Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Melton Hill lodging and fishing advise

Message Subject: Melton Hill lodging and fishing advise
Hoffy
Posted 8/29/2017 8:49 PM (#876027)
Subject: Melton Hill lodging and fishing advise

Looking to plan a trip the first part of October with my son. Would like to get advise on lodging close or within a reasonable distance to the lake. Wanting a place where I can charge the batteries overnight and a safe place to keep the boat. Would be interested in a home, condo or hotel.

Would also like to get advise on fishing Melton Hill that time of year. Good or bad time of the year? Would also consider Cabe Run

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Hoffy 8/29/2017 8:51 PM
Abu7000
Posted 8/29/2017 9:10 PM (#876029 - in reply to #876027)
Subject: RE: Melton Hill lodging and fishing advise

Holiday INN on Illinois Street...close to lake ...safe...plug ins

I lived in oak ridge and fished MMelton Hill quite a bit...PM me
true tiger tamer
Posted 8/30/2017 12:35 PM (#876093 - in reply to #876027)
Subject: Re: Melton Hill lodging and fishing advise

Be careful where you launch at Melton Hill and leave your valuables at your hotel as vehicles are regularly broken into at the trailer parking spots. I had my license plate stolen off my car at the Bull Run steam plant parking area and friends vehicles have been broken into at the launch off the main highway (sorry can't remember the name). When the water starts cooling down the muskie fishing improves. Good luck, the lake has some real giants in it.
dougj
Posted 8/31/2017 7:58 PM (#876262 - in reply to #876027)

In case you don't want to launch every day and leave your truck and trailer, Here's a nice marina on Melton Hill that will take good care of you.

http://www.tennesseelakeinfo.com/meltonhilllake/Melton-Hill-Marina
twelts
Posted 9/1/2017 3:07 PM (#876324 - in reply to #876262)

IMO best place to launch is at the public park (Melton Lake Drive) where the rowing team works out, it is just west of steam plant. Lot of people use park all hours with lots of foot traffic.

Edited by twelts 9/1/2017 3:11 PM
UPMuskyr
Posted 9/2/2017 2:46 PM (#876396 - in reply to #876027)

Is there any Muskie Inc. members or Muskie nuts that own motels or lodging or resturants near...would like to plan a trip early next spring and would like to do business with like minded muskie people
Barenda
Posted 4/17/2022 8:29 PM (#1004528 - in reply to #876027)

@top water line I would like to get off Loudoun and start doing some crappie fishing on Melton Hill. Can anyone give me some advice on where to start? Is anyone currently catching any crappie on the lake? I would like to fish the lower end from the dam up to carbide park. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Barenda 4/17/2022 8:30 PM
wisriverrat
Posted 4/17/2022 9:31 PM (#1004531 - in reply to #1004528)

I stayed in Oak Ridge did a air b&b and hired Cory Allen for three days
RJ_692
Posted 4/19/2022 7:32 AM (#1004595 - in reply to #876027)

Have they shut down the steam plant yet? It'll be interesting how reducing the warm water discharge will affect this fishery as a whole. I would imagine is would have to affect growth rates?
miket55
Posted 4/19/2022 9:41 AM (#1004610 - in reply to #876027)

The ramps at Clark Center Park (open 5AM-10PM), the rowing center, and Melton Hill Campground (at the dam), are the most secure IMO.
No need to worry about water temperatures, as TVA will have been running 40 degree water out of Norris Lake for a month or more by the time you get there.. The only time one has to worry about water levels on Melton Hill is when they draw it down for a couple of weeks in late March/early April, rendering a lot of the boat ramps unusable.
The steam plant shuts down next year.
The marina website is down, but I'm pretty sure they're still in business.
The last I heard Cory moved back to Illinois, but Steven Paul guides there, and other somewhat nearby waters.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)