Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Check your line guides....:(

Message Subject: Check your line guides....:(
BenR
Posted 4/21/2005 4:59 PM (#143999)
Subject: Check your line guides....:(

Just a reminder to check your line guides. Was not 5 minutes into a trolling past with the drag screamed, went to grab the rod and the line broke. I have never broke 80lb tuff plus before, so a bit suprised. Felt bad leaving a fish with tuff shad in it's mouth. Found the culprit, a cracked line guide, had to look really close to see it. We did manage a couple more fish in the 2.5 hours out today.....Ben
BALDY
Posted 4/21/2005 6:02 PM (#144010 - in reply to #143999)
Subject: RE: Check your line guides....:(

ran a q-tip over all my guides when I was stringing up the rods the other night.

quick and easy way to save a fish
Big Perc
Posted 4/21/2005 8:37 PM (#144052 - in reply to #143999)

I take my rods in every year to see if this needs to be done and I had multiple guides on multiple rods that had the same thing happen to them...always scares me that something like that might happen to me...still waiting to loose my first muskie...4 for 4 thus far...knock on wood ...

Big Perc
sworrall
Posted 4/22/2005 12:48 PM (#144152 - in reply to #144052)

Hey Ben,
Where you fishing now? Good to hear from you, let me know if you have any plans to head west at all this year.
JohnMD
Posted 4/22/2005 1:55 PM (#144167 - in reply to #143999)

Ben: Don't drop any State Records overboard

BigMo
Posted 4/22/2005 6:09 PM (#144193 - in reply to #143999)

I lost a LARGE fish during the Kly outing and at the time we were baffled by it. Within seconds of the rod doubling over, I was just getting the rod out of the holder and the fish broke me off above the leader. 50' of open water, no structure even close, proper set up (7'10" Loomis, same season Power Pro, solid knots, quality leader).....what happened?!?!

Drag was a bit too tight, but I should have had time to get to the rod and backing it off. After many hours of thinking and finally veeeeeery close inspection of the rod, I'm convinced a mini crack on a line guide caused a weak spot in the line over time and it took a big fish moment to highlight it.

That is a long way of saying I feel for you Ben and to say to everyone else, check your guides and ALL parts of your of gear often. Visual checks are not enough.....use Q tips to check the guides, consider changing line more than once a season if you put more time on the water, make sure your leader snaps and bodies are not worn, etc.

It will not be a 28" dink on the other end when something fails, it will be a big girl that would do right by Kly and send me to Frank Walsh's camp
Steve Jonesi
Posted 4/22/2005 6:46 PM (#144197 - in reply to #143999)

Mo,
That one still breaks my heart.The rod doubled over and stayed there!Big fish man.You are cordially invited to 'Sota this season for a full day on the water.I was impressed with you and Pliiiiitz the way you hung in there.Those conditions were miserable at best.To tough it out and then lose Shamu was was not the script I'd written.We will change that this year.Stay in touch. Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)