Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Upper st croix river

Message Subject: Upper st croix river
Ogandrews
Posted 5/19/2022 11:18 AM (#1006456)
Subject: Upper st croix river

I’m planning on trying to fish the st croix some this year for musky. More interested in the river above Taylor’s falls than the stuff closer to the cities. It looks like it is quite shallow and fast the further north you go. Not asking for any spots but more wanting to know about how the population of fish is in the upper section of the river as well as how it is to navigate. For small rivers I have a little 14ft Lund with a short shank motor on it so I can get through really skinny stuff, and with it being an old boat I really don’t care about beating it up. Spent a lot of time on the Mississippi with it and with the 24v terrova I have on it I haven’t been in any current that the trolling motor can’t handle. Been looking generally around the pine city area but would like advice from anyone that has fished any of the river
YakMuskySR
Posted 5/19/2022 8:41 PM (#1006473 - in reply to #1006456)
Subject: RE: Upper st croix river

I don't have much input to offer about the musky population in that stretch of the river. However, the water is pretty shallow and fast there. I just had my first trip to that stretch of river over the MN fishing opener. We fished around Danbury, Wisconsin for smallmouth bass. Buddy I was fishing with did claim he had a follow from a smaller musky (~25 inches). I would imagine it would be tricky to navigate an outboard in lower water, as there are some classic riffle, run, pool scenarios there. Also lots of islands in that stretch. You may have to hop out and pull your boat upstream in some areas.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)