Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Favorite glider setup?

Message Subject: Favorite glider setup?
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 12/17/2020 4:47 PM (#972737)
Subject: Favorite glider setup?

What do yinz use for gliders? I´ve heard shorter rods and high IPT reels are better but don´t know much about fishing with glide baits, Thanks for any responses i get!
HighonFirewood
Posted 12/24/2020 9:11 AM (#972880 - in reply to #972737)
Subject: Re: Favorite glider setup?

I got three Thorne bros custom rods made this year. My glider rod is 8”3 XH but with 20” of handle. So it sits ultra light feeling and is more like a 8’ ..but get a Tranx 400 HG. It’s the best musky reel on earth. It’ll pick up line no problem. It works hellhounds, squirkos, suicks..side to side only rod. Dive/rise I use a longer rod
Ranger
Posted 12/24/2020 1:59 PM (#972887 - in reply to #972737)

A buddy made a custom glider rod for me. Sorta short, 6'2", so I can tap down and not hit the surface of the water. (At that time my boat was a 14' Blue Finn and when standing my feet were just above the surface of the water.) Heavy action so I can control anything up to a big Timberwolf that works so well for me. Ambassadeur 5600AB with the anti-backlash #*#* stripped out, upgraded bearings, gears, drag washers and handle. 80# PowerPro tied to a Bucher Super Splitring attached to a bearing swivel attached to 10" of 240# straight wire attached to a Stringease snap that's snapped to another Bucher ring attached to the glider.

I would never use a long rod for a glider. A short rod allows two things....1) tapping down without hitting the water and 2) tapping up to make the glider "slurp" the surface.

ToddM
Posted 12/24/2020 9:57 PM (#972894 - in reply to #972737)

I like my old 8' st croix avid alot. For reels though I tried the high speed models but went back to a slower reel. One of the triggers on a glider, jerk or twitch bait is the pause. The slower reel forces a longer pause. I believe it creates more strikes.
kirkkopplin
Posted 12/25/2020 9:18 AM (#972895 - in reply to #972737)
Subject: RE: Favorite glider setup?

I have two Jerk bait rods one 8' H and one 8'6" XH, the 8' is for smaller jerk baits and the 8' 6" is for larger baits. Both are bulldawg pro series rods. I did extend the handles on each rod 4". With the shorter handles the rod butt rested between my bicep and tricep and it was pretty uncomfortable.
southern comfort
Posted 12/25/2020 9:19 AM (#972896 - in reply to #972737)

I have a custom predator hvy with 2" off the tip. Total length is 7'10". I combine in it with a tranx 400 hg. For me the weight/length of the rod allows for the right action but is long enough to cast small suicks. Real short heavy rods are harder for me to cast smaller gliders. The tranx hg is prfect for line pick-up.
twofishy4u
Posted 12/25/2020 6:00 PM (#972915 - in reply to #972737)

I have a hard time in my 16' boat on the casting deck with a 7'6" rod being too long and hitting the water while pulling the rod down for suicks and bobbies. With these 8'ers what are you guys doing? Your boats that much taller? I'm not tall but not short either....5'11"
Masqui-ninja
Posted 12/26/2020 7:27 AM (#972925 - in reply to #972737)

I know it's the wrong answer, but I use a 9'er for gliders. Once you get past 7' or so, you just have to work it off to the side a bit, and use your reel a bit more. It takes about one day to get used to it. Going straight down with a shorter rod is more comfortable if working a glider all day, but for me, being able to just carry a couple of different rod actions is the deal.
mikie
Posted 12/26/2020 9:49 AM (#972930 - in reply to #972737)

7.5 ' XH TI rod with 6500 C4 Abu Garcia and 12" Stealth wire leader works for me. I added a Jig Ripper and that's made it even so very much better. m
nar160
Posted 12/29/2020 11:07 AM (#973010 - in reply to #972737)

I've tried a number of rods between 7' and 9'6" and currently use an 8'2." When that bites the dust I'll go to a 9.' The newer rods are so light they aren't overly fatiguing to work even in 9'. I'd much rather do that and have a rod that I can use for other purposes than have a specialized setup.
North of 8
Posted 12/29/2020 12:24 PM (#973011 - in reply to #973010)

I use a 7'6" TI XH as well, with a Revo Toro S. I like the shorter rod over the 8'6" I previously used. I think they both work, just personal preference.
ToddM
Posted 12/29/2020 2:59 PM (#973018 - in reply to #972915)

twofishy4u - 12/25/2020 6:00 PM

I have a hard time in my 16' boat on the casting deck with a 7'6" rod being too long and hitting the water while pulling the rod down for suicks and bobbies. With these 8'ers what are you guys doing? Your boats that much taller? I'm not tall but not short either....5'11"

I work the rod across my body vs up and down. I can even work gliders with my 9'3" that way. The only time I won't is working the starboard side in my 14' boat because the longer rod is near my boat partner in the back. Then I will use an 8' rod.
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/30/2020 1:45 PM (#973039 - in reply to #973011)

North of 8 - 12/29/2020 1:24 PM

I use a 7'6" TI XH as well, with a Revo Toro S. I like the shorter rod over the 8'6" I previously used. I think they both work, just personal preference.

