Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Grinding - Spinnerbaits in thick cover -- What's your technique?

Message Subject: Grinding - Spinnerbaits in thick cover -- What's your technique?
esox23
Posted 3/2/2005 10:04 PM (#137377)
Subject: Grinding - Spinnerbaits in thick cover -- What's your technique?

Been hearing/reading alot over the last couple years about grinding spinnerbaits in thick cover (weeds). I have tried this a few times but find that I seem to come up with weeds and have little to no confidence in doing this. Could someone please explain the proper way to "grind" effectively? Also do silicon skirt spinnerbaits work better then bucktail skirts or does it not matter?

This is something I would like to work more on this season...

Esox23
MuskieMedic
Posted 3/2/2005 10:10 PM (#137379 - in reply to #137377)
Subject: RE: Grinding - Spinnerbaits in thick cover -- What's your technique?

I had pretty good luck last year doing this with Violent Strike and Slopmasters. I took a lot of pike and some nice muskies.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 3/3/2005 12:43 AM (#137392 - in reply to #137377)

Best advice is to get Dick Pearson's Muskies On The Sheild and you can actually watch it done.Very good.Point the rod at the bait and reel/pull back on weeds.Practice,practice, practice.Oh, and don't worry about some weeds on the bait, they'll still eat it.Stupid fish.I don't know if "weedlessness" is as much skirting material as it is head design and the angle of the arm to the head.So many good spinnerbaits out there today.Never met a spinnerbait I didn't like.This may be the year of the Eagle Spin.X. Steve
muskyboy
Posted 3/3/2005 12:54 AM (#137393 - in reply to #137377)

Just work it fast across the top, or to actually grind use a Rad Dog or ERC Grinder and toss it into the weeds and let it sink, then work it carefully thru the weeds bumping them to cause an extra strike trigger!
matt
Posted 3/3/2005 6:43 AM (#137397 - in reply to #137377)

You can go to "Pearson's Corner""of the E.R.C. website and read about grinding. Or as Steve said... the Muskies on the Shield DVD has a good segment on grinding. He actually catches his biggest fish on film with that technique. In my humble opinion it is a technique that a lot of people know about but very few practice... You can "grind" with any spinnerbait. The Pearson Grinder will go through the weeds faster and cleaner than most. Faster is the key.

http://www.esoxresearch.com/erc_web/dick_p/articles/grinding.htm

matt
tomyv
Posted 3/3/2005 9:37 AM (#137424 - in reply to #137397)

I love the rad dogs, and I love the "spinnerbait through the weeds" technique. That being said, just go out and do it, takes very little time to figure out how to get that thing thru there. Point the rod at the bait, when it get's thick, raise your rod tip, repeat. Having weeds on the bait isn't a problem, as long as the blades are spinning the fish will eat them.
matt
Posted 3/3/2005 1:11 PM (#137461 - in reply to #137377)

esox23,

The bulky skirting material does ad a little bit of weedlessness. I like rubber,like on a Grinder or Rad Dog, vs hair cause of the larger profile. The way the wire hits the head, gage of wire, head design, blade size and spinner arm length ALL decide how well it will go through weeds.

Tommyv is right it takes very little time to learn...however "grinding" is an art. Just like every presentation in musky fishing. It takes about 1 minute to learn and a lifetime to master.

good luck!!

matt

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)