Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> swimbaits... and other underused tactics for musky?

Message Subject: swimbaits... and other underused tactics for musky?
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 9/7/2021 9:48 AM (#988664)
Subject: swimbaits... and other underused tactics for musky?

I know there's a lot of underutilized tactics in the sport of musky fishing, one of those being jointed hard swimbaits. Anyway, what's your favorite underutilized tactic for muskies?
RyanJoz
Posted 9/7/2021 10:00 AM (#988666 - in reply to #988664)
Subject: Re: swimbaits... and other underused tactics for musky?

Hard swim baits get used a lot here. Bikini baits “sure thing” gets several every season. Shadillac gets bit a lot as well
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 9/7/2021 11:57 AM (#988668 - in reply to #988666)

I think about picking up of those shadilacs almost every time I order new baits, although, I'm not sure whether the tigers would like the size of em. As for those bikini baits, is that company still around and in production?
RJ_692
Posted 9/8/2021 9:35 AM (#988708 - in reply to #988664)

i still think swim jigs are most underutilized. they just flat catch everything and can be fished in any condition. just not a lot of sexy in one
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 9/8/2021 12:44 PM (#988711 - in reply to #988708)

Do you use swimjigs as a search bait or just a throwback bait, I throw a esox cobra magnum around, quite a bit, with a 6" shaker on the back. Never had much action off that though.
Landry
Posted 9/8/2021 8:16 PM (#988722 - in reply to #988664)

Swimjigs are great search baits around weed cover. Muskie love em
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 9/9/2021 6:54 AM (#988733 - in reply to #988722)

You like bass jigs or stuff like the esox cobra mag? I've tried the latter, never moved a fish on it or even had bass chase it lol. Maybe I should try some bass jigs.
RJ_692
Posted 9/10/2021 2:33 PM (#989767 - in reply to #988711)

Pa Tigers n trout - 9/8/2021 12:44 PM

Do you use swimjigs as a search bait or just a throwback bait, I throw a esox cobra magnum around, quite a bit, with a 6" shaker on the back. Never had much action off that though.

So here is what i do. Cast, let sink to bottom, retrieve. Nothing too fancy on a retrieve. just kind of reel them in keeping them moving, might hop it a bit, or pause, or drop it back to bottom along the way if its a long cast. I have caught lots of fish of all species doing this in and around weeds. If i am poking around a new lake its #1 out of my box.

I use a light wire leader that i tie myself, and prefer to throw on 20 or 25 lb flouro

Ill try to remember to add a picture but i make my own. 1/2 oz head, skirt, paddle tail or swim bait of some sort
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 9/11/2021 8:35 PM (#989791 - in reply to #989767)

I'll try it out this winter while I'm soaking dead baits, for sure! Do you throw your jigs on an average bass outfit, what kinda rod and reel? Wondering cuz I'm planning on picking up a high end bass casting setup, eventually. Planning on using it for small bait muskies more than bass lol.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)