Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Question about Lowrance depth finders?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Question about Lowrance depth finders?
Plunker
Posted 5/18/2004 10:25 AM (#107023)
Subject: Question about Lowrance depth finders?

I've been looking at a new depth finder since the old POS Eagle died and I've got a couple of questions. First off on models such as the x-125/x-135 with vertical pixels of 480, does this translate to actual better fish finding capability than the x-15 with only 350 vertical pixels? Does the x-15 have a better filtering system to read soundings or does it just have more features and is GPS capable. I do not need to be paying extra for GPS options since I already have a Raytheon unit.

Secondly how big of a deal is higher power going to make say 4000 watts vs. 2400 watts.

Also any other suggestions on a good depth finder besides Lowrance, or other models I should be looking at.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Plunker 5/18/2004 10:26 AM
Plunker
Posted 5/18/2004 3:45 PM (#107070 - in reply to #107023)
Subject: RE: Question about Lowrance depth finders?

Another question. I'm thinking of running a transducer on the back of the boat as well as on the trolling motor. Both would probably be Lowrance units. How much interference would occur between the two transducers? Would it be better to run both units off of the rear transducer. How would power differences affect the ability to use one transducer?

As far as the question regarding transducer location I'm looking for any tips from people that have helped their high speed reliability. I am not looking at any shoot through hull transducers (if that's even possible on an aluminum boat.) Things I think might help high speed readability would be to bolt on a 1/2" or 3/4" of plastic on the back then add the transducer in hoping that placing it further back would place it in less turbulant water am I wrong in thinking this?

I know I've got a lot of questions, but getting electronics to work properly is a very important issue, and I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks

Tom
Shep
Posted 5/19/2004 9:47 AM (#107125 - in reply to #107070)

I have the X-15MT, and love it. Until I saw the X-19C, and the X-104C this year, it's by far the best sonar I have ever used. A friend just purchased a LMS-480 and it looks to be a very nice unit. I think this would be equivalent to the X-135. Vertical resolution is the name of the game. The more vertical pixels you have, the better. That said, I like big screens, and the X-15,19,104 fit the bill here.

I have a unit on the bow as well, and have the Universal Sonar option on my MK. Works great. I do not get any interference on the front X-51. I will get some from the X-15 on the back, but not until I get in deeper water, say 30 feet. Not a problem though, to me. I use the Rig Rite Transducer Mounting Board on my transom for mounting the transducers, speed wheel, etc. Works great, and only two holes in your transom. Not sure if setting it back that 3/4" helps, but I get solid bottom up to WOT. Also, you want that transducer for the bowmount to be up front, so you know what is under you when in the front. Especially important when you're trying to stay on a breakline.
Slamr
Posted 5/19/2004 8:39 PM (#107176 - in reply to #107023)

Check out the archived chats hosted by Luke Morris of Lowrance, I believe at least some of your answers are there. He knows his stuff....he helps write the user manuals.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)