Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tricks for tying spinnerbaits?

Message Subject: Tricks for tying spinnerbaits?
greenduck
Posted 4/16/2005 8:54 AM (#143338)
Subject: Tricks for tying spinnerbaits?

Hello,

I built some bucktails last year. They were a carbon copy of the Eagletails and worked pretty well. I am just building them for my own use. 1 million and 8 bucktail salesmen
is enough.

This year I want to build a couple spinnerbaits. I've been buying components from Stamina tackle and am only wondering really about any tips on tying spinnerbaits. Is there really any difference? I'm thinking about using hair, marabou, etc. The rubber skirts can just be slid on so that won't be a big deal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Bill C.
sledge51
Posted 4/16/2005 10:30 AM (#143345 - in reply to #143338)
Subject: RE: Tricks for tying spinnerbaits?

Hi, all the skirt materials you mentioned will work, I like bucktail the best. It is the hardest to work with, but makes a great bait. It pays to glue all your wraps with head-cement so one tooth dosn't untie everything. There is a good article in Esox Angler (can't find it right now) a while back about tying spinnerbaits. Moores lures has some great stuff for luremaking, I realy like the metalic ribbon, (like used on Rad-Dogs) for tying trailer hooks. Good luck, making your own baits is rewarding and fun.
muskyone
Posted 4/16/2005 1:37 PM (#143353 - in reply to #143338)

Try tieing your rubber skirting material as well. You can layer colors very nicely. ie: white on the belly green sides, black top etc. Can get rubber with scale patterns now and chrome scales etc. Could make some very interesting patterns with all the new materials available.
lobi
Posted 4/16/2005 6:09 PM (#143365 - in reply to #143338)

I would recomend (you probably arleady are) using closed eye (line tie area) arms instead of the "R" bend most bass ones have. I have had Smallmouth straighten them right out. If they are not closed eye you can make them that way easily enough by grabbing the bend area with pliers and twisting the blade section of the arm 360 degrees. I also really like a lot of the newer ones with a little tinsel strands tied in, usually a little longer than the hackles or hair.
muskynightmare
Posted 4/16/2005 8:55 PM (#143382 - in reply to #143338)

Bend the wire out of your way, you can bend it back later. Put some screen spline over the hook point so the hook does not fray or cut the thread. get creative and go nuts!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)