Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Okuma Baitcast Reels

Message Subject: Okuma Baitcast Reels
CiscoKid
Posted 9/2/2003 10:27 AM (#80351)
Subject: Okuma Baitcast Reels

Has anyone had any experience with the Okuma Nitryx400 baitcast reel? One of my c3's took a dump on me, and I am looking at getting a different brand.
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/2/2003 10:35 AM (#80353 - in reply to #80351)
Subject: RE: Okuma Baitcast Reels

Travis,

This summer I had the wonderful experience of spending all summer in Wisconsin with Tony Grant. Tony has joined the Okuma Pro-Staff team and I got to use these reels during my 3 month stay in the Eagle River area.

I fish alot and can blow up a 6500 in about a month of fishing. During my stay in Wisconsin I had to send back 4 Garcias to get fixed. During this time Tony had ZERO PROBLEMS with the Okuma reels. These reels are built well and very smooth.

I would highly recommend these reels to any one. If you have any questions you can contact Tony at 800-452-1600 or 715-477-0406.

I am going to switch when all my Abu's finally take a dump, which should be sometime in November.

Hope this helps.

Mike Hulbert
Schuler
Posted 9/2/2003 6:18 PM (#80394 - in reply to #80351)

I kind of disagree. I have an x400 and its not very smooth and makes lots of noise. Also it is big...and heavy. On the other hand, they have a very smooth drag. and do seem pretty well built. I probobly woudlnt' buy another one though. I'd rather have a 6500c3 (except they dont' have thumbars)
ToddM
Posted 9/2/2003 10:43 PM (#80420 - in reply to #80351)

Travis, check out ebay. You can get all kinds of reels and cheap too. I bought a quantum iron 400acs(called something like that) and they "buy it now" is 49 bucks, brand new in the box. It's a 100 dollar reel and it works great. The 300acs(5:3to1) is even cheaper. It's the only reel I have yet to backlash and I cast it alot. It's 6:3 to1 also and has a spool the length of a calcutta 250(in between a 5600 and a 4600). I spooled mine with 65lb power pro. I bought a pflueger supreme low profile reel and really like it too. Handles everything my st croix bucktail rod can throw. Do a search on ebay and they will pop up. Plenty of other good deals too.
reelman
Posted 9/3/2003 1:33 PM (#80488 - in reply to #80394)

Schuler, Check out the Abu 6600SSC3, it is exactly the same as a C3 but with a thumb bar. It is also a kind of neat matte maroon color.
JLR
Posted 12/18/2003 8:21 PM (#91186 - in reply to #80351)

Any updates on the Nitryx? I like my Okuma spinning reels better than my Shimano Stradic that costs twice as much (they are a little heavy though), and was wondering if the Nitryx was a similar quality product at a good price.
MikeHulbert
Posted 12/18/2003 10:22 PM (#91195 - in reply to #80351)

Like I stated before, I switched to the Okuma Nitrix this fall. They are one hell of a reel. The fact that they hold up so well is a HUGE plus. These reels are made great and hold up to the abuse of musky fishing.

I don't find them heavy, and have no complaints about them. One thing you MUST do so they are smooth and NOT noisy is to take them apart as soon as you get them and give them a good oil job. This will help out with smoothness and noise level. Okuma also made taking these reels apart very, very simple. Easy to oil and put back together.

These reels are, by my standards, one of the best reels on the market right now. They are priced right, work great and hold up VERY VERY well.

I would highly recommend this reels to anyone and will continue to use OKUMA products.

If you have any other questions about the Okuma's feel free to contact me by e-mail, [email protected] or 419-553-6570.

Go with Okuma, you won't be disappointed. I simply love these reels.

Mike Hulbert
CiscoKid
Posted 12/19/2003 7:09 AM (#91199 - in reply to #80351)

I had my Okuma for one day, and sent it back. Not happy with it at all. It was not smooth, and the thumbar hung up every once in awhile. No I did not oil it right out of the package because why should I? I should not have to do maintenance on a product before I even use the thing. I also had some problem with the drag, and the spool drag. I would save a little extra money and spend it on a Daiwa.

MikeHulbert
Posted 12/19/2003 7:51 AM (#91205 - in reply to #80351)

Why should you do maintance on something right out of the box???? I don't know, maybe to make it work correctly.

