Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Can a Komodo Handle "Magnum"?

Message Subject: Can a Komodo Handle "Magnum"?
7.62xJay
Posted 10/5/2024 6:13 PM (#1031103)
Subject: Can a Komodo Handle "Magnum"?

I waited waaaaaay too long last year to send my reels to Matt's in the off season. Had to buy new reels in order to fish this year. So now I have far more reels than rods currently, I think I'm going to make this a habit . I have a Chaos Shock n Awe on the way, and am fixin' to use it for "mag" class rubber. The XXXH Bulldawg rod I use for Pounders and Monsters i think is just too much, it works fine for mag baits but just seems like I'm exerting too much effort for a lighter weight bait. Hoping the Shock n Awe will fill a middle ground I've been missing.
I can either throw an Abu revo Toro Beast on it or an Okuma Komodo 400 or a Penn Fathom 400 on it.
Leaning towards the Komodo.
Do you think it will hold up for this purpose?
Ronix
Posted 10/7/2024 8:09 AM (#1031114 - in reply to #1031103)
Subject: Re: Can a Komodo Handle "Magnum"?

yes they are a tough reel
monsterlures
Posted 10/8/2024 4:52 AM (#1031121 - in reply to #1031103)

it is a very durable reel, so that wont be a issue.

however, it might be more appropriate to leave the Komodo on the MI XXXH and use the TORO Beast on the Chaos XXH?

7.62xJay
Posted 10/9/2024 11:52 PM (#1031145 - in reply to #1031103)

Thanks for the replies. Those 3 reels are rodless currently, the MI has a reel on her already. Was leaning towards the Komodo for this application because it needs to be re-lined regardless, the break system is the least user friendly adjustable- so a dedicated purpose seems to suit the bill, it appears to be built H.D. but I just don't hear or see much about it talked on. So figured I'd ask.
RyanJoz
Posted 10/12/2024 7:39 PM (#1031173 - in reply to #1031145)

Okuma parts are some of the hardest to come by and their parts are crazy expensive. They are throw away reels essentially if parts fail. They also use about 13 different length and diameter screws in their reels so they are the least friendly to maintain or repair. Whatever loctite they use in their aluminum frames seems to pull out the threads when you take them apart. They are decent reels until they fail. Once they fail, don’t think about fixing them. The big 3 all have okuma beat for simplicity and maintainability.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)