Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Trolling rod holders

Message Subject: Trolling rod holders
muskycore
Posted 3/10/2005 2:28 PM (#138409)
Subject: Trolling rod holders

Why do muskie fisherman use plastic adjustable rod holders?
Why do they angle their rods into the water? Beside some extra weed stealth from floaters I don't understand the logic.
I have aluminium salmon holders on my Tuffy and I always get double takes by other muskie boats like I have small poxs.

DJS
Posted 3/10/2005 2:33 PM (#138410 - in reply to #138409)
Subject: RE: Trolling rod holders

The plastic holders in general are quicker and easier to adjust. As far as the rod tip in the water it is very useful on high recreation use lakes that contain tons of milfoil.
MuskieMike
Posted 3/11/2005 12:11 AM (#138466 - in reply to #138409)

Down East's are my favorite rod holders. Preferably their Salty S-10. Double clamp ,rated to 85 lb fish ,100 lb line ... Ain't nothin gettin away! Rods in the water? I don't know why either? I always thought it was to get the bait down a little deeper in a shortline situation?

MM
lobi
Posted 3/11/2005 2:51 AM (#138469 - in reply to #138409)

Yep, gets the lures in the water period.

We run rods as far forward as we can on the boat and the lure is only 5 feet off the rod tip. You can see them swimming beside the boat with clear water. One day out my buddy and I had a 10 fish on (7 landed and released) day. 6 of the fish were off the down rods beside the boat. It was our best day on the water ever but we are sold on down rods. A couple were in the prop wash (also tips in the water) and a couple came off the boards.

We do run some prop wash lures from an upright rod. We use a downrigger clip with rubberbands on it connected to the tie down loops on the transom. Now the rod is up where you can see it better but the line doubles right back down into the water right next to the boat. The wash lures are from 5 feet back to 20 feet back.
Posted 3/11/2005 11:08 AM (#138516 - in reply to #138409)

I fish the Fox Chain a lot during the Spring. You simply can't fish this lake without having your rods buried in the water. There are huge mats of floating weeds because of boating traffic. On reservoirs that don't have a lot of weed growth, I will have them out of the water.
strike_zone
Posted 3/12/2005 6:16 AM (#138614 - in reply to #138409)

I use the Scotty Striker rod holder, and have been using these now for over 15 years without a single problem. It is a nylon plastic composite that is extremely tough, and also features a couple of stainless steel extensions with a cradle that allows the forearm of the rod to rest in that cradle with a locking ring. These rod holders adjust much faster than a Down-Easter. They're equally as strong. Because that cradle rests the forearm of the rod, they also relieve much of the pressure that all other rod holders concentrate at the reel seat, which is already the most stressed area of the rod. Additionally, if you use the wrap-around reel locks that Penn supplies on their better reels, you'll also find that rods with these wrap-arounds won't fit properly into a Down-Easter. In my opinion, it is faster to get the rod out of a Striker than a Down-Easter when a fish hits as well. The adjustment settings on the Striker allow for a greater number of vertival angles and set-back angles that a Down-Easter. Now, let me say that I have used Down-Easters, and they're a good product. For my style of fishing, I feel the Scotty Striker offers me more flexibility. Lastly, when fishing alone, my big Beckman Pen handle fits just as nice as you please into one of those Striker bases, which is like having another set of hands when it's big fish time.

The reason you'll see guys angling their rods down and into the water is predominantly to eliminate floating weeds that foul baits up. The rod catches the floating debris, leaving your bait running unaffected below. Running your rods down and into the water doesn't hurt the rod in any way (unless you hit something, like getting too close to a buoy or a boat dock.) It's a very effective tactic for running baits on ultra short-lines as well, or for getting greater depth with a conventional bait. Another plus is that because a striking fish feels a more horizontally generated pressure, they're less like to go airborne on you in that first 10-15 seconds after they contact your bait and feel the hooks... hence, you lose less fish.

Regards,
SKUNKMUSKY
Posted 3/12/2005 9:59 AM (#138629 - in reply to #138409)

Never quite understood it, running rod tips in the water, If your poles get fouled with floating weeds don't you still have to clear them ? With the rod tips exposed you can see the action of the lures allowing speed adjustments as required, or cleaning of fouled rods. I may just be used to the salmon fishing days.

Core

Vector Tech has a new adjustable pull and pivot knuckle for your holders, allows complete adusting, up-down like you have now but you pull up and can adjust side to side(SWEET).

Fishing the Chain after the temps warm up stinks, the water is so muddy you can't see your lures 6 inches under water. Time to go to Villas then or fish Delavan for Eyes or Geneva smallies.
Web site is VECTORTEC or VECTORTECH or just link through VECTOR SPORTS. My rod holders are the nicest thing on my boat.
kevin
Posted 3/12/2005 2:52 PM (#138644 - in reply to #138409)

I know where I fish having the tip in the water does help keep weeds off line. As for plastic, I have some actions on my boat, but have also recently upgraded to the clamp on Down East Salty Dogs.. Several others I fish with also have the salty's or other Down East rod holders.. The looks are not because they think you are crazy, but rather where in the he77 did he find those? Also gotta say that in my experience the Down east are just as easy to operate as any other type out there.

Edited by kevin 3/12/2005 2:56 PM
SKUNKMUSKY
Posted 3/12/2005 3:58 PM (#138649 - in reply to #138644)

I am sure the looks are for the new Tuffy boat with that big Honda motor, not the rod holders. Those down east rod holders are contraptions compared to the Vectors. Check out the web sight!

My Vector rod holders are the nicest thing on my boat !!

Swivel pivoting bases, adjustable rod heights, all CNC MACHIENED aluminum and your choice of colors- ITS ALL GOOD !!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)