Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> September Musky Tips?

Message Subject: September Musky Tips?
jakewitt33
Posted 9/9/2024 10:42 PM (#1030723)
Subject: September Musky Tips?

Hello all,

I am a newer musky fisherman and still learning the seasonal ropes. When it comes to this time of year, where should I be focusing my efforts? Surface water temperatures here in northern WI have dropped from 69-70 to 65-66 in the past week. Should I still be working outer weed edges in 11-14 feet of water or should I position my boat near the weed edge and cast shallower? Should I look for other structure than weeds? I've mainly been fishing bucktails and topwater with an occasional glidebait or Medusa.

I guess ultimately I'm just curious the best locations to focus on on the lakes I fish. Usually fishing the darker-colored lakes up here. Depth, weeds, structure, baits, etc...for this time of year heading into fall?
IAJustin
Posted 9/10/2024 6:17 AM (#1030724 - in reply to #1030723)
Subject: Re: September Musky Tips?

It’s a month where you have to stay versatile, what muskie do this time of year is very lake dependent I have found, topwater and bucktails often are the baits of choice wit mid 60’s water temperatures, it’s a time where you shouldn’t overlook very shallow sand and inside weed line’s…. Some fish and definitely some lakes they will push ultra shallow. IMO it’s a good month to fish clear lakes too, personally I don’t care for dark water early fall into fall. Good luck
chuckski
Posted 9/10/2024 8:42 AM (#1030728 - in reply to #1030723)

Fish should be moving shallow in the dark water systems, and later in the clear water systems. People do well on double 8's and surface baits, Wt. Burt, Eddie, Cobb's Crazy Shad, and Jake's have worked well for us.
North of 8
Posted 9/10/2024 9:12 AM (#1030730 - in reply to #1030724)

IAJustin - 9/10/2024 6:17 AM

It’s a month where you have to stay versatile, what muskie do this time of year is very lake dependent I have found, topwater and bucktails often are the baits of choice wit mid 60’s water temperatures, it’s a time where you shouldn’t overlook very shallow sand and inside weed line’s…. Some fish and definitely some lakes they will push ultra shallow. IMO it’s a good month to fish clear lakes too, personally I don’t care for dark water early fall into fall. Good luck

Don't have much experience on clear lakes in Sept. but it certainly is a time where they can be found very shallow on stained water. An extreme example was about 10 years ago, I was volunteering at a boat launch for the Clean Waters program on the first day of the Hodag Musky tournament. Two older gentlemen pulled up to launch their small boat to go pan fishing. One got out and asked why there were so many trailers and cars. I explained that the tournament was happening and just as I said that a mid-thirties fish cruised past at our feet. Water was so shallow part of its back was showing. The guy laughed and said 'looks like they should be up close instead of out there by the rock bar in the middle of the lake'.
Rudedog
Posted 9/10/2024 9:46 AM (#1030731 - in reply to #1030723)
Subject: RE: September Musky Tips?

Mix it up, big warming trends usually don't help. Fish can be very shallow, definitely a move to the weeds from deep water fish. Can be very good, and very tough for days at a time. I've been skunked for long stretches and have had 6 fish evenings also. I know this doesn't help much, but has been the reality for me for 20+ years in Wisco.
chuckski
Posted 9/10/2024 10:52 AM (#1030733 - in reply to #1030723)

September is the mouth for fish moving shallow (really shallow) especially when the water is turning over. That's the good news
the bad news if the water temperature goes up? makes for a long fishless dead day on the water. Then if you get wild temperatures the water can turn over then stratify again then turn. If that happens it could be long week or month of fishing.
Fishing in the fall is far from a sure thing. But I love it.
Rudedog
Posted 9/11/2024 8:09 PM (#1030765 - in reply to #1030731)

Rudedog - 9/10/2024 9:46 AM

Mix it up, big warming trends usually don't help. Fish can be very shallow, definitely a move to the weeds from deep water fish. Can be very good, and very tough for days at a time. I've been skunked for long stretches and have had 6 fish evenings also. I know this doesn't help much, but has been the reality for me for 20+ years in Wisco.

I meant to add....
for baits - Mostly bucktails and top water and covering water over weedbeds and some rock bars for me till early October when everything changes and those lures get pulled out of my arsenal for the post turnover period.
IAJustin
Posted 9/11/2024 10:23 PM (#1030766 - in reply to #1030723)

Most muskie fisherman love to throw topwater and bucktails… put me there too, but you have to read conditions and overcome ..My biggest 2 fish in September over the years, (53 and 52) were both on similar spots, reefs that topped out 12-18 feet with 50’+ of water a cast away…both on sunny “warm” days that were kicking my but,. Bondy and DDD for baits..stay versatile
elsieyoung
Posted 9/11/2024 11:08 PM (#1030767 - in reply to #1030723)

Hey there! With the water temps dropping, I'd suggest focusing on those outer weed edges, but also casting shallower towards the weeds. As fall approaches, muskies will start moving shallower. Keep using bucktails and topwater, but try a slow-moving jerkbait or glidebait too. Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)