This is the setup I just put together for for gliders. I haven't had the chance to use it yet though. I've been using my 7'6" mh with with a lexa 300 for 6"ers but didn't really like the effort/action from this setup ( too mushy) . It works but I prefer a crisper snap when working the bait. I have also used a 9'3" h ( with revo toro s) and 9'3" xh ( with lexa 400). The reels work just fine but I found for me at least ( being new to this) with the longer and heavier rods I wasn't getting " consistent " action and control. Fishing from the bank i worry about any baits that sink and that has an effect as well. The problem with fishing gear is that you won't know until you try it. Manufacturers "stats" aren't always accurate, even if they are you might " want something " that actually doesn't fit your style and preferences. You have to weigh all this with YOUR size,strength,budget,preference... I wish you could just use 2 rods for the entire range of baits but you simply can't. Look at all the baits, sizes ,and styles you prefer and take it from there with what will match those techniques. Another thing to consider is casting distance/ accuracy . If your going to be fishing smaller water with cover you may not want a longer rod. Fishing open water you might.. Keep in mind most of these guys are fishing big river systems and giant lakes!!! I would suggest looking at all the water where you want to fish 90% of the time and match your gear to that. The other 10% you can adjust and make work. Hope this helps someone out there!
FlyPiker
Posted 1/3/2021 7:41 PM (#973128 - in reply to #972737)

I started using my reel this fall instead of the rod. Just made for less wear and tear on the body as I usually use gliders when I need a rest from rubber or rubber just isn’t producing. So far only I’ve only got pike to notice, but that basically summed up my entire year. 8’ rod, can still use rod just do more to-the-side action. Ultimately, it all depends on your height, how high you are off the water typically, etc...
bbeaupre
Posted 1/5/2021 3:22 PM (#973187 - in reply to #972737)
Subject: RE: Favorite glider setup?

I guess I fall outside the box. I use a 8'6 and prefer an 8' at least for glides. I use a slow speed reel (5:1). I use the reel with the small glides to work them and small twitches with the midsized on a mojo H. I use almost the same setup with a XH rod for the 10" glides.
RJ_692
Posted 1/8/2021 7:50 AM (#973278 - in reply to #972737)

Its been touched on here a few times but i think the main thing is you do not want to continuously smack your rod tip in the water, so you need a rod length, or retrieval technique that keeps that from happening. Generally i think the longer the rod you can get away with is better. Casting deck height over water is a big part of that.

EX...a 5'6" caster in a Lund Alaskan vs a 6'4" caster in a Ranger 621FS. There are going to need to be rod length or retrieval technique differences to remain efficient.

Personally i use a St. Croix LT Jerk, I like a 6:3+ ratio, for many years used a ABU C4, Now use a Revo Toro with HS gears, would also be nice with a HS Tranx probably. I like the shorter length for any walk the dog type actions, glider and top water. I use both bait styles enough I seem to be able to justify having a technique specific rod.
TCESOX
Posted 1/8/2021 5:21 PM (#973308 - in reply to #972737)

I don't throw a lot of gliders, but when I do, I like the wider swinging ones with a slow decent. I use lots of pauses and am very erratic in my retrieve. For this I use a longer rod with a high speed reel. I do throw top water walk the dogs quite a bit, and for those, I prefer a 7' rod with a lower gear ratio reel. This is because with the gliders, it is no issue to work it to the side, as I'm not trying to keep any kind of rhythm. With the top waters, I prefer to keep a constant rhythm, marching the bait along with short strokes. Only occasionally pausing. The lower gear reel keeps me from over cranking and losing the slack needed to keep the rhythm. The short rod, is because I use a straight down stroke, to better keep a consistent, repeatable stroke. Also, that is how I learned to walk the dog, and it's just easier for me. Of course I may be overdoing it, but I have six casting set ups, ready to go, in the boat. Since I have rod locker space, why not have exactly the set up I want for each application that I might use?
leech lake strain
Posted 1/21/2021 5:41 PM (#974108 - in reply to #972737)

I used to always use a 7'6 but i lost a real nice fish a couple yrs ago that ate the glider and swam towards the boat. I set the hook and raised the rod and backed up as far as i could as quick as i could but i count stay tight on her and she came free. Ill never know but would a 9' rod kept me tight enough? Since then i use a longer rod and actually prefer it now anyway.
Muskyrookie
Posted 1/21/2021 11:38 PM (#974131 - in reply to #974108)

leech lake strain - 1/21/2021 6:41 PM

I used to always use a 7'6 but i lost a real nice fish a couple yrs ago that ate the glider and swam towards the boat. I set the hook and raised the rod and backed up as far as i could as quick as i could but i count stay tight on her and she came free. Ill never know but would a 9' rod kept me tight enough? Since then i use a longer rod and actually prefer it now anyway.

Sucks that you lost it. Sounds like reeling instead of walking would've been the best choice. A couple turns of the handle would've brought in more line than a longer rod and a few steps in a boat. Sounds like that fish may have been hooked and got off before. Longer rod picks up more line but is it right all the time ? Thats a personal preference with how and what you are fishing. Went out to try my new setup over the weekend 7'6" with 29" reel but the lake was covered with ice so I didn't get the chance.

To the op, you can toss those smaller glides on just about any musky rod/reel. Some will work better than others.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)