Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> PIT Tag Reader

Message Subject: PIT Tag Reader
MuskyMaciek
Posted 6/9/2021 10:12 AM (#980500)
Subject: PIT Tag Reader

Does anyone ever use one? If yes where can I get one? Please point me in the right direction .
mikie
Posted 6/10/2021 7:15 AM (#980541 - in reply to #980500)
Subject: Re: PIT Tag Reader

My Muskies Inc chapter is starting to use them as part of a warm water release study on Stonewall Jackson Lake, WV. This is information I got from Jim Moore, our chapter president:

Members,

https://smile.amazon.com/Microchip-Universal-Handheld-Portable-Suppo...

In an effort to find an affordable way for our members to assist in the tracking of PIT tagged muskies in WV waters, we have come upon an inexpensive reader which appears to work fine on the tags used in Stonewall Jackson.

A typical professional scanner from Bio Mark or similar providers can cost from $600 - $700. As you know, DNR and our club has provided a couple for use by members over the years. I have purchased one for my own use and they work very well. Unfortunately, most anglers cannot afford to purchase their own.

The reader in the link below costs around $30 from Amazon. It is designed for pet owners who are now placing PIT tags in their animals. Dr. Kyle Hartman from WVU sent me the link, I purchased one to try. Simple to use, I've tried it on test tags I have and it read them without fail. At the Odie Cutlip outing over the weekend, Researcher Peter Jenkins tested it with his equipment and it read his tags as well. One concern we had previously was that if the tag was deeply imbedded in the fish, maybe it wouldn't find it. Peter tested the reader and it scanned a tag through the thickness of his hand with the reader being held 2 to 3 inches above his hand. With that, it seems it should be satisfactory for our use.

We hope several members will purchase the scanners and help to increase data collected on the SJL fish. The PIT tags are located just below the dorsal fin on the side of the fish (generally the left when viewed from the rear but try both sides if no hit on the left).

The scan takes only a few seconds and can be done in the water or the net. Using directions provided, simply slowly pass the reader over the tag area and listen for a beep. If nothing, you might try again over both sides. A tagged fish will beep and the number appear on the reader. Record this number (maybe 10 digits or longer), general area caught and the length of the fish to pass along to DNR. This data will greatly help as we track as well as assess growth vs. age of our fish along with success of stocking year classes. NOT ALL FISH WILL HAVE PIT TAGS

Hope tha helps. m
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)