Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Early season topwater?

Message Subject: Early season topwater?
Rockin' SV
Posted 3/14/2004 8:50 AM (#100461)
Subject: Early season topwater?

I noticed in the first lure of the year thread that a few mentioned they'd be using topwater lure. Are topwaters good right after ice off or do you need to wait until the water warms a little? Does the effectiveness of types of topwater lures change throughout the year? Such as would a Giant Jackpot be better than a Topraider at one point of the year and then another time of the year a Topraider would be better than a Giant Jackpot?

Plitz.....
Posted 3/14/2004 2:44 PM (#100489 - in reply to #100461)
Subject: RE: Early season topwater?

If I feel that the fish are very shallow trying to warm up.Even if the water is in the 40's I would throw a topwater myself.I would probaly throw something more subtle though like a topper or flaptail.
E's musky Baits
Posted 3/14/2004 4:01 PM (#100496 - in reply to #100461)

I will use one theat I make. The Efrog from Ev's Musky Baits. I will fish it real slow, but with a small pull or pop of the rod. Muskys can't stop themselves!!! REEL them in

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(MVC-026S.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MVC-026S.JPG (17KB - 286 downloads)
muskyboy
Posted 3/14/2004 4:11 PM (#100500 - in reply to #100461)

I like the smaller TopWalker I have opposed to the larger Super Topraiders, Topraiders, Jackpots, and Pacemakers I throw most of the season.

Steve
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 3/15/2004 7:32 AM (#100552 - in reply to #100461)

Tradition says not to throw topwater until the water temperature reaches 60 degrees.
Following "tradition" just may be a good way to miss a great opportunity at those shallow spring muskies!
Supposedly the water is too cold or whatever the excuse is not to throw topwater before that magical 60 degrees. If you think about, what would be easier presentation for a muskie to react to than a subtle slow moving topwater bait? A Hog Wobbler, Creeper, or Splashtail if the water has some chop to it, should be a great option.
The only rules to muskie fishing are 1) There are no rules, and 2) The best time to go is when you can!
Don't miss out on fish because of "tradition"!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 3/15/2004 7:33 AM
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 3/15/2004 2:47 PM (#100611 - in reply to #100461)

My choices for topwaters are usually based upon the water conditions. I try to match the aggressiveness of the bait's action as the wave action increases.
As I had originated the rules that I noted on the previous post, the following are my general guidelines that I use to select which topwater bait to throw.
Calm Water and/or drizzle to moderate rain: Hog Wobbler; Creeper; Splashtail Baits; stop & go twitch crankbaits.
Mild Wave Action (under 12" waves and lite to moderate rain): Thundertails; Pacemakers; Splashtail baits; Talley Wackers; Top Raiders; Giant Jackpots; Topper Stoppers; Thunderheads.
Strong Wave Action (above 12" waves and moderate to heavy rain): Thunderheads; Globe style baits;

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 3/15/2004 2:50 PM
muskyboy
Posted 3/15/2004 6:33 PM (#100632 - in reply to #100461)

Also forgot to mention the Cisco Kid Topper as a great early season lure that has produced many fish for me over the last decade!

Steve
greenduck
Posted 3/15/2004 7:48 PM (#100646 - in reply to #100461)

My best early season topwater bait has been the husky size hawg wobbler.
It has raised the most fish for me during the spring as well as my
coldest water temp. fish.
MuskieMedic
Posted 3/15/2004 10:16 PM (#100668 - in reply to #100461)

Tradition schmadition! I throw topwater from opener till it bounces off the ice!

Posted 3/16/2004 12:39 PM (#100735 - in reply to #100461)

I usually don't throw topwater right away. When the water does start to warm I start out with small topwater baits like bass buzz baits. When the water gets warm enough, then I throw loud baits when it's windy and quiet baits when it's calm.

Ty
Rockin' SV
Posted 3/16/2004 5:23 PM (#100774 - in reply to #100461)

Good input guys, thanks for the responses. A bass size lure that excelled for me last year was the Bass Pro Shops Topknocker, that thing is loud and did quite well. When I'm throwing smaller topwaters this year it may get replaced though, I found one a couple weeks ago at Bass Pro shops called a C'ultiva Tango Dancer that's just a little bigger than a Zara Spook and one of the most awesome lures I've ever seen.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)