Have you ever bought something that you have to put together? Have you ever bought a lure that you had to modify with better hooks, split rings, etc... When you bought your boat did it come full of gas, oil, ect, when you buy a new battery don't you charge them when you get home, have you ever bought a watch that you had to set when you bought it, the list can go on and on. So that is why you do maintance on things right out of the box. To make them work the way they should.

Mike Hulbert

ChadG
Posted 12/19/2003 9:33 AM (#91212 - in reply to #91205)

Lets see, 2 votes junk, one vote best reel ever made. Hmmm wonder who is getting something for nothing. Truth is if want to use and abuse reels you need ABU GARCIA in the 7000 series. Need proof, ask Johnson, Pearson, Burns, Stange.
ChadG
Posted 12/19/2003 10:43 AM (#91217 - in reply to #80351)

Do you know anyone who fishes harder than Doug Johnson. He tosses big baits too. Ask what is on his rods. Oh I forgot the mention Windells on the list of hardcores with 7000's. You obviously didn't read my post, you need to go with the 7000 if you are going fish a lot. I fished about 65-70 days last year with 3 6500's and only had two fail both in Nov. One of two that failed was 4 yrs old so it was due. I think the failures were due to prematurely engaging the reel. Like you said a little maintance goes a long way.
CiscoKid
Posted 12/19/2003 12:03 PM (#91224 - in reply to #80351)

An opinion was asked on the Nytrix, and I gave it. I did not feel what I paid for the reel was worth it. Just trying to help by telling my experience, and perhaps a few suggestions.

Oh yeh, for the price I would also buy a Mania series Bass Pro reel. I have an original from a few years ago that is still going strong.
ChadG
Posted 12/19/2003 12:53 PM (#91228 - in reply to #80351)

I was wondering about the Mania reels. Thanks for imput.
rpieske
Posted 12/19/2003 12:56 PM (#91229 - in reply to #80351)

I don't know who makes the Pflueger Trion 66, but I bought three of them and they have all performed flawlessly. I fish over 200 days per year and fish both fresh and saltwater. They are a little heavy but then so am I and I have a big hand. For the bucks they are a good reel. But the Shimano Calcutta 400 is still the best reel I own.
matt_obrien50
Posted 12/19/2003 1:18 PM (#91230 - in reply to #80351)

7000's are sweet but they break down too when you use them a lot. I have gone through 2 of them in the last 2 seasons but they are easy enough to get fixed. I have the 6600 Abu too with the thumb bar and love it. I think it is the best reel I have ever used and the thumb bar is great for engageing the reel on figure eights.

Matt
Slamr
Posted 12/19/2003 1:28 PM (#91231 - in reply to #80351)

No reel is perfect, just like no car is perfect (I have great experience with both here, trust me). We all have our opinions, and all have our equipment success stories, as well as our stories of horror and things NOT performing up to standards.
ChadG
Posted 12/19/2003 1:29 PM (#91232 - in reply to #80351)

Matt, what problems did you have with the 7000's? I know they go thru levelwind pawls and occasionally a levelwind. Was you problems more serious than that?
Steve Jonesi
Posted 12/19/2003 1:36 PM (#91233 - in reply to #80351)

Very well said Grasshopper. I agree.I like my 7000's and my Calcuttas but that's me , I'm silly that way.I just hope that when I can fish 200 days a year that I can afford to replace the stuff I've got now.And that I still have the "fiberglass floating dock" (620).Peace to all and to all good fishin'!
ToddM
Posted 12/19/2003 7:28 PM (#91251 - in reply to #80351)

I have been told the pflueger reel is the top of the line reel that shakespear makes. I bought a low profile one and i really like it.

kevin
Posted 12/19/2003 11:28 PM (#91260 - in reply to #80351)

I've used the same 6500 for about 8 years. No problems. My first one did have a problem and was returned for this(could back reel with it). I have used my calcutta 400 less and had more problems. Actually broke a part that shimano didn't think would break(I forget what the part was,it was fixed for free). They wanted to know what I hooked into that did it..nothing, it happened on a cast. I won't use the calcutta 400 for heavy stuff, just the 6500 and ironically the corsair 400(my corsair feels more solid then my calcutta for casting heavier stuff). I say use what brings you confidence when casting. If like Mike, your 6500's, daiwas, shimanos, or penns are not lasting, upgrade to something different. Not positive if Okuna is the company, but one company makes the reels for one of the big named companies like shimano.
sworrall
Posted 12/20/2003 10:22 AM (#91276 - in reply to #91260)

