Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie's Inc Lunge Log Question

Message Subject: Muskie's Inc Lunge Log Question
mm3
Posted 3/28/2021 7:36 AM (#977455)
Subject: Muskie's Inc Lunge Log Question

So, in looking at the muskie inc lunge log, a few things seem unsurprising to me. Like the Suick, bucktails, Mepps, CG, bulldawg being at the top. I would hypothesize that there is a wide distribution across multiple states by fisherman casting and catching fish on these lures.

But I wonder on some other lures like the Wiley and Tuff shad if these counts are domintated by big water trolling in select regions. Are these dominated by trollers on Lake St Clair and maybe some other PA reservoirs? Do fisherman in WI and MN really even use these lures?
IAJustin
Posted 3/28/2021 8:30 AM (#977456 - in reply to #977455)
Subject: Re: Muskie's Inc Lunge Log Question

Yes and yes
mikie
Posted 3/28/2021 9:01 AM (#977457 - in reply to #977455)

Keep in mind, I don't think this is just an annual compilation, but more a historical record. Many of these baits have been around for a while. m
ps - Ohia and WV give those Tuff Shads quite a workout, too, from what I've seen. m
ToddM
Posted 3/28/2021 9:21 AM (#977458 - in reply to #977455)

These questions can be answered based on your search criteria.

Edited by ToddM 3/28/2021 9:21 AM
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/28/2021 11:02 AM (#977461 - in reply to #977458)

I use Tuff Shads all the time in Wisconsin and they are not just for trolling. Have put many fish in the boat casting them. They have rattles in them and make a lot of noise twitching and ripping them. The 5" are good during summer and the 8" is great in the fall. Team Rhino has a ton of these in great colors.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 3/28/2021 11:07 AM
RobertK
Posted 3/28/2021 5:27 PM (#977470 - in reply to #977455)

The Lunge Log is good fun, especially if you're a data person. You need to be careful about making definitive conclusions when you try to interpret your queries, but that's part of the fun. For instance, does the fact that 60% of all muskies caught by Muskies, Inc members on Lake X are caught in October mean: 1) Muskies are definitely moving on Lake X in October compared to other months -OR- 2) Lots of Muskies, Inc members fish Lake X in October because that's when the the jet skiers finally leave the lake.

For me, the Lunge Log is practically worth the annual membership fee by itself. Then there's the satisfaction of knowing that your dues also support stocking, research, and youth outreach on top of that? Good value, I think.

Bob
ToddM
Posted 3/28/2021 7:14 PM (#977472 - in reply to #977455)

It's still a great database to gather info and worth joining Muskies inc. Pete Maina for instance has over 900 entries in the log. Most entries will be helpful, one in particular won't be, nobody caught a musky from trilby lake, the DNR minnow rearing pond.
Muskie Gal
Posted 3/29/2021 9:16 AM (#977477 - in reply to #977472)

Data is only as good as the data that is put in. I don't know of anybody that makes entries.
MstormC
Posted 3/29/2021 10:43 AM (#977479 - in reply to #977477)

Muskie Gal - 3/29/2021 9:16 AM

Data is only as good as the data that is put in. I don't know of anybody that makes HONEST entries.

Fixed it for you.  

sworrall
Posted 3/29/2021 10:47 AM (#977480 - in reply to #977455)

'I don't know' doesn't get either of you very far. I DO know anglers who are quite accurate about what they enter. I DO NOT know any who are not. I have sent an email to the manager of the Lunge Log and will summarize his response as soon as I receive it.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/29/2021 11:32 AM (#977481 - in reply to #977480)

There are no secret lakes, secret spots, or secret lures. Do you really think someone is going to see your lunge log entry, buy that lure, and go fish that spot on that lake?

I look at it this way: If someone is going to spend the time to dissect the lunge long to find where to fish, what to fish with, when and under what conditions, they're about as much of a threat to "my" fishing as kid with a bobber and a can of corn.

ToddM
Posted 3/29/2021 11:39 AM (#977482 - in reply to #977455)

Everyone I know who enters fish does so honestly. Rooting around I found the trilby lake entry I always found that one humourous. With the amount of entries it's a reflection not honesty. I know awhile back naming the lake was a contentious issue but you have to take a step back and ask what is the lunge log for? Personal accolades or a data base to make the organization worth joining. I see it as the latter.

Edited by ToddM 3/29/2021 11:40 AM
sworrall
Posted 3/29/2021 12:26 PM (#977483 - in reply to #977455)

"For over 50 years the Lunge Log has been a very informative database of muskies voluntarily registered by members of Muskies, Inc. Most of our participating members use the Lunge Log as a record keeping system for the muskies they have caught and to contribute their catches to the growing database.

