Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> 2 days left…. Eagle Lake Ontario…. Kicking my butt!

Message Subject: 2 days left…. Eagle Lake Ontario…. Kicking my butt!
VMS
Posted 8/7/2024 5:20 PM (#1030139)
Subject: 2 days left…. Eagle Lake Ontario…. Kicking my butt!

Any thoughts on alternative strategies for Eagle lake? Classic spots are barren of fish, even under ideal conditions. Have moved off the edge, in the weeds, transitions, saddles, rocks, sand…. Nothing….

I’ve seen very few fish and the ones seen are mid 30s or smaller…. It’s good I’m short on hair…. Nothing to rip out.

Fast, slow, twitch, crank, rip,…. Big, small, in between…. I’m dumbfounded at this point..

Thanks…
North of 8
Posted 8/7/2024 6:10 PM (#1030142 - in reply to #1030139)
Subject: Re: 2 days left…. Eagle Lake Ontario…. Kicking my butt!

Don't know the weather there, but back on July 26, went out with a guide on a very windy day. 90% of our time we hit wind blown reefs, islands, saddles, rock points. I got a 45 and a 48. Guide and I both had follows from good fish and I had a smaller fish swing and miss on a bucktail. The first two spots, where he moved a good fish and I caught the 45 were rock ridges/reefs where there was 15-18 feet of water to the sides and only 6-7 feet on top. But again, that was the pattern he liked in wind. The evening before one of the guys I was with had a mid 40s fish grab and hang on to a hooked walleye for a long time. That was on a 15 foot hump that had a lot of walleyes when we pulled up on it. We could see it for 4 or 5 minutes but he could not get it close enough to surface to net with the walleye net.
Pete H
Posted 8/7/2024 6:48 PM (#1030144 - in reply to #1030139)
Subject: RE: 2 days left…. Eagle Lake Ontario…. Kicking my butt!

Saw Musky 360 has a Canadian report podcast featuring Steve and Danny Herbeck. It was posted 5 days ago. They talk about what’s working for them on Eagle while Steven Paul talks about what he’s seeing out on Wabigoon. Steve was talking about burning smaller blades

Edited by Pete H 8/7/2024 6:49 PM
Clark A
Posted 8/7/2024 11:30 PM (#1030147 - in reply to #1030139)

My expectations in Canada are about equal to my delusional Northern Wisconsin expectations 40 years ago. Yes there are more fish and bigger fish, but they still are muskies. If anyone has the answer, they are not going to share it. An Eagle Lake guide technique "rumor" is to use a small walleye on a quick strike rig, but that sounds illegal.
phselect
Posted 8/8/2024 5:43 AM (#1030149 - in reply to #1030139)

What are you seeing for water temps? Maybe try deeper reefs? Am there later this month.

Edited by phselect 8/8/2024 5:55 AM
R/T
Posted 8/8/2024 7:24 AM (#1030150 - in reply to #1030139)

VMS, sounds like my trips there in the '90s. However, during one of Eagle's butt kickings of me another guy staying at the same lodge dragged in a 54", 45lber. It was laying in the boat house one day when I came in. He was trolling a Depth Raider is all I know. Other than that, maybe try making a run to a completely different section of the lake. Good luck. Hopefully things turn on a dime for you.

Edited by R/T 8/8/2024 7:26 AM
chuckski
Posted 8/8/2024 8:05 AM (#1030151 - in reply to #1030139)

I have not been to Ontario in 20 years, one trip to Lake Of The Woods in 1993, and trips to Minaki 2000-2004. I hear great things of Eagle. I never been to Ontario and not got a Muskie of a least 30" however my largest Canadian Muskie? 39 1/2 inches. My dad joined the 40 pound club. A couple years we fished out of two boats dad in his big boat me in a rental. In the rental we would fish wind blown shore lines or fish reefs (just find the buoy's) My dad after reading my copy of DickP's Muskies On The Shield beefed up his trolling motor batteries from a 12 volt to 24 and got a stronger motor and would just point the nose of the boat into the wind and follow the shoreline or go around the islands. when it was my turn to fish with dad I netted a lot of fish fishing behind him. Dad was dialed in but there was nothing for my mom and sister to do, so we stopped going. My dad, our friend John, my nephew Jon all got there PB's in Canada. Me? I caught my PB in the middle of the Twin Cities on a one day Muskie INC trip go figure. Fishing can be fast up there but not all the time, we seen some true monsters and it's a good place to catch Walleyes for dinner. Let's face it Muskies can be Muskies.
Angling Oracle
Posted 8/8/2024 4:07 PM (#1030161 - in reply to #1030142)

North of 8 - 8/7/2024 6:10 PM

Don't know the weather there, but back on July 26, went out with a guide on a very windy day. 90% of our time we hit wind blown reefs, islands, saddles, rock points. I got a 45 and a 48. Guide and I both had follows from good fish and I had a smaller fish swing and miss on a bucktail. The first two spots, where he moved a good fish and I caught the 45 were rock ridges/reefs where there was 15-18 feet of water to the sides and only 6-7 feet on top. But again, that was the pattern he liked in wind. The evening before one of the guys I was with had a mid 40s fish grab and hang on to a hooked walleye for a long time. That was on a 15 foot hump that had a lot of walleyes when we pulled up on it. We could see it for 4 or 5 minutes but he could not get it close enough to surface to net with the walleye net.

^^ Emulate this.

Muskies visit these types of spots all the time, wind or not - wind or weather change, dusk/dawn as per anywhere are best bite windows.

Pick an area and work it hard rather than running around - an island cluster with some reefs nearby and associated to deep water. Muskies will be there, up to you to get them to bite/show. More gunning, less running.

Edited by Angling Oracle 8/8/2024 5:21 PM
FishHateMe
Posted 8/8/2024 5:14 PM (#1030163 - in reply to #1030139)

VMS - Check your PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)