Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Booyah Pikee Spinnerbaits

Message Subject: Booyah Pikee Spinnerbaits
Muskie101
Posted 6/8/2024 6:00 AM (#1028963)
Subject: Booyah Pikee Spinnerbaits

I have used the booyah pikee spinnerbaits with decent success though i have noticed every so often the leader will get tangled up and was wondering if using higher end leaders like from stealth tackle would solve this or if there was another trick
chuckski
Posted 6/8/2024 7:51 AM (#1028967 - in reply to #1028963)
Subject: Re: Booyah Pikee Spinnerbaits

I've never had a issue I use solid wire leader.
Muskie101
Posted 6/8/2024 8:55 AM (#1028973 - in reply to #1028967)

chuckski - 6/8/2024 8:51 AM

I've never had a issue I use solid wire leader.

For me Every so often the swivel and end of the leader will wrap around the bait
chuckski
Posted 6/8/2024 9:29 AM (#1028976 - in reply to #1028963)

Maybe I'm lucky (I throw a lot of full sized Muskie spinnerbaits along with Bass sized ones)
7.62xJay
Posted 6/8/2024 9:49 AM (#1028980 - in reply to #1028963)

Paperclip style spinner bait leader fowling I just accepted as a fact of life haha. I haven't tried throwing em with straight wire though so maybe chuck is onto something, leader isn't flexible so it can't bend and fowl would seem to make sense. Chuck, I assume there's still a swivel in the system though?
The other bit 101 is alot of it is how you cast, if I get lazy or tired and I'm fouling MUCH more. The cast needs to be smooth so everything stays in a straight line through the air, than you need to stop the bait in the air so everything is straightened out before just before it lands.
Muskie101
Posted 6/8/2024 9:54 AM (#1028982 - in reply to #1028980)

7.62xJay - 6/8/2024 10:49 AM

Paperclip style spinner bait leader fowling I just accepted as a fact of life haha. I haven't tried throwing em with straight wire though so maybe chuck is onto something, leader isn't flexible so it can't bend and fowl would seem to make sense. Chuck, I assume there's still a swivel in the system though?
The other bit 101 is alot of it is how you cast, if I get lazy or tired and I'm fouling MUCH more. The cast needs to be smooth so everything stays in a straight line through the air, than you need to stop the bait in the air so everything is straightened out before just before it lands.

So side cast or overhand cast
I did start to notice yesterday if my line went through a floating weed that it looked like the slowdown would cause it too
7.62xJay
Posted 6/8/2024 10:50 AM (#1028986 - in reply to #1028963)

Overhand. But not lobbing mortars.
chuckski
Posted 6/8/2024 12:25 PM (#1028990 - in reply to #1028963)

The way to cast is overhead! PERIED If you cast side arm your looking for nothing but trouble. The spinnerbait does act like a keel to a point but no reason to go without a swivel.
kdawg
Posted 6/8/2024 5:58 PM (#1028996 - in reply to #1028990)

Just ordered a few more of these from bps. Caught a lot of pike on these including some big ones. They are built well and your able to catch a number of fish on them before the wire wears out, unlike other spinnerbaits where one fish could destroy the bait. Back to your original question. Not that I would recommend it, but I've never had a pike or musky bite off a spinnerbait on me. Apparently the wire of the spinnerbait itself acts as the leader and does the job for me. I guess I've just been lucky. Kdawg
jdsplasher
Posted 6/8/2024 10:28 PM (#1028998 - in reply to #1028996)

Jay ; I believe hit the nail on the head. It’s really about controlling the cast. Forget the bomb cast with spinnerbaits. Especially tandems where blades flop around. More a controlled line drive, then slight thumb when bait enters the water. Shorter cast allow you to control, and stay in tune with what the bait is doing!  
JD 
RikkiTikkii
Posted 6/9/2024 4:44 AM (#1029000 - in reply to #1028963)

I will echo what others have said about smooth cast and thumb towards the end of a cast to ensure it lands properly aligned.

As far as using a leader I would not go without one unless I was purposefully targeting bass. Even then I would use 15-30lb flouro to increase my chances. It is important to remember that pike and musky often will miss or slightly miss the lure they are trying to eat. You should not assume you will not get bit off because they bite the skirt part of a spinnerbait. Additionally, it goes without saying that the bigger the fish (bigger mouth) the higher chance of getting bit off with no leader.

Source: I have been bit off….
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)