Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> AC Shiner Q?

Message Subject: AC Shiner Q?
mikie
Posted 12/26/2020 9:54 AM (#972931)
Subject: AC Shiner Q?

Christmas brought me an AC Shiner 675 minnow bait. Very shad-y looking, should be fun. When I went to T the hooks, they seemed to bend a bit easy. I have some VMC 1/0 trebles that appear to be a next size larger and certainly stronger.
The propaganda with the bait says each bait is tank tested "and adjusted to give the best fish catching action."
Will i be losing any action with the larger, heavier hooks? I'd rather keep the middle hook if possible. thanks, m
ESOX Maniac
Posted 12/26/2020 10:43 AM (#972932 - in reply to #972931)
Subject: Re: AC Shiner Q?

Mikie, Only one way to know for sure. Test it in the water as is, then modify in steps and test again. BTW: even T'ing the hooks could change the action or sound of the lure.

Have fun!
7ovr50
Posted 12/27/2020 4:23 PM (#972962 - in reply to #972931)

I've used the 675 as a twitch bait with the "stock" hooks with no problems. I did T the hooks and I did back off the drag because of the hooks. So far the bait holds fish as well as any other bait. No hook problems so far. Good Luck
mikie
Posted 12/27/2020 4:32 PM (#972963 - in reply to #972931)

That was my intent, to use it for cold water twitching. I may just hang onto the factory hooks for a bit, then; like Al said, see how it works first. Supposed to be 50* here Wednesday, HMMM. thanks so much, m
jase2
Posted 12/28/2020 5:38 AM (#972974 - in reply to #972931)

mikie I would leave the factory hooks on. I think the only way to get them off is cut them anyway because they are put directly on the hanger (not split ring.) IMHO when you take those off and add rings and then larger hooks it will change the action from what the manufacturer intended. Will it catch fish? Sure. I have several AC that I have done that with because the hooks were just worn out from being bent back into shape and resharpened. They work fine that way, but they are different. Also with the rings the hooks swing more and I was having trouble at one point with the middle and front hooks hanging up on the back of the bait. Smaller rings seem to have helped the problem. AC are a tremendous bait. I say that especially about the AC 00. In Ohio that is our go to when things get really tough.
mikie
Posted 12/28/2020 7:12 AM (#972975 - in reply to #972974)

Thanks, I'm not gonna mess with it for now, based on what I'm reading here. My bait does have split rings - actually, pretty good looking ones. Do you like a steady retrieve or a twitch? m
7ovr50
Posted 12/31/2020 7:09 PM (#973066 - in reply to #972931)

Also bait works well with a pull dive and rise retrieve when the water warms. There are days they hammer it just before it breaks the surface on the rise.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)