Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why we musky fish?

Message Subject: Why we musky fish?
Angling Oracle
Posted 6/9/2024 10:08 AM (#1029002)
Subject: Why we musky fish?

Consider the happiest fishing, hunting, foraging and outdoor moments you have had in your life.

They probably are not shooting or catching, shooting the biggest, most, getting you limit, etc - certainly won't be related to the critters themselves even if it is a personal best or a real trophy, but the journey to get there, who you were with and how it was accomplished.

Your greatest "happiness" is inevitably going to be edaimonic and not hedonistic.

I am not going to put links on what the differences are, but you already know what hedonism is in musky fishing: "Look at what I got!" We all go through stages of hedonism in fishing and hunting pursuits (most, biggest, bigger and more than the other guy, affirmation from others). It is difficult to free yourself from it. As you mature as a hunter or fisher you go through stages, and hopefully you free yourself from it, as you will find it is not the most rewarding approach.

If you don't know what eudaimonism is, then look it up. For musky anglers, it describes those great moments that you vividly remember - probably an awesome trip with good friends or family when someone else got a big fish after some really difficult struggles and hard work. In most outdoor pursuits it is accomplishing something with a lot of effort and sometimes pain, but the reward is far greater than the hedonistic one that comes easy.

When we talk about "ethics" and musky fishing and the Muskies Inc statement on Forward Facing Sonar (FFS) and sharpshooting, I believe that it is asking everyone to choose the eudamonistic (hard working) approach rather than the hedonistic (quick hit of pleasure) approach.

Musky anglers are not odd-balls of the fishing community or narcissists, we crave the eudmonistic reward.

This is why we musky fish.

Edited by Angling Oracle 6/9/2024 10:14 AM
sworrall
Posted 6/9/2024 10:39 AM (#1029003 - in reply to #1029002)
Subject: Re: Why we musky fish?

Agreed. Thankfully there are taxidermists like Lax Reproductions to help us remember the stories with accurate reproductions.

As most here know I have a tendency to stir things up now and again looking for discussion and debate. Overall, the majority agreed with you.
chuckski
Posted 6/9/2024 12:02 PM (#1029004 - in reply to #1029002)

It's the sights and sounds of being on the water or walking in the woods, the places we have visited with family and friends and as time goes on a lot of them are long gone. (both people and places) The sounds of old time prop places landing in Rhinelander, Cold Wisconsin Beer, old resorts and bars, places to eat, sneaking off to off beat places to fish where you don't see a soul. Driving across the country heading north and thinking what song's were playing on the radio and in witch year. And what type of lures hanging on the pegs at what tackle shops. My mom just turned 90 and we had some family over and my nephew started talking of the old days up north and some things I've forgot about. I remember rowing the boat across the lake to shoot pool and get a pop and have the resort people make me a Tombstone Pizza, but I guess I rowed my nephew across the Lake after dark to do the same. I don't remember that. There was Beer involved too. I was in on the 18 year drinking law back then. (I was under the impression I was the last of that, but I was wrong they changed that in 1987ish) And of course Muskie Fever has taken a hold on us. Ya we caught some big fish and it's when, where the next trip to look forward to. And nothing is more relaxing then casting a lure and bringing it in. Today I found a couple old photo albums of my grandparents with pictures of some of my first Muskies (different poses then with my camera) I was dusting some book shelfs and bingo I hit paydirt.
mikie
Posted 6/9/2024 1:52 PM (#1029006 - in reply to #1029002)

"Hey, buddy, that's a pretty big bait, what are you fishin for?"

"To get out of the house, mostly!" m
Ranger
Posted 6/9/2024 5:51 PM (#1029013 - in reply to #1029003)

sworrall - 6/9/2024 11:39 AM

Agreed. Thankfully there are taxidermists like Lax Reproductions to help us remember the stories with accurate reproductions.

As most here know I have a tendency to stir things up now and again looking for discussion and debate. Overall, the majority agreed with you.

Yep. And I'm your hit man. One of them anyway. You and I share a lot of deeply held beliefs. I can quickly recognize what you might disagree with and I slap them ****ers silly. My pleasure.

I owe you that loyalty for your support thu my bad times. And getting to chill in the Hideout. And all the value I've gained by being around on M1.

Edited by Ranger 6/9/2024 5:56 PM
mikie
Posted 6/10/2024 8:23 AM (#1029019 - in reply to #1029002)

"Ya havin any luck today?"

"Well, so far, I got outta the house before the wife got up!" m
gimruis
Posted 6/10/2024 8:42 AM (#1029021 - in reply to #1029002)

I muskie fish for the challenge. Its difficult from a mental and physical stand point. I consider my season a success if I am able to put any in the boat.

There's something very raw and primal about claiming a successful status point over a muskie. I feel like they are the apex predator in freshwater and when I am able to catch one, I've won. I liken it to bear or wolf hunting.
bloatlord
Posted 6/10/2024 9:22 AM (#1029022 - in reply to #1029002)

A deep insecurity that I seek to overcome by filling with one of the most difficult freshwater predators to catch.
vegas492
Posted 6/10/2024 9:49 AM (#1029024 - in reply to #1029002)

My favorite days on the water all include taking pictures of big fish caught by friends and family. I always try to get a release picture and that is the picture that people who caught the fish just love.

One of my favorite pictures is of my wife, just while she was casting. She was soooo into it. Just at the ready. And it all shows up in the picture, despite a fish not even being seen that afternoon.