Most of our members want to contribute accurate data; I think that is the norm, but that doesn't mean there are not some exceptions. Personally, this is the 45th year that I've been involved with the Lunge Log. I know many members who go to great lengths to make sure every one of their entries is accurate. I've also run across a few that do not.

This will be my 4th season as Lunge Log Administrator. I'm proud of the contributions to the Lunge Log database by our members. A number of fisheries agencies use data from the Lunge Log; these include Ohio DNR and Ontario MNRF.

As of today, over 429,800 muskies have been entered into the Lunge Log since 1970."

Kevin Richards
MUSKIE Magazine
Lunge Log Administrator
--------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for everything you do, Mr Richards.
IAJustin
Posted 3/29/2021 12:31 PM (#977484 - in reply to #977481)

esoxaddict - 3/29/2021 11:32 AM

There are no secret lakes, secret spots, or secret lures. Do you really think someone is going to see your lunge log entry, buy that lure, and go fish that spot on that lake?

EA, overwhelmingly the answer to your question is YES! ...there are still plenty of lakes that if the amount and size of fish being caught was published accurately in Muskies Inc ..pressure would increase dramatically!
true tiger tamer
Posted 3/29/2021 12:33 PM (#977485 - in reply to #977455)

I enter my fish and do so honestly. Accurate entries allow local fishery departments to better manage the resource. I know some that aren't honest, but overall I think most anglers who enter fish are, unfortunately a lot of members don't enter fish (which I understand protecting the few little known or unknown spots) but it kind of defeats the purpose of helping to better manage the resources. Just my 2 cents.
ToddM
Posted 3/29/2021 1:36 PM (#977488 - in reply to #977485)

true tiger tamer - 3/29/2021 12:33 PM

I enter my fish and do so honestly. Accurate entries allow local fishery departments to better manage the resource. I know some that aren't honest, but overall I think most anglers who enter fish are, unfortunately a lot of members don't enter fish (which I understand protecting the few little known or unknown spots) but it kind of defeats the purpose of helping to better manage the resources. Just my 2 cents.

This is a great point. The DNR does pay attention to the log as well as fishing reports. It's feedback to them. I remember an instance a few years ago we caught a 50lb flathead and the biologist seen it in the paper. He also manages musky waters and at an IMA meeting mentioned he would love it if people would send him stuff like this directly they look at this.

Edited by ToddM 3/29/2021 1:37 PM
CincySkeez
Posted 3/29/2021 3:56 PM (#977492 - in reply to #977455)

Only "dishonest" practice I see on the lunge log, is people will wait a few weeks to post a fish for fear of a spot getting blown up.

I'm totally fine with this practice btw
nar160
Posted 3/30/2021 10:40 AM (#977518 - in reply to #977455)
Subject: RE: Muskie's Inc Lunge Log Question

I've spent a lot of time looking at the lunge log and crunching the data from various angles. I find the dishonesty to be fairly minor. Some notables:

- people enter fish into a lake they didn't catch it (common with DL for example)
- on many lakes there are more fish at exactly 50" than 49" and 49.5" combined
- A very few individuals are lying blatantly about size & numbers

Mostly it seems people just don't enter their fish if they don't want to give any information away.

As some evidence of the accuracy of the data, here is a comparison of the lunge log average size vs. DNR survey average size across several lakes. They are often very close and nearly always show the general trend. Note: on some a survey isn't available and on some there aren't many entries in the LL (orange).

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(LL vs DNR survey size.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LL vs DNR survey size.jpg (64KB - 299 downloads)
chuckski
Posted 4/3/2021 2:58 PM (#977674 - in reply to #977455)

Back in the day you did not have to name the lake I caught a 50" with a MI member and he made sure I did not reveal the lakes name. A few years later Jim Bunch changed that.
ToddM
Posted 4/3/2021 8:37 PM (#977682 - in reply to #977674)

chuckski - 4/3/2021 2:58 PM

Back in the day you did not have to name the lake I caught a 50" with a MI member and he made sure I did not reveal the lakes name. A few years later Jim Bunch changed that.

It begs the question is the lunge log's primary benefit a contest to benefit an individual or a database to benefit all members and a selling point to join.
RLSea
Posted 4/3/2021 8:47 PM (#977684 - in reply to #977455)

Just my opinion, but, if you use the lunge log, you should contribute to its data honestly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)