Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Gold Eyed Muskies?

Message Subject: Gold Eyed Muskies?
CiscoKid
Posted 1/26/2004 12:05 PM (#94877)
Subject: Gold Eyed Muskies?

In a way this may pertain to all the color topics out there, but I didn't want this post to get lost amongst the other posts in the other threads if you know what I mean.

Anyway, this is something that has been baffling me for a couple of years now. I have caught a few muskies that have either 1, or both eyes completely gold in color. This includes the pupil! All the fish I have caught have come from two different lakes, but the lakes are very close in characteristics. These are very clear, cisco based lakes with deep water.

After reading the link below, I am very intrigued with the yellow cornea that muskies have.

http://www.schools.net.au/edu/lesson_ideas/optics/optics_wksht4_p1....

Do muskies have the ability to migrate the yellow corneal pigment in and out of the corneal cells to adjust to the photic conditions? Is the reason the fish I have caught with the "gold" eye because the eye just hasn't adjusted back to it's "normal" state?

It's interesting to note that all the fish but one I got with the "gold" eye were caught on overcast days, and the other one was on a sunny day late in the afternoon.

The gold eye I have seen is very similar to an eye of a musky in some photographs. If you were to look at some pics I'm sure you would see it. Instead of red eyes like we get sometimes, the musky has a gold eye. However, I see the gold eye before we even take the picture.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomina?
muskyshakes
Posted 1/29/2004 5:20 AM (#95278 - in reply to #94877)
Subject: RE: Gliders

Last year in the Hoosier Classic tournament, my brother caught a 48" with a gold eye. This fish also had a strange story behind it. It was overcast and the winds died to caln for a very short period of time. During that time is when this fish followed my jackpot to the boat. I have never had a musky stay on a submerged (surface lure) figure, but this one did and for awhile. The fish snapped at the lure twice, then as I was bringing the lure back from left to right I noticed the fish's eye was yellow/gold. While I noticed the fish's eye, the fish notice my brother's jerkbait that just reached boatside. The fish sped over and smoked his lure. This made me wonder if the fish was blind in the yellow/gold eye. I did all the work and my brother had all the fun.

The Musky Shakes-Mark
MuskieMedic
Posted 2/4/2004 5:43 AM (#95863 - in reply to #94877)
Subject: RE: Gold Eyed Muskies?

Very interesting topic. I can say what you are seeing is not the cornea of the eye but the iris itself, I would imagine if there is no visible pupil the fish is probably blind in that eye. The condition in humans with two different colored iris's is called Heterochromia Iridis. Two different sized pupils is called Anisicoria which is actually normal in some people.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)