Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hi everyone

Message Subject: Hi everyone
musky14
Posted 3/3/2005 9:28 AM (#137421)
Subject: Hi everyone

Hi everyone I have checked out this site a few times and think it is great and I finally registered. I am fairly new to muskie fishing, but last year I caught the fever while I was fishing in Canada at a friends cabin. Now I can't wait until the season starts. As of now all I really have is a rod and a few lures. If some of you could help out and let me know some of the must have lures, ect. I will need for getting started I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
MJ

Edited by musky14 3/3/2005 9:29 AM
tomyv
Posted 3/3/2005 9:29 AM (#137422 - in reply to #137421)
Subject: RE: ---

musky 14, glad to have ya. Where are you from?
lobi
Posted 3/3/2005 9:56 AM (#137430 - in reply to #137421)
Subject: RE: Hi everyone

Welcome to the Great Disease of Muskie Fishing.
What a way to go.

Win the lotto and get a couple of muskie catalogs and go nuts! (just kidding)
Read this site from cover to cover.. a million tips and tactics covered here.
Great folks too!
IAJustin
Posted 3/3/2005 10:22 AM (#137436 - in reply to #137421)

Musky14

There are five must have "types"

1) Hair (bucktail) - get a spinnerbait (like bionic bucktail) and an inline like a buchertail
2) Topwater - would start with a topraider and a jackpot
3) Jerkbaits - Suick and a Glider such as a Phantom
4) Crankbaits - such as depthraider also a Jake is a "must have" - great twitched
5) Big Jigs/ Plastic - A bulldog is very good bait - jigs with plastics can be fished at most depths

All 10 are easy to find - Good luck with your new addiction!
MuskieMedic
Posted 3/3/2005 10:27 AM (#137437 - in reply to #137421)

Welcome aboard sir. Ditto on what IA already said. You don't need every bait out there, start simple and gain confidence in those baits and then maybe start to expand your horizons. There's plenty of awesome articles and threads on here with more muskie information than anywhere. Use the search feature to find just about anything muskie related, and don't be afraid to ask any questions.
nwild
Posted 3/3/2005 10:56 AM (#137441 - in reply to #137437)

Welcome aboard! The guys that posted already have it covered pretty good. While I have hundreds of baits, I have been known to go weeks at a time throwing only three or four of them. A good fishermen is not judged by the quanity of baits he owns.

Here are the basic must haves.

Mepps Musky Marabou
Bucher Top Raider
Some type of twitch bait-Shallow Invader or 10" Jake
Triple D
BullDawg
and some type of glide bait-X Glide or Jerko.

Six Baits--should cover you for nearly all conditions. I have a hunch in a few years you will own many more.
musky14
Posted 3/3/2005 11:14 AM (#137445 - in reply to #137421)

Thanks guys, when looking for lures what colors are important? The lakes that I will fish most of the time are pretty stained. So I would assume bright colors. I will make at least one trip up to Leech maybe two. I have been trying to get some buddies into muskie fishing so I will always have someone to fish with. the rod I have is 6'6" heavy action. I've been told a longer rod will be better for casting bucktails and spinners, should this be something I should consider getting? Thanks.

MJ
ulbian
Posted 3/3/2005 11:35 AM (#137448 - in reply to #137421)

There are some very good suggestions already posted so I won't add anything more specific. However, one thing you could do for starters is look into picking up a stained water or clear water package of baits that a number of stores offer. It is bigger initial investment but most of the time you can get these cheaper than if you would buy everything individually.

Funny thing about buying baits is that eventually you very possibly could find yourself only using 5% of the baits you own. The first thing I ever bought was a craw/walleye baby shallow raider and now around 500 baits later that first bait I ever purchased is usually one of the first two things I'll throw.

I would encourage you to learn one type of bait extensively and then move on to a nother one. Sometimes when you head out only take jerkbaits and fish them to death. Learn what they do, and the next time out only use gliders and so on. Too often I see people hearing about a "hot bait" and they'll buy a few but never learn how to properly use them and give up on them all too quickly.
muskyone
Posted 3/3/2005 12:01 PM (#137450 - in reply to #137430)

14, Welcome to our world. You have just begun a journey into the greatest sport in the world. Difficult to learn but well worth the effort. The folks here will help you out better than anywhere else I have been and they have a lot of info to share. Again, welcome and post often, also join in the chat sessions as you will learn a great deal there as well. Don't be afraid to ask any question here as we all need help from time to time. Talk to you again soon, Mike.
Mauser
Posted 3/4/2005 12:19 PM (#137639 - in reply to #137421)

Welcome to the board . You'll meet a lot of good people here along with a world of knowledge from the best in the business. If I was gonna buy 6 new lures and try to cover all bases, heres what I'd get:

1) a well made , in-line bucktail about 7" long and in the 1 to 1 1/4 oz range ( Buchertail , Harrasser, Mepps tandem)

2) Double bladed spinnerbait , same weight range (Fudally Stump Hawg, Grim Reaper, Marv's Viper tandem are a few good ones but there are many to choose from.

3) A good glide bait ( Undertaker, Manta, Cobbs , the list goes on and on )

4) A good "dive and rise" jerkbait ( Suick, Bobbie bait, SLEDGE,( my favorite)

5) Topwater ( Topraider, Tallywacker,Musky buster "Stomper", Slammer Thunderhead)

6) Crankbait/twitchbait ( Depthraider, Wileys, Crane, Grandma, Jake) stick with something in the 7"-8" range to start with, add to them as time goes by and you learn the waters you fish.

Hope this helps and above all , don't be afraid to ask questions, that's how you learn.

Mauser

MuskieMedic
Posted 3/4/2005 1:06 PM (#137647 - in reply to #137421)

In regards to a longer rod, you should be fine for now with 6' 6. A 7' 6 or longer for bucktails and surface baits make them easier to launch and make direction changes. I think a 7'0 MH rod is really the most versatile for me. If you are looking to save a few bucks the South Bend Rizzo rods are pretty good for the money, I have a couple that are over 6 years old with tons of use. Don't forget to look in the "Buy Sell or Trade" section of this board, lot's of good deals especially on big lot's of baits.

Edited by MuskieMedic 3/4/2005 1:07 PM
Dacron+Dip
Posted 3/4/2005 2:37 PM (#137658 - in reply to #137421)

Mauser, the Sledge and Thunderhead are two good baits for me also, don't remember the last time either got a lot of mention on these types of threads, cool.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)