I have two Garcia's that have literally hundreds of hours on them, in fact, probably thousands. I am a guide. I fish ALOT!!  Mine are working well. I have had zero problems. So if that is true, is Mike's blanket statement accurate for all Garcia reels? Obviously not. I had a series of reels built by Okuma. They were good reels, but I did break a couple in the thumbbar. I got them fixed, and still use them. Are they a superior reel? I don't think so. Are they a good reel, that will serve you well? Sure.

It is NOT acceptable to make a blanket statement that a product 'doesn't work', or is 'junk' even though it is your personal opinion. Problem is, when it is published here on MuskieFIRST, because if internet law, your bash becomes OUR published information, and by proxy, OUR opinion.

It is perfectly acceptable to post that you do not like a product, and post what has actually happened in your experience avoiding nasty and derogatory comments. Blanket statements like 'ask any guide, they don't hold up' will not stay, as obviously, that is a bash, and not necessarily accurate. If we leave that statement up, we are inviting litigation.

PLEASE moderate your comments here with this in mind, so we can spend our time trying to make MuskieFIRST the best informational muskie site on the web instead of sitting in court somewhere.

OutdoorsFIRST sometimes takes some heat for our posting permissions policy, because some folks feel we are 'board cops'. In actual fact, we operate carefully within current internet protocol and law. I am not concerned about other sites where free for all bashing and name calling is allowed; but THEY should be.

onelastcast
Posted 12/20/2003 2:01 PM (#91300 - in reply to #80351)

I use and abuse eight Abu's, from eight years old to new this year, and with minimal TLC they seem to be bullet-proof. I have also heard they have great customer service.
stephendawg
Posted 12/20/2003 7:26 PM (#91316 - in reply to #91300)

I own 6 Shimano's, 2 Shakespear's, 3 Bass Pro Shop's, 2 Quantum's, 1 ABU Garcia. From bassin to muskies two things are true...

maintainence pays big dividends and

a good company stands behind it's product.

I prefer Shimano but like to stretch my dollars so ABU Garcia is on the radar for this winter. I KNOW they will take care of any problems just like Shimano has.

JLR
Posted 1/12/2004 7:11 PM (#93329 - in reply to #80351)

I looked at one of the Nitryx [sic] at the Chicago show. They look pretty good. The reel handle is stiffer than the C3/C4's and it looks like the paddles won't fall off. They have a new one in the catalog that looks pretty good too for around $100.
Muskydr
Posted 1/12/2004 8:40 PM (#93341 - in reply to #80351)

Hey Travis!!!!! I use 400 Calcuttas and I like em but they do go down every so often same old backreeling issue especially with a heavy dose of spinnerbaiting and dawgin. I was at Sportsmans repair not too long ago and talked with a guy there who told me that the Diawa Millionaire is a reel that stands up above ALL others as far as breaking down. Same price as a Calcutta, next time I will give the Diawa a try.My ride home from the show sucked!! Freezing rain and snowy icy roads and to top it all of I pulled in the driveway just as the Pack went down!! Had a great time this weekend, Dave

Posted 1/13/2004 3:38 PM (#93395 - in reply to #93341)

I tried the Okuma at the chi town show also, and will have two. I really liked what I saw.
lobi
Posted 1/13/2004 11:31 PM (#93457 - in reply to #80351)

I have one Okuma in a line counter for trolling. It hasn't broke yet but it doesn't feel near as quality as my Daiwa Line counters. There are tons of the Diawa's on the great lakes on the salmon rigs and few Okuma's. Maybe this will change. I wouldn't buy another. I know I'm probably comparing apples to oranges here, you were asking about casting reels not trollers, but the quality differences do show (to me at least). I love my Abu 5601C4. It has the thumb bar (like the 4600) and the line out alarm like the 6600).
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/14/2004 6:52 AM (#93465 - in reply to #80351)

To all of you that stopped by and said hi to Tony Grant and myself, thanks!
Secondly, to those of you that stopped by and check out the Okuma reel I am sure you can see what a great reel it is.

Thanks again,

Mike Hulbert
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)