Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Suicks v Navins

Message Subject: Suicks v Navins
EsoxWanderer
Posted 7/21/2024 7:45 AM (#1029889)
Subject: Suicks v Navins

My local shop got a shipment of 10” Navins (without weight kits). I’ve been looking for a Suick substitute for fishing over the tops of weeds. I find Suicks take quite a bit of effort to keep from popping out of the water and just don’t always run well (yes I know they are all time great musky lures). Does anyone have any experience throwing 10” Navins and if so do they suspend well, but high enough to fish over weeds? I have another jerkbait in my box that I like (a 8” VM Wedge) but it tends to run quite a bit deeper. The Navins at my shop are priced quite a bit higher than the Suicks so I don’t want to get one if its not going to suit my needs or not going to be much different than the Suick (trying to limit my lure buying and really keep my tackle box to individual tools). Thanks guys,
Masqui-ninja
Posted 7/21/2024 8:33 PM (#1029897 - in reply to #1029889)
Subject: Re: Suicks v Navins

The newer Suicks with the weight kit are really awesome. You can add just a little weight, or a lot.

The Navin unweighted sounds like what you're looking for, though I only have experience with pre-chaos Kodiak Navins.

Having the option to add or subtract weight let's you cover different situations, this is what I would recommend.
chuckski
Posted 7/22/2024 8:46 AM (#1029902 - in reply to #1029889)

Just the old wooden 10" unweighted Suick's will go thru the weeds just fine and if you don't believe me just watch the old In-Fisherman videos with Doug Johnson. I don't have any Navins to compare.
Slamr
Posted 7/22/2024 9:18 AM (#1029903 - in reply to #1029902)

In all honesty, I am a suick guy, always have been. Get one of both. They run differently and fit different situations...differently. Figure out when/where each works best for you!
Grass
Posted 7/22/2024 12:12 PM (#1029906 - in reply to #1029889)

I have a lot of Suicks, but last fall I got a new HI Suick with the weight kit and the action on that bait with one small weight in front is just awesome. I'll be running it a lot this fall.
Emptynet
Posted 7/22/2024 8:08 PM (#1029926 - in reply to #1029889)
Subject: RE: Suicks v Navins

Don't overlook a weighted Bobbie. It'll get fairly deep depending on tail bend and has pretty slow rise. A nice compliment to Suicks with a little different action.
jase2
Posted 7/23/2024 5:26 AM (#1029931 - in reply to #1029889)

Forgive me for hijacking the thread here. I use Suicks and Navins and like them both. However, I also like the T-Bone by Dead head Muskie Tackle. I carry 1 of each (Suick, Navin, T-Bone) each time I go out thinking I will want to throw dive and rise. These baits are handmade with quality finishes and hook hangers are clear through the bait. What I mean is they go through from top to bottom, so there is no way they can pull out. On the down pull you get a shimmy and on the rise they come up about 45 degrees or so with head first. Great baits made by good dudes. Suicks and Navins are great as well.
southern comfort
Posted 7/23/2024 9:17 AM (#1029937 - in reply to #1029889)

The newer Suicks with variable weights give you plenty of options for how deep they run and how long they suspend. The major difference between Suicks and Navins is the wobble that Navins posses when diving/suspending. I use both lures with a lot of success. I would consider the 8" Navin as a good option as well.
K and M tackle
Posted 7/27/2024 7:22 PM (#1030011 - in reply to #1029889)

Don’t count out a Bobbie bait.
happy hooker
Posted 7/28/2024 8:12 PM (#1030022 - in reply to #1030011)

I can't believe nobody mentioned the Dave Dorazio way of rigging suicks!!! This seems like exactly what your looking for., especially the wtd ones
Nobody was a better master of suicks then Dave
Jeremy
Posted 7/30/2024 9:48 AM (#1030032 - in reply to #1030022)

" (trying to limit my lure buying and really keep my tackle box to individual tools). Thanks guys,"... Good luck with that one Esox. Ever since I discovered a "new" love for Suicks a decade back my tackle box(s) have space issues...

It's a sickness that I never suspected would hit me so hard. Enough so that 4 yrs ago I told my family, my best fishing pal and our vacation resort owner that "I'm NEVER going to buy another musky bait!!!" It's the only way I put a stop on picking up more baits!! And now I read about 2 new ones I've not used here...

I'm holding steady after 4 yrs now as my family knows full well I stick to my word!! (long story but it has to do with raising 2 head-strong boys - now in their 40's) and I knew I'd never be able to go back on it! So far so good...I just had to!! Dammit!!! :))
Manta18
Posted 8/16/2024 1:35 PM (#1030320 - in reply to #1029889)

I have never thrown a Navin but I have a box full of Suicks and Bobbie baits. I can make a Suick run shallow as I'd like pretty easy, I have a handful of non weighted ones I use to run over the tops of weeks. Where I really like Suicks and Bobbies (weighted) is over rocks. Smash them into rocks and then let them rise slowly bout half way to the surface and slam em again. Has worked very good for me over the years. I was also told one day out in the boat fishing with DP, "if you put a 10" Suick in front of a musky, the bait is getting hit" But my alltime favorite jerkbait will always be a 9" Bobbie.
chuckski
Posted 8/17/2024 9:26 AM (#1030337 - in reply to #1029889)

Smash a Suick into the rocks ??? I go thru the wood filler. I like my Bobbies too some factory weighted , some home weighted and custom colors and add spinners to the tail.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)