Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How to Make Flurocarbon Trolling Leaders -- Help!!

Message Subject: How to Make Flurocarbon Trolling Leaders -- Help!!
SteveHulbert
Posted 1/12/2004 11:40 AM (#93267)
Subject: How to Make Flurocarbon Trolling Leaders -- Help!!

I want to make my own trolling leaders.....out of Flurocarbon.  I have no leader making experience or tools at home.  No one seems to sell any that are worth a dang, and I need many different sizes.  So, I thought I'd begin to make my own.

Can anyone tell me what kind of Flurocarbon they use (name brand and strength)?  What brand and where do I buy crimps and crimpers?? 

Also, I'm looking to find some clevises, or thimbles as some of you call them.  It's the metal sheath that you use to protect the fluro-loop where the snap goes.  Can anyone help me here??

Finally, what kind of snaps and swivels do you use??

I know that's a lot of info, but if any of you leader makers can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. 

RK
Posted 1/12/2004 11:49 AM (#93272 - in reply to #93267)
Subject: RE: How to Make Flurocarbon Trolling Leaders -- Help!!

Heya,
See if you can track down Any Moraller. He makes the leaders Marc Thorpe uses up on the Ottawa, and he knows about as much about the ins and outs of making them as anyone...

RK
slimm
Posted 1/12/2004 12:10 PM (#93281 - in reply to #93267)

Steve, IMO you should start looking at saltwater fishing boards for the best tips about fluro. Seaguar is usually the brand that is most popular I would not use anything less that 50lb as a leader.

Edited by slimm 1/12/2004 12:12 PM
tuffy1
Posted 1/12/2004 12:16 PM (#93284 - in reply to #93267)

I have been using the Stren flouro in 80LB so far with no problems. Mainly due to the fact that that's all I could get at the time. I know that the Seagar Flouro is good and widely used as well.
As far as crimps, I don't use them at all. I tie them with a uniknot, and then put some super glue on for added strength. It can be a little tough to tie at first, but you get used to it after a while. I have been using Berkly snaps and swivels, but I know that the Extreme One uses others that are pretty cool looking. Not sure of the name though.
Hope this gets you started,
Good Lungen,
Joel

Posted 1/12/2004 2:29 PM (#93305 - in reply to #93284)

Check out Larry Jones site at : http://www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm

Post your question again or search. Larry has used these type of leaders for years without problem. Good luck
Steve Jonesi
Posted 1/12/2004 2:38 PM (#93306 - in reply to #93267)

Both Cabelas and Bass Pro Saltwater catalogs carry the necessary components and tools, including the thimbles.I use Climax (made by Cortland I believe) in 100 lb. test.It's all good. Steve
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/12/2004 5:20 PM (#93313 - in reply to #93267)

Steve, good to see you at the swap this weekend. Good luck with the new lifestyle after the surgery as well. It's already paying off.

I make fluorocarbon leaders out of 80# Seagar. Check out www.leadertech.com. They've got the best selection and prices of components around that I've found. It takes a while to get an order, but it does come. The crimping pliers is probably the most expensive piece of equipment at around $25 for a good one. I got mine at Thornes and it's worked very well. Don't cheap out there, you'll pay in the end. Also get the double barrel crimps, the singles fail more often and the cost difference is a couple cents.

If you want I can make you some in trade or for purchase. Let me know

kevin
Posted 1/12/2004 6:05 PM (#93323 - in reply to #93267)

If you want a Cabelas or BPS Saltwater catalog now is the time to get it. If you wait until april the catalogs may be gone as I found out last year.
muskiewhisperer
Posted 1/12/2004 7:15 PM (#93330 - in reply to #93267)

I'd second the uni knot/superglue recommendation. Might also coat the knot with rubber cement for extra security, with the added benefit of smoothing out rough edges.

Good luck...
ToddM
Posted 1/12/2004 8:27 PM (#93336 - in reply to #93267)

I use 80lb seaguar too. I really like it. I use a sampo crosslock snap or the stay lock snap. I use a ball bearing swivel as well. I tie them and put a drop of superlglue on the knot. If you crimp them, most crimps(just make sure they are the right size) and crimping pliers will work. I just made sure I did not crimp down on the ends of the crimp so it would not dig into the flouro.

Steve, if you want, e-mail me your addy and I will send you one.

Edited by ToddM 1/12/2004 8:29 PM

Posted 1/13/2004 3:41 PM (#93396 - in reply to #93336)

I make mine using the same system ToddM uses, almost exactly. The super glue is a must.
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/13/2004 4:28 PM (#93413 - in reply to #93267)

I also super glue my crimps.
lobi
Posted 1/13/2004 9:09 PM (#93442 - in reply to #93267)

I have been using the cheap crimps from BPS and 80 lb mono. We have had NO failures to date. The crimps I bought would not fit the 80lb mono doubled back thru until I squeeze them oblong, the fit is that tight before crimping them. I have just been crimping them with a pair of pliers (hard) and also not crimping too close to the ends of the crimp sleeve. You can spend what you saved on crimping pliers by getting the Sampos. The snap will be your weakest link, don't cheap out there.
gcrandall
Posted 1/14/2004 11:33 AM (#93507 - in reply to #93267)

Come to the Muskie School on March 6th in Waunakee and you will be able to see first hand, how to make Flurocarbon as well as steel (Single and stranded) leaders. We have an instructor who is really good at making FL leaders. He is going to have a workshop on this, will have tools, hardware and will demonstrate how he makes them and and will help students to make their own.

For information on this check out:

http://www.muskie411.com/clubforums/User_files/3ffa35e615de0a55.htm...

Posted 1/14/2004 2:10 PM (#93562 - in reply to #93267)

Seaguard is good, but my humble opinion is that 80 lb. is too light. I'm witness to the fact that it can be bitten off - and bitten off rather easily. Probably won't be cut by a little guy either. Save yourself from eventual despair by going heavier and know that the guys that say "I've had no problems w/ 80 lb..." are on borrowed time. Personally, I think trolling is the safest use of floro, where the big body baits tend to get t-boned rather than engulfed. Even with my reservations, I'm giving Floro another chance w/ 130 lb. test, which I used last year without incident. Too light? Time will tell.

Do you really need the swivels? Is the bait rolling or something? If no roll, why the swivels? Seems stealth is the goal of using floro, and big swivels don't seem to fit in that equation. I've been tying my doubled line directly to the floro loop on one end and use a solid ring through the loop on the other end (have Bucher split rings on every lure). The solid ring is thick and I have not seen problems with damage to the floro material, even throwing large Bulldawgs all day.

I use thick-walled salt water crimping sleeves found in BPS catalogue. I only lightly crimp because the both ends of my floro are melted into a mushroom shape by touching them momentarily over a hot stove. Then the sleeved is cinched down to the mushroomed end and crimped very lightly (avoids damage to the floro). No way that thick mushroom head will ever be pulled through that sleeve. No glue needed either.

Just some things to consider.

BrianF.
Twin Cities
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)