There is something magical about watching a musky leave the boatside. Either the big violent splash as they take off, of the subtle tail kick that sends them below the surface and out of site.
IAJustin
Posted 6/11/2024 4:50 PM (#1029056 - in reply to #1029002)

I’m actually finding muskie fishing is becoming too easy, that’s why I tell everyone that’ll listen to go buy FFS.. go do some sharp shooting……ya I’ll never use it but if we get the word to everyone else out to use FFS, maybe It will get challenging enough to enjoy it again?

Edited by IAJustin 6/11/2024 4:52 PM
CincySkeez
Posted 6/11/2024 6:23 PM (#1029060 - in reply to #1029056)

Because one time I was incredibly baked on a Menominee river tributary and accidentally caught one on a Daredevil. Then met a bunch of good people who.also didn't think that was a bad idea.
Matt DeVos
Posted 6/11/2024 10:00 PM (#1029065 - in reply to #1029056)

IAJustin - 6/11/2024 4:50 PM

I’m actually finding muskie fishing is becoming too easy

Hey man, I know you're a heckuva a good angler. But "too easy", huh? Congrats on being the GOAT!
IAJustin
Posted 6/11/2024 10:37 PM (#1029066 - in reply to #1029065)

Ha Matt!!, just a little tongue in cheek, let’s make sure muskie fishing is hard… just not too hard… and that level differs for everyone
Matt DeVos
Posted 6/11/2024 11:38 PM (#1029067 - in reply to #1029066)

IAJustin - 6/11/2024 10:37 PM

Ha Matt!!, just a little tongue in cheek, let’s make sure muskie fishing is hard… just not too hard… and that level differs for everyone

Lol, all good man! I hear ya! I've got my handful of spots on LOTW where I take my kids for smallies, walleyes, etc., where I can certainly say that the "too easy" phrase has been said in my boat. But while I've had my fair share of good days, I'm not sure that same phrase has uttered while muskie fishing! Best and good luck to you this year dude!
Ranger
Posted 6/13/2024 8:25 PM (#1029110 - in reply to #1029002)

I fished muskies because they were the hardest to figure out. Gained so much respect for the fish I don't want to hook/harm them anymore. Never got my 50.
chuckski
Posted 6/14/2024 8:38 AM (#1029112 - in reply to #1029002)

In the early 70's my grandpa died and my dad brought home from Wisconsin a mount of a 32+ pound muskie and head (mounted) of a 20 pound Muskie witch my dad caught as a teenager in Wisconsin. At the same time my grandma and grandpa (my dad's step dad) bought a retirement home on the lake where those fish came from. The next summer we made the trip and while we were there a family friend hooked a good sized Muskie on light tackle and it broke off. My dad and the man who lost the Muskie went out trying to catch another one and was in the middle on the oars. The Muskie kept rolling on the surface trying to get rid of the lure. Then later dad got the lure back after the fish was able to get rid of it and it got caught on my dads lure. On the same trip I got tangled up with a 22"-24" Northern on a cane pole and it got away and I cried. Four years later I started spending summers on the Lake and caught 22" 1/2 Northern on a Bobbiebait and I was hooked. Lures and lures, books, VHS tapes, In-Fisherman things were never the same.
Guzzler
Posted 6/14/2024 12:55 PM (#1029118 - in reply to #1029002)
Subject: RE: Why we musky fish?

This is a good question! It got in my blood when I was like 11 or 12 when I would go up north to Eagle River and Minocqua with my family on vacations. You would see mounted muskies everywhere in restaurants, bars, grocery stores, bait stores. You name it - every place marketed the muskie! And they sold me! The history! The lore! The old famous guides. Barefoot guides. Guides that would shoot them. Reading about Tony Rizzo. I could not get enough. I caught my first one when I was 13. I still remember that fish and nowadays if I saw it follow, I would surely pull the bait away as I would not want to even handle it. It was only 32.5" and back then I kept and mounted it. Not a big fish by any means. But the adrenaline rush was real! Many years later after I caught muskie number 1, I am now 59 years old with years of muskie memories and lots of good fish caught. Many trips to Canada, Minnesota, and Wisconsin were all well-worth the thousands of dollars spent on memories with my brothers and great friends! It has been a terrific run. Now as I sit at my desk eating lunch, my next Canada trip is coming up in 20 days. And I feel like a youngster anticipating the opening day of a first deer hunt. The planning of meals, figuring out what to pack, what gear I need vs what my boat partner is bringing, what spot to fish first, what lure to throw, and on and on and on it goes.... I love the planning and anticipation. I love our small contest where we throw $25.00 in per fisherman and the winner gets the pot. This year the winner will only get $200.00 as we only have 8 guys for this trip. But I love the competition and I want to win it! I can't wait until we are fishing the night of July 4th after we arrive - even just the few hours to get in the first magic hour. We have been going for 25 years to the same resort and I hope I can muskie fish as long as my body allows me to. If I can, I want to do it until the year I pass away. Lord willing, I will certainly try to do that! No other fish gives you the anticipation, adrenaline rush, and feeling of accomplishment as the muskie does. Success does feel good after the hard work! I guess that is what it is about for me! Oh... and A cold Labbatts Blue after the muskie hunt does help make it that much better! if you don't catch any for the day, I guess sometimes it's just about the beer! Cause the comeraderie and laughs are also part of muskie fishing to me! Only 20 days to go! I cannot wait! God bless!
Slopski
Posted 6/14/2024 2:09 PM (#1029119 - in reply to #1029118)

Seeing large fish move really fast in shallow water. Preferably after my bait! Never gets old.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)