Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> 250 ETEC Starting Battery

Reply New post
Message Subject: 250 ETEC Starting Battery
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/21/2024 4:49 PM (#1030404)
Subject: 250 ETEC Starting Battery

What's your guys' opinion on a dual purpose battery for starting a 250 ETEC?

I've been using an MS1000 marine starting battery from Fleet Farm that has MCA of 1000.

I have a HDS 10 and Helix 9 on the dash and a Helix 10 on the bow. Since my electronics are connected to the starting battery, I was thinking about going to a dual purpose.

The dual purpose I am looking at also has 1000 MCA, so I don't think I am losing any starting power, but am gaining the ability to run the electronics without worrying about the starting battery getting low if I am not running the big motor.

I was thinking about going AGM, but I don't think the onboard Ranger charger in my 2010 Ranger will work with an AGM?

I'm a CPA, not an engineer if anyone has an opinions

Thanks

RyanJoz
Posted 8/22/2024 4:45 AM (#1030406 - in reply to #1030404)
Subject: Re: 250 ETEC Starting Battery

The charger will likely charge an AGM battery, but do you ever get low voltage alarms? Set one first and go from there. I have never run a dual purpose battery and have not had a problem. Batteries will give MCA and capacity. Vmax Tanks, Odyssey, and Interstate AGM get my vote.

I size batteries on actual usage plus 20%. Say your HDS pulls 3 amps and the two helix units 3 each. If you don’t use anything else your amp draw rate is 9 amps. 9 amps x how many hours x 1.2 = 86.4 amp hours (if 8 hours on the lake) is the absolute minimum amp hour battery I would install, but that can be low if you use the livewells, lights, stereo. Live sonar, 360, and that would have to be added to the amp draw. Some people size off recommended fuse size as an extra factor of safety.

If concerned about capacity, get a 31 with 135 amp hour rating and 1000 MCA and be done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)