purchased the 256 separate...this is a pretty niffty little camera with more than enough functions to satisfy a beginner or even a seasoned veteran to photography...I highly recommend it...

Big Perc
lobi
Posted 4/25/2005 5:04 AM (#144363 - in reply to #144308)

lambeau - 4/24/2005 3:12 PM
look for optical zoom. a good lens is worth is weight in gold in picture quality...

I take tons of pictures, not just fishing. I love my Minolta Dimage Z1. It has rapid burst pics available. I can shoot . click/click/click/click/etc. Get a bunch of photos in rapid action and later just keep the one I want. It also has video With sound. Most video functions on digital cameras don't have sound. It is built and designed around the full size Single Reflex Lens (SLR) film cameras. It functions in fully automatic mode or you can use it in manual if you want to get creative. It also has a 10X optcal zoom. Awesome for far away shots. A digital zoom will only enlarge your pixels and get grainy fast. The Lens is huge clear and bright compared to most digital cameras. It even has threads for screwing on filters and wide angle or telephoto lenses. I bought a 2X zoom (doubles my 10X optical zoom) and a .5 wide angle lens off ebay for about $50. New the camera is about $350-$400. I bought mine off ebay. They have factory remanufactured ones for $180!! I am not afraid to buy factory refurbished electronic items. They get a 90 day warranty instead of the regular 1 year. If electronics work for 90 days they will last a year. I also think a factory refurbished already has the items that might go wrong..fixed.

For batteries in digital cameras.. just buy good ones! Look at the Milli-Amp rating. A lot of them are between 1500 and 2100 mAh. I bought Energizer 2500 mAh rechargeables from Wally Mart and these things last forever. Digital cameras do suck a lot of juice. Keep a fresh set of AA's in your tackle box for an emergency.

(Minolta.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Minolta.jpg (7KB - 94 downloads)
Muskydr
Posted 4/25/2005 5:22 AM (#144366 - in reply to #144301)

We have a Sony Mavica 350 that although a little bulky takes awesome pics as well as a 15 minute movie or so if ya have the time:)
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/25/2005 8:33 AM (#144385 - in reply to #144301)

E- Just picked up a Kodak "EasyShare" CX7430 (4.0 M-Pixel) at walley world (complete package -> camera- charger-carrying case-USB cable) - very easy to use - no special docking station or card reader needed.

check this out-> http://www.inette.com/dcbt/digital_camera_beginners_tutorial_Home.h...

Have fun
Al
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 4/25/2005 9:21 AM (#144398 - in reply to #144301)

I have a Cannon G-3. It is the smallest Cannon that has allows for a polarizing attachment to eliminate water glare. The picture's quality are incredible.
I also have a camera case called Dri-Safe by OutPack (they have a website)that is completely water tight and small in size. For all we do outdoors and in all kinds of weather conditions, a quality camera case is as important as a quality camera. The case is advertised that it floats with your camera inside. I have had both the camera and the case in the mountains elk hunting, in the rain and snow muskie fishing and under similar conditions deer and turkey hunting.
Shep
Posted 4/25/2005 9:38 AM (#144401 - in reply to #144398)

Kodak. Overall, I think this is a great system with the Easy Share dock. Take your pics, and then just plunk it on the dock, push a button, and it transfers your pics to your puter automatically. Charges the battery while on the dock.
MACK
Posted 4/25/2005 10:48 AM (#144422 - in reply to #144301)

My wife and I, expecting a baby in October and as well for the musky fishing, are also in the market and looking for a digital camera that takes both digital video with sound and digital still pix all in one package. I'm also wanting to find the camera that does those things and also is compatible with Macintosh computers and iPhoto. Since I'm a graphic designer, I work on all Macintosh platforms. Does anyone have any recommendations that fits the bill?
Muskydr
Posted 4/25/2005 11:48 AM (#144430 - in reply to #144301)

Mack look into the Sony Mavica line, various models, fits the bill for what you are looking for as well. My 2 cents worth........... Dave J
LeMay
Posted 4/25/2005 12:11 PM (#144443 - in reply to #144301)

I like the Nikon D2H, 24 to 120mm 1:3.5 VR lens, shoot on JPG fine makes great 20x24 color prints. But what do I know.

LeMay OUT
kevin
Posted 4/26/2005 8:18 PM (#144705 - in reply to #144301)

Olympus stylus 400. The 410 is the newer one, though both can still be found at some stores. These are great cameras and I would highly reccomend them. A good price should be maybe $279 TigerDirect.com sometimes has them http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?M...
It has both a remote control and a selftimer for those shots when by yourself. Here is a couple shots from mine

(Copy of P3270028.JPG)

(P9040016-resized.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Copy of P3270028.JPG (41KB - 90 downloads)
Attachments P9040016-resized.JPG (49KB - 96 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 4/26/2005 9:13 PM (#144715 - in reply to #144301)

PENTAX makes some nice Water Proof cameras...not water resistant, water proof...I have the 43 Model....if you are going to fish in rain, getting something that can take good pics in the rain without worry of hurting your camera is a must.
muskynightmare
Posted 4/26/2005 10:06 PM (#144726 - in reply to #144301)

Eric, did you not see mine and Lori's yet? Come over. I will not allow you to take pictures of your "purple power bait' though